Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i forgot the other outstanding item is to get the tach to work.... found this thread out there....

In some places it is illegal to have headlights and fog lights on at the same time. Combined, that amount of light half blinds drivers coming at you. Mine were originally wired to a black box that prevented both sets to be on together. When the box went bad I wired the fogs to be active on demand. When I take the truck for inspection I always put the plastic caps on the fogs, proving fogs won’t be on when headlights are.

Been getting a lot of little wiring stuff done… radio in, and made a bracket for microswitch to turn on the reverse lights. My son is 3-D printed a piece to be glued to the white portion of that indicator that will engage the microswitch.

ABEF7BA6-4469-4418-92DE-8169BE409F33.jpeg

45A92012-EDEB-45B4-803D-79DA8224020B.jpeg

5E60F396-9490-4EC6-B495-E7CD343717C2.jpeg

Then there was this simple little task…. The air conditioning switch would stick on so I took it apart to figure out what was causing the issue and as I did a little part flew across my shop with the spring…. That will never be found!!
6B8FBB9D-EF2D-4011-ABD4-440E85F7B284.jpeg

So I took apart a rear defrost switch out of a 80 series that is similar sized, ground off the face and glued the original 73 series a/c face on.
6765ED1A-534E-48F4-A8A5-5072EFE59A91.jpeg

Worked perfectly until I realized that it was a quarter inch too long to fit in the slot so had to remove the connection grind it down and solder on some wires.
EE3F0416-2E7F-4849-B098-8414C6BAFB63.jpeg

Check out @Will Van's build, and his solution for his AC switch ;) Pretty clean.

Really like the build thanks for posting

Check out @Will Van's build, and his solution for his AC switch ;) Pretty clean.

Really like the build thanks for posting
Yes, I saw that last week. I really liked the existing button, so was trying to keep it... but similar idea to use new toyota button to make it work.

Real time …. @tornadoalleycruiser is here charging a/c. Made all custom lines tonight too.

View attachment 3035312

View attachment 3035313

View attachment 3035314
I hope it all works out for you. I bought generic line sets/fittings on Amazon and it ended up being too cheap made in China without enough depth on the barb fittings to make a seal............many carquest and Napa auto parts stores are able to crimp fittings. Old experienced guys can crimp an AC fitting with a hydraulic fitting crimper and get it right. I have good cold reliable AC now and am happy with it! good luck.

We bought all our fittings from the same place I got my hurricane air setup, old air products. Prices are pretty good, about $6 a fitting, and quality is great.

Charged up great last night, will see if it holds....

Used a Mastercool crimper instead of waiting for someone else to screw up the fittings for us.. easier to screw em up ourselves.. Went well.. Easier than trying to find someone to crimp for us and wasting a day running around. once i figured out i had my valve set with me it went much easier. For some reason Kelly's valve setup was reading weird.
@2fpower 's truck has old Flare fitting style at the firewall (expansion valve and evaporator) and everything else converted to newer O-ring fitting. New dryer, trinary switch, new condenser etc. added a little UV dye to the system for diagnostics. Once the dash is back together it should be ready for a lot of test drives to work out the little bugs. if it needs more work we will find a new expansion valve. I really wanted to install one but not an option for now. I think on recycle it was reading 43? when we were finished for the evening. Didn't get the low and high pressures quite where i wanted them but it was functioning correctly.
1655387115203.png

Used a Mastercool crimper instead of waiting for someone else to screw up the fittings for us.. easier to screw em up ourselves.. Went well.. Easier than trying to find someone to crimp for us and wasting a day running around. once i figured out i had my valve set with me it went much easier. For some reason Kelly's valve setup was reading weird.
@2fpower 's truck has old Flare fitting style at the firewall (expansion valve and evaporator) and everything else converted to newer O-ring fitting. New dryer, trinary switch, new condenser etc. added a little UV dye to the system for diagnostics. Once the dash is back together it should be ready for a lot of test drives to work out the little bugs. if it needs more work we will find a new expansion valve. I really wanted to install one but not an option for now. I think on recycle it was reading 43? when we were finished for the evening. Didn't get the low and high pressures quite where i wanted them but it was functioning correctly.
View attachment 3035505

Same kit we use. It works well.

Cheers

Been troubleshooting the issue of the code reader not being able to connect.... PSI has been good help in troubleshooting this. very nice to have that resource.

It appears that the TCM -tranny computer-- is not communicating and causing the issue. we determined this by putting two jumpers on the tranny plug, and then I was able to connect to the tranny.

So, I have to pull the tranny apart again (this time upside down) and send them the TCM to reflash and check out.

The other option was to buy a new TCM at $800. ouch.

Sucks... one step forward, one step back.

I hate posting videos to Mud, so I put them on facebook. Definately been driving some, but was worried about this obdii issue, so not doing much... but holy cow is there a ton of power.... VERY hard not to smile from ear to ear.

Of course now I have to tear down the tranny to get to the TCM, so she will be sitting for a while...

Definitely NOT a 13BT. I'm miserable now, thanks. :flipoff2:

I hate posting videos to Mud, so I put them on facebook. Definately been driving some, but was worried about this obdii issue, so not doing much... but holy cow is there a ton of power.... VERY hard not to smile from ear to ear.

Of course now I have to tear down the tranny to get to the TCM, so she will be sitting for a while...
Can you point me to the post in the thread about your Tcase to 6l90 adaptation or solution?

FYI, in the video and you can hear a lot of clicking noises… most of that is it coming from the hard top. Need to pull it and replace all the seals anyway…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom