Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would only be interested in 16x8.

Is this for flare reasons? I would be interested too as there are not many 70 series options out there to go "spacer-less" for those that have OEM flares.

Is this for flare reasons? I would be interested too as there are not many 70 series options out there to go "spacer-less" for those that have OEM flares.

No, I simply prefer wider wheels. Stock wheels are way too skinny. That being said they would work perfectly on a flared truck.

I’d rather have 16x7.
I am using the 255/85r16 tire size.

Quick update. Had to move up to 100 wheels as they will have to make a new mold.... no prices yet.

So all of them would need to be 16x8 or it could be a combination of sizes and backspaces? like 16x8, 16x7, 3.5, 3.25...

Would they be sending a sample for quality purposes? In most cases, depending on the cost they might give you the sample for free and you only pay for the shipping. Perhaps someone working in the tire/wheel industry would be willing to help to inspect it...

Be sure to be dealing with the manufacturer directly and not with a trader. Due diligence on the manufacturer and their quality certificates by third-party agencies is the key. Lots of manufacturers in China from the lowest to the highest quality.

So all of them would need to be 16x8 or it could be a combination of sizes and backspaces? like 16x8, 16x7, 3.5, 3.25...

The cost to make a mold has to be worth it so I am betting they will only offer one size option at 100 pieces, whenever pricing is established.

Cast alloy wheels is not exactly "made to order" or easily modified like steel wheels.

The most important question to ask is what type of alloy they will use to cast the wheels. Some types of alloy is cheap and of low / inferior quality.

Don't know yet. I am asking for 16x8 or 16x7 with 3.25 backspacing.

Have one company that already has mold and stock of 16x8 with 6x139.7 studs. The only issue is that it is 4.18 backspacing.

Have another company willing to make mold to what we want, but additional cost of $4300. Trying to nail down per wheel delivered to US cost to see if that could be done.

I do believe 70’s are 3.65” bs, the same as a 60-series. It’s all about the backside lip of the wheel hitting the tres. Anything in the 3-3.5” will work fine. Less will work too it will just look funky and may rub under max compression.

Have you not considered a bling wheel like a Raceline or Walker Evans? You can easily get these in just about anything you want but ya beadlock.

Cheers

I keep getting more questions that I am unsure the answers for. 3.25 " backspacing vs. offset.

Is this accurate that a 16x8 would be a -30mm offset and a 16x7 would be a -18mm offset to be a 3.25 backspacing?

1618362748268.png

I keep getting more questions that I am unsure the answers for. 3.25 " backspacing vs. offset.

Is this accurate that a 16x8 would be a -30mm offset and a 16x7 would be a -18mm offset to be a 3.25 backspacing?

View attachment 2644722
Those numbers are essentially correct. It will depend on the given wheel's actual flange width. It took me a very long time to wrap my head around backspace and offset.

Wheel width is stated as "bead-to-bead" meaning this is how far apart the tire bead contact surfaces are. The wheel outer edges are usually one inch wider than the bead width. This means that an 8 inch wide wheel is actually 9 inches wide.
Offset is the relationship of the wheel mounting surface to the over-all width of the wheel. For example an 8 inch wide wheel with zero offset means that the mounting plane is dead center. This wheel would have 4.5 inches of backspace because that is 1/2 of 9 inches. This same width with 3.25 inches of backspace would have 1.25 inches or 31.75 mm negative offset. It could be that the flange-to-flange thickness on the wheel in the chart is 7/8 of an inch wider than the bead-to-bead, or they are rounding the offset.

The wheel outer edges are usually one inch wider than the bead width.

I am glad you pointed this out. Most people seem to forget this. It is generally safe to factor in the 1 inch.

Found the manufacturer finally that already has mold and makes these, even has them in stock. 16x8 6x139.7 and 106mm center bore. available in silver or gun metal. The issue is 0 offset, so you would need 300mm spacers to get the 3.25" backspacing.

Thoughts?

Found the manufacturer finally that already has mold and makes these, even has them in stock. 16x8 6x139.7 and 106mm center bore. available in silver or gun metal. The issue is 0 offset, so you would need 300mm spacers to get the 3.25" backspacing.

Thoughts?

No point as far as I am concerned. I already have spaced wheels. I'd like to forego spacers. In addition I've never seen 30mm (I think you meant 30 and not 300) spacers.

On the other hand, that would work nicely on an 80.

No point as far as I am concerned. I already have spaced wheels. I'd like to forego spacers. In addition I've never seen 30mm (I think you meant 30 and not 300) spacers.

On the other hand, that would work nicely on an 80.

You are correct, 30mm.

Alright, well, time to get pricing and see what a group order would look like.

Sorry but I am not gonna use spacers.
I will wait till pandemic calms (if ever) and try for 16x7 steelies with zero offset again.

Agreed... trying to figure out what this might have been made for, assuming Toyota made it.
In Venezuela those wheels (in 5 lugs) were factory OEM on the Anniversary edition FZJ71s sold in 2007 (20th anniversary of the 70 series in the country), all of which came from Japan directly (not assembled in Venezuela and 0% local content). I often see sets for sale on various Venezuelan Instagram accounts but I can't vouch for their originality, and I've never seen them in 6 lugs before. Because those anniversary FZJ71 all came from Japan, I'm going to assume that the wheels will fit JDM and general market models as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom