Uniden PRO520XL ..install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that I will eventually be using a Ham but in the interim I'm installing a Uniden pro520 lx into ashtray slot. I have checked Slees install on this unit but cant tell from all the discussions if you loose the ability to secure the lower dash screws in the trimming process. Do those two ashtray screws get eliminated when trimming? if so seems the dash would be loose. Thanks for any help from those of you that have done this install.

I know that I will eventually be using a Ham but in the interim I'm installing a Uniden pro520 lx into ashtray slot. I have checked Slees install on this unit but cant tell from all the discussions if you loose the ability to secure the lower dash screws in the trimming process. Do those two ashtray screws get eliminated when trimming? if so seems the dash would be loose. Thanks for any help from those of you that have done this install.

I have the same radio waiting to install. Im looking for another location though or try running an external speaker. I fear the speaker with the unit would sound quite muffled.

Judicious use of a file on either side is enough to open the ashtray slot enough to slide the cb in. the screws are still in place. However, over time and with repeated removal of the dash surround I found that the plastic screw holes eventually cracked. I epoxied a couple steel washers over the holes to reinforce them. I don't have anything else holding the cb in place aside from a tight fit. It doesn't move until I slide it out.
A right angle coax connector helps with routing the antenna cable.

If you are eventually going HAM then just take the test and get a $40 hand held HAM radio and save your dash. Most amateur radio clubs will test every month or so. Some even offer a HAM Cram class where you do it over a full Saturday. That's what I did. I studied on my own for a few weeks then did the 8hr class with the test at the end to get my license.

It's still possible to use the dash screws after trimming for the CB. I have the same one and the screws are still in place. I used a dremel to do the trimming. I trimmed just enough to fit the radio. I did nothing else to hold the radio in place and it's just held in place by the friction of putting it into the slot. Has been solid for 5 years now.

@graymudder, the speaker on the CB is not obstructed since the dash is fairly open underneath the ashtray. I've never felt the need for an external speaker. The volume has been more than adequate without.

This pic shows my install as well as my HAM radio in the center console. This obviously required some trimming of the console.
IMG_7702 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I’m not trying to start the flame war between CB and Ham. But please explain to me, for my own edification, how this is going to work.

I use a CB because 90% of the people I wheel with use one. If they all used Ham, that’s what would be in my truck instead. I believe it is more important to be able to communicate with those in your group than it is to have whichever you like in your vehicle.

So why put a CB in until you can get a Ham? Is your group/friend/whatever going to be using a CB in the interim as well?

I’m not trying to start the flame war between CB and Ham. But please explain to me, for my own edification, how this is going to work.

I use a CB because 90% of the people I wheel with use one. If they all used Ham, that’s what would be in my truck instead. I believe it is more important to be able to communicate with those in your group than it is to have whichever you like in your vehicle.

So why put a CB in until you can get a Ham? Is your group/friend/whatever going to be using a CB in the interim as well?

Each person should consider their needs and intended use before deciding on which radio type to use (HAM, CB, GMRS, FRS, etc).

IF the majority of your group is using CB, your needs for communication are fairly short range and these excursions are infrequent, then CB (well installed and tuned) makes good sense. There is no testing, no license required and anyone can use it. Legal output 4 watts (AM) or 12 watts (SSB).

GMRS is growing in popularity. The radios available (mobile) can be up to 50 watts. There is no testing involved....but there is a licensing fee ($65.00 for 5 years). It is basically what CB was many years ago...only more powerful. Only one license is required per family (family members can piggyback). The downside...is the license renewal every 5 years.

HAM is whole 'nother ball game. There are different levels of Amateur Radio Operation. This will require studying and testing.
$15 for the test, but the 10 year license is free and free to renew (if done online through the FCC ULS System). Most weekend adventurers won't go to the trouble. There are definite advantages to HAM, but at present it falls far behind in popularity with most weekend travelers.

FRS can be useful in a limited number of situations and circumstances. Also consider with each system just exactly WHO you can talk to or listen in on. This might help you with the decision making.

For me, it's not one or the other. Different tools, different use. Most people I go out with have CBs and we use that to communicate. However, a ham serves me better when going into the outback.

Last edited:
I just installed a 520 in the ash tray slot. After taking the dash trim off I removed the metal clips that the lower screws go into. With some Dremel and file work I was able to cut down and lower the tabs that those clips sat over so they could be reinstalled below the CB. I little file work on the trim piece and I was still able to use the original holes in that to put the screws back in. It's a tight fit and a longer screw driver is required but my dash is nice and tight.

I didn't trust the "press fit" of the CB in the dash so I made up a little bracket from some sheet metal and used a couple short screws to secure it to the air duct under the CB so it had a solid mount. There's a pic of it in my "build" thread.

I also followed the Slee write up on changing out the connector on the back of the CB. Even with a 90 degree fitting it sticks out quite a bit and if you have the 3D printed Cup holders it gets in the way of one of them. With the cable end on the back you can push the radio back to nearly flush with the trim piece and it really looks clean.

For me, it's not one or the other. Different tools, different use. Most people I go out with have CBs and we use that to communicate. However, a ham serves me better when going into the outback.

Exactly this.

The bottom line is communication, so use whatever the folks you go out with are using regardless of the reason. It comes down to what the group prefers and has. I don’t care about the reasons others are listing because trying to get a large group of wheelers to change something they already have in their rig is nigh impossible. Just ask the folks at Rising Sun when they tried to force Cruise Moab into Ham a few years ago. The forest service uses business radios which are handheld and work over great distances. That would be ideal. Too bad they are around $2,500 apiece.

So if you show up to a bunch of guys running one and try to argue they should switch to the other? Good luck with that.

Even if your intended use is different than the group, you need to be able to communicate with them so the arguments for which is better or why are null.

Back to the OPs question: many of us just velcro the small radios to the console AZ long side of the hand brake. Easy to hear, and easy to reach .

I just installed a 520 in the ash tray slot. After taking the dash trim off I removed the metal clips that the lower screws go into. With some Dremel and file work I was able to cut down and lower the tabs that those clips sat over so they could be reinstalled below the CB. I little file work on the trim piece and I was still able to use the original holes in that to put the screws back in. It's a tight fit and a longer screw driver is required but my dash is nice and tight.

I didn't trust the "press fit" of the CB in the dash so I made up a little bracket from some sheet metal and used a couple short screws to secure it to the air duct under the CB so it had a solid mount. There's a pic of it in my "build" thread.

I also followed the Slee write up on changing out the connector on the back of the CB. Even with a 90 degree fitting it sticks out quite a bit and if you have the 3D printed Cup holders it gets in the way of one of them. With the cable end on the back you can push the radio back to nearly flush with the trim piece and it really looks clean.
Looks like the Slee instructions are no longer available. Does anyone have insight into how to get a 520 to sit [nearly] flush in the dash?

Looks like the Slee instructions are no longer available. Does anyone have insight into how to get a 520 to sit [nearly] flush in the dash?
You have to remove the factory antenna connector and solder in a pigtail connector so that you can push the radio further in.

I don't use those screws anymore, I've had this installed for years and its never been an issue. Fitment isn't hard, just trim what looks like it needs to be trimmed and stuff it in there.
20200702_155117.jpg

Changing to a pigtail makes a huge difference in how far you can push the radio back into the dash. Once I changed to the pigtail I could fit Yeti type cups in the holder without hitting my radio buttons.

pre-mod
742A5C9B-054D-4BE6-8FED-4835FD637067.jpeg

After
2DA54A5C-7AE8-493A-88DA-70660C200FC8.jpeg
C39632AF-6113-4D70-9965-BE45A262FAEF.jpeg

Yeah you have to solder in the pig tail, can't do it any other way. I had to cut a little of the plastic away around the screws that hold the dash in to get it to slide back even more. I did it so the screws could be reused and made a bracket to hold the radio in all the way. You probably don't need the screws or bracket but I like overkill.

Bracket.jpg
Finished Radio.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom