1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unintstalling a Viper Alarm

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LoveTractor, Aug 23, 2006.

1. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been having car alarm issues for about a week now with the 80. I disarm my Viper alarm, hop in, turn the ignition, and lights go on for a split second and then nothing. Nada. Starter doesn't even make an effort. The first time it happened a week ago, I assumed it was a dead battery and thought to jump it. As soon as I touched the jumper to the positive terminal, the alarm starts going off. Not the battery?:confused: I jumped in and it started, but the engine revved up 3 times and all my electronics had reset. The computer reset itself?:confused:
    It's happened 4 times in the last week, so I decided to screw the alarm. I'll get to it when I have time to get to it.:rolleyes: I toss the key fob into the kitchen drawer so my wife and I can't even arm the alarm.
    Well, the wifey goes out to take the 80 to school. Hops in and turns the ignition. Alarm starts going off.:crybaby: We didn't arm it.:confused: She didn't see where I'd put the key fob, so she starts screaming at me at 6:40am to get up and do something. I scramble to find the key fob. Look through the window to see a couple neighbors coming out to try and see some thieves.:doh: I find it, run out, push the button, it turns off. Try the ignition. Alarm goes off again.:crybaby: Reset the alarm. I get a lot more beeps than usual.:confused: I try to start it again and it turns.:cheers: Wifey screams that she hates the Cruiser:confused: :doh: :mad: and drives off. Oh well.:flipoff2:
    I'm sick of this thing. I've had problems with it in the past. It's not that factory alarm; it's a cheap Viper. I see the red wire going from the battery and through firewall. I haven't really taken a look under the dash to see where it ends up(she's got the car right now). I see the bloody siren. How do I tear this alarm out?
    ...or do you think I just need a new battery?
    TIA

2. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    My viper alarm's brain unit was attached to the siren. I cut the wires leading to the siren and removed the battery wire.

done.

May not be as simple with your set up, but a competant electronics shop should be able to tell you what it would take, or un-install it for around $50.

3. Koffer

Koffer

It sounds like you need to clean the batt terms as your getting a high resistance conn. when you go to pull alot of amps while starting . The alarm will go off when you 1st give it power again the the brain will reset too .

4. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

There's usually a relay that disables the starter circuit. The relay may or my not be the actual problem. But if your starter does not crank, it is most likely that relay that is staying open.

5. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll try all of the above(taking it in as a last resort) later this evening and get back. Thanks for all your help.
    :flipoff2:

6. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

I have nothing useful to add to the above. But I have a Viper alarm too, and I've found that the extra beeps mean that your vehicle was "disturbed" at some point while it was armed.

7. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    That could very well be it. I've always had the hood up and the front door open while tweaking the battery trying to get the damn thing working again. I've never held or seen a Viper instruction manual so that sounds right on the money. Thanks.

8. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
  9. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    I tried earlier to navigate that site...or at least tried to compare pics of key fobs to find my model. Couldn't find it. I guess they're all generally wired the same so I should just pick one manual and try to work an install backwards.

10. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:

this link has all the instalation guides. http://www.drdetailshop.com/deiownersguides.htm

one of the those threads mentioned that the fcc number on the back is how you determine which model viper you have.

11. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    On the back of the fob? That's what I thought at first too. Number on the back of the fob=EZSDEI476. Turns out it's a seperate replacement key fob you can get for any Viper alarm. I think. I'm still lookin' around.

12. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    Mine did the same thing...started to get possessed...

I just followed the wires and pulled them all out. the shock sensor, switch, power and all is well now!

There was a TON of wiring with mine...bottom of dash is much cleaner.

13. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    ALRIGHT! Car's home, I found the alarm system, and I got a pic. It's a 600HF model. Also, turns out the red wire was power to a bling amp that I supposedly dissconnected.:rolleyes:
    Question now is where's the power? The 2 alarm wires seem to be going to the fuse box. I see the antenna, shock sensor, and button(that I didn't even know existed). Then there are the two white terminals hooked in. What are those? Lights and locks?
    Better pic below. I'm also reading the manual and it has a FailSafe Starter Kill system. Hmmmm.

14. 619TOY

619TOY

I believe that if you trace the yel & org wires upwards, they will lead you to the starter kill relay. At which point you will probably need a meter to accurately diagnose the problem (or you could just re-connect the two ends of the starter wire).

15. 619TOY

619TOY

Sorry, accidently hit the post reply button prematurely. Next trace and disconnect the red (power wire). This much will effectively remove the alarm from your electrical system. You can now re-mount everything or diconnect the "brain" and tie up what remains or lastly, the best thing, trace and disconnect all remaining wires and insulate the spots that were tapped into.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">