Unknown Aluminum Oil Filter Housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Completed my first ever oil change myself on my LX this past weekend. What a PITA compared to my 100/4Runner.

I noticed a Made in China aluminum filter housing. Had no idea it was down there since I was expecting the stock plastic one.

Any reason to change it out? It fit the filter and the threads/oring seating surfaces appeared just fine.

Oil pressure is normal on the gauge during operation.

Should I worry about it being so poorly made it is not actually filtering the oil?

Thanks in advance!

Pictures?

The plastic ones break so often and the cover itself goes on a lot of toyota engines.. I could see some supplier thinking producing cheap ones in china would make some money.

What bloc said. I have the oem metal one from a Venza (?) on mine, with the swapped Landcruiser guts. I am among the many waiting on the milled aluminum one from here (bjowett). Looks like a very high quality replacement. As long as yours doesn't leak and holds pressure, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just upgrade when you change the oil next.

What bloc said. I have the oem metal one from a Venza (?) on mine, with the swapped Landcruiser guts. I am among the many waiting on the milled aluminum one from here (bjowett). Looks like a very high quality replacement. As long as yours doesn't leak and holds pressure, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just upgrade when you change the oil next.

Did the same. Broke the plastic one during the 2nd oil change. Bought one from Venza and used guts from the plastic one.

The factory aluminum version of the part (15620-31060) is under $30 and available for less. I don't see why someone would balk at that kind of low cost upgrade.

My very first oil change broke the plastic one so went to OReilly's and got aluminum one. I am 4 oil changes in now with that aftermarket most likely China made no issues.

My very first oil change broke the plastic one so went to OReilly's and got aluminum one. I am 4 oil changes in now with that aftermarket most likely China made no issues.

That’s what I think is on mine. Some knockoff. No signs of leaks and like I said, fit up was just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom