Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the Ranger in an FJ60 behind a ramjet and in front of the factory 4spd. I loved it.

A GM auto will certainly solve any probs as well, you can use a variety of shifters. I like using an FJ80 shifter for a 4spd GM auto.

Cheers

Can someone give me the diminsion of GM auto tranny from bellhousing to end of the Adapter to the split case? Been researching GM transmissions, not sure which one would be better for fitment in this application.

oops... I forgot to measure the driveline angle before I tore this apart. Anyone know what I should be shooting for?

We use the marks adapter kit to an H55f, which puts the V8 forward enough to keep the H55f and drivelines in their stock position. They call it the "extendomatic" adapter, but it does the job very well and is a great solution to your problem.

how much bashing the firewall with a sledgehammer have you done yet? I feel like you should be able to get an inch or two

how much bashing the firewall with a sledgehammer have you done yet? I feel like you should be able to get an inch or two

I have not bashed yet. Passenger side I could do some as it is below the a/c system. Driver side it would conflict with the accelerator pedal mount. Although, I forgot == don't I need to mount up a throttle pedal from a 04 Tahoe or something like that?

Anyway, yes, I could likely gain an inch or so with bashing, but I would likely only gain 1/2 at the tranny.... and have good clearance at the engine. My preference is to find a way to get the transfer case closer to stock location.

Last edited:
We use the marks adapter kit to an H55f, which puts the V8 forward enough to keep the H55f and drivelines in their stock position. They call it the "extendomatic" adapter, but it does the job very well and is a great solution to your problem.

How much difference in depth? Been looking all over online and can't find anything... picture in instructions looks like an inch or two?

All the adapters from gm transmission to split case transfer case appear to be through 1990 production year with 19 splines. This car is a 1992 production year, so no idea what spline it would be. I need to figure out how I can identify what transfer case this is -- or I just go find another split case transfer case with the new transmission.

You’re going to be running DBW?
I wish I could tell you what is better/easier to do. This is just so far outside my knowledge base.... If I can stay with the stock throttle that would be great.

what throttle do you have and does your PCM and wire harness match it? Neither is really better, just different

what throttle do you have and does your PCM and wire harness match it? Neither is really better, just different

I pulled a pcm and harness from a junkyard car, don't even recall what it was from. Here is pic of it. google says silverado 99-02.

Crate engine came with flyby wire it appears.

Still looking for overall diminsions of GM transmission and adapter; however assuming they will work better than what I have now..... I would love if someone can point me in a direction of what to find and buy, I don't have an issue of buying a different harness, throttle body or whatever will make this great. Adapters, different split case, whatever is needed is worth it to me to spend the money now. I want to be able to daily drive this, then head to the mountains to play, so I want it to be done right.

EDIT.. just got info from CruiserMatt about PSI Conversions to get harness and PCM from... sounds like a good plan.

B8CB90D1-2FFE-4EF7-B1B9-01AE6FD675DE.jpeg

8E1F213C-04D4-410B-BA89-F4EC9B86D22D.jpeg

419BF5C1-A210-4C0C-A942-D17B1E55FBE6.jpeg

Last edited:
got some numbers....

Currently transfer case needs to move back 4" to be in stock location.

I can move engine forward about 6" before clearance with front axle becomes a question.

H55f transmission from engine to transfer case is 21" long currently with the AA adapter.

So, using my "special math" I can be up to 10" longer transmission, or 31" long transmission and should fit using stock transfer case location. I can likely cheat the mount/driveshafts 1/2" easily as well.

From AA site, the 4l60e with adapter is 30.5" long, additionally, the 4l60 with adapter (no e) is the same length.

4l80e with adapter is 29.2" long.

Sounds like either transmission will fit.... so now the question is which one? 1.25" shorter for the 4l80 does sound like some room for error in my measurements.

I like the idea of the 4l60 with the lower first gear, plus I believe it came with that lm4 motor originally. I am not sure about the 4l60 vs 4l60E version....

what factors do you need to make this decision?

This comment is based off the picture of your shifter coming through the floor. Based off that pic I would put a jack underneath the transfer case and unbolt the cross member and lower the tail of the drivetrain about 2-3". Chances are that change of angle and added clearance will be enough for your shifter to work fine with a "S-bend" in the shifter. If you have few inches lift and 33" or bigger tires that 2-3" lower transfer is not a big deal. It's fairly simple to cut and mod a crossmember.

This comment is based off the picture of your shifter coming through the floor. Based off that pic I would put a jack underneath the transfer case and unbolt the cross member and lower the tail of the drivetrain about 2-3". Chances are that change of angle and added clearance will be enough for your shifter to work fine with a "S-bend" in the shifter. If you have few inches lift and 33" or bigger tires that 2-3" lower transfer is not a big deal. It's fairly simple to cut and mod a crossmember.

You are correct, there are ways to make this "work" ; however, it will not work great.... as I drop the tranny and increase the angle, the engine plows more into the firewall, and the driveline angle is less optimal as well.

Well, advance adapters had 10% and free shipping, so I committed to doing a 4l80 transmission. Now to find the transmission and get a 19 spline split case. I see no reason to take the case off the h55f, that will go to another project.

Rabbit hole! Been reading up on LS swaps now with 4l80 transmissions..... lots to learn. Big thanks to @cruisermatt and @thatcabledude for helping me part ways with my $$$. Buy seriously, I think this is the smart path to go down, emotionally, I wanted that h55f in there, but it just does not make sense.

Good call on the PSI harness and ECU. Best thing to do is order that last, after you've made all major decisions. Does the 73 have a throttle cable? 60 and 80 throttle cables fit perfectly into the LS cable throttle, if it's the same case on with a 70 cable then you could just swap your throttle for a cable version.
As for the transmissions make sure you are taking into account that the automatics have the bellhousing integrated when doing your measurements.

Let me know if you want to sell the H55/splitcase, might be able to do partial trade with another splitcase.

So, remember those tail lights that did not fit.... this is the first time they have had issues with the fitment, but clearly, they were not made for 73 series.

Well, they gave me the option to return them... TO CHINA..

So they are for sale. $100 shipped to you. I paid $126. I think they look amazing and wish they would work for me, but it appears the only option I have is to go with OEM lights. Any takers?

Follow the link and it says should fit 70,75 and 78 series.

1607004918460.png

1607004927185.png

So, remember those tail lights that did not fit.... this is the first time they have had issues with the fitment, but clearly, they were not made for 73 series.

Well, they gave me the option to return them... TO CHINA..

So they are for sale. $100 shipped to you. I paid $126. I think they look amazing and wish they would work for me, but it appears the only option I have is to go with OEM lights. Any takers?

Follow the link and it says should fit 70,75 and 78 series.

View attachment 2514112

View attachment 2514113

Pretty sure these are for the 76/77 hd versions or the LJ/KZJ 77/78 aka the 4 door models

So I suggest you set the tcase rear output the same angle the rear diff pinion is at. This being with the truck fully loaded up with how it will be once done. This will allow for a standard rear driveline and no vibes.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom