unknown noise from behind dash, left of steering whell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(Or steering 'wheel', whatever). I've been getting this noise all fall/winter. Comes from behind the dash, up high, somewhere right of the pillar and left of the wheel. Happens consistently on the first start of the morning, does not happen after car is warmed up, (or it might, but only for a few seconds).
It sounds like this: a small pump that is on a one-second stroke cycle and is creaky/dry/dirty. A little higher-pitched.
On the worst mornings, it goes for about one minute, then shuts off completely.
Anyone?

Does it sound anything like the noise I captured on video in this thread? It only happens to me during the first startup of the day and only when its below ~40°F. My noise lasts for about 4-5 seconds, longer if it's colder, and then goes away and doesn't return until the next cold start. I will say that mine never lasts 1 minute not even close to it; however, I see you are in the NW and if it's the same noise that I'm experiencing maybe the much colder temperatures are making it worse.

Odd Noise From Engine Bay During Startup - NOT Header Tick

Last edited:
it is inside the cabin, not an engine compartment noise. I'll try to attach a vid here.

The only motor-like thing in that area could be a actuator for
it is inside the cabin, not an engine compartment noise. I'll try to attach a vid here.
There are actuators for the climate vents & thermostat under there. If your dial is set to AUTO they'll move by themselves. Cold temperatures can make things noisier.

It sounds a little like a saw going back and forth in wood. I'll fiddle with the climate controls and see what I can get. Thank you!

I think I’ve got this happening. Sounds like a little motor whirring. @Ayune is probably right. When I heard it the other morning I turned off the A/C and it went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom