Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just talked to Matthew at Advanced Adapters yesterday. Great guy with lots of landcruiser experience (and has a couple awesome sounding Rovers). Talked to him about the Ranger overdrive boxes and he has seen issues with too much RPM in the transmission, so did not recommend it. So, that means I likely will have to move the tranny forward.

Here is the order.

1576968501333.png

Skip the AA flywheel and clutch kit and save yourself the $500. Go on Rockauto or wherever you get regular parts and buy a flywheel and clutch kit for a 2001-06 2500 Silverado with a 6.0 gas engine. Clutch kit should be less then $120-150 and flywheel should be $60-70. They will work just as well as the AA kit. I have the Sachs NW1050 flywheel but it was less expensive when I bought it, there's a few others on there for slightly less and I would have no problem with. I think I have a Luk clutch kit, same thing, there's other kits for less that will function fine.
Advance adapters will tell you the Land Cruiser clutch master/slave combo doesn't have enough travel to completely disengage the GM pressure plate but they are incorrect.

Skip the AA flywheel and clutch kit and save yourself the $500. Go on Rockauto or wherever you get regular parts and buy a flywheel and clutch kit for a 2001-06 2500 Silverado with a 6.0 gas engine. Clutch kit should be less then $120-150 and flywheel should be $60-70. They will work just as well as the AA kit. I have the Sachs NW1050 flywheel but it was less expensive when I bought it, there's a few others on there for slightly less and I would have no problem with. I think I have a Luk clutch kit, same thing, there's other kits for less that will function fine.
Advance adapters will tell you the Land Cruiser clutch master/slave combo doesn't have enough travel to completely disengage the GM pressure plate but they are incorrect.

I have a feeling you already told me this before. I need to talk to you before I do anything.... I will see if they shipped it yet.

Has not shipped yet. What clutch kit should I go with?
1577043681023.png

Take your pick. Any will work. Also, I just noticed that AA is charging triple for flywheel bolts. AA makes some nice stuff sometimes but they really like to juice for cash sometimes.

Picked this up today....

645C840C-6C7A-4F95-ACB4-81DDC280D2BE.jpeg

And this showed up also.

33EA5F80-CEA9-4CB3-8A2A-1BB850AFD8A2.jpeg

94950556-89FC-4426-950A-0189A345DB19.jpeg

Just talked to Matthew at Advanced Adapters yesterday. Great guy with lots of landcruiser experience (and has a couple awesome sounding Rovers). Talked to him about the Ranger overdrive boxes and he has seen issues with too much RPM in the transmission, so did not recommend it. So, that means I likely will have to move the tranny forward.

Here is the order.

View attachment 2162480

Having personally met Matthew several times I can say that you are right, He is a super nice guy with a great Knowledge of all thing that are 4x4. And I have drooled over both his Land Rovers most recently when He brought his newest Reg to Turf & Surf 2019.
Side note In 1975 I was 17 years old I used a 283 small block to a T 19 jeep 3 speed adapter from Advance Adapters to put a Small block in my 58 Willys Wagon. It was my first 4x4. That when they were still in the San Fernando Valley where I grew up. Ironically we both made the move to San Luis Obispo County in the early 80s
High Jack over

What did you decide to do about the clutch and flywheel? I would return the AA stuff, that’s a big chunk of change that could be used better elsewhere

What did you decide to do about the clutch and flywheel? I would return the AA stuff, that’s a big chunk of change that could be used better elsewhere

I was headed down that road, then recalled when I was working on my 40 and I had all sorts of bearing problems advanced adapters help me out immensely... and sent me the alignment pegs I needed for free. Sometimes you just got to support these vendors and let them make profit, especially those that truly care and help you out. I feel the same way about ARB products, slee, cruiser outfitters, marlin....

I was headed down that road, then recalled when I was working on my 40 and I had all sorts of bearing problems advanced adapters help me out immensely... and sent me the alignment pegs I needed for free. Sometimes you just got to support these vendors and let them make profit, especially those that truly care and help you out. I feel the same way about ARB products, slee, cruiser outfitters, marlin....

agreed. I just think of the extra cost on that stuff like paying for support and customer service. ARB has given me stuff for free on products I didn’t buy that are over 20 years old.

Hopefully it works out, I just never understood why they designed that flywheel and pressure plate to begin with when the GM parts work the same way :meh:

agreed. I just think of the extra cost on that stuff like paying for support and customer service. ARB has given me stuff for free on products I didn’t buy that are over 20 years old.
Exactly what happened to me. My first 80 series had an ARB bumper with broken turn light covers, called them up and they shipped new ones to me for free. Two years later I was faced with a decision to buy an ARB fridge or an Engel, and after reflecting on the turn light covers, bought the ARB.

Btw, I pulled and bought an LM4 from an 06 Envoy at the junkyard on Friday, so they're fresh on my mind ;)

how long did it take you to pull that motor? Just noticed that my purchase has a $600 core charge I could get back and the local yards charge $150.

Cordless sawzall is your friend. I would say about an hour, it was longer but my friends and I were also pulling another engine and a rear axle all at the same time, so tools were dispersed, time spent trying to get the crane, etc. I was able to rip most of the grille and radiator/condenser off with just my hands, sawzall everything else, driveshaft, wires, hoses, etc just rip the whole front end off whatever vehicle like a savage and it will be pretty easy.

Pics of engine. For those in the know... what else do I need to source? @cruisermatt @brosky @thatcabledude

First off, what are these two holes for?

ED77D79E-4F0C-4C7A-B362-1A0BE82511FB.jpeg

Do I need to plug any of these holes?

B32122CD-313F-4C07-A7FD-B11700C53837.jpeg

Came with fly by wire throttle body, so I need to get a cable mounted one. What car should I be looking for at junkyard?

It did come with a water pump! Will have to get the A/C bracket still.

31542CA9-D7EC-430A-82BA-6E0A0F0F06F6.jpeg

269085B3-D1F8-4028-81C0-7D364D049497.jpeg

8EAF8600-EED5-4459-A8B0-51E83D279658.jpeg

Pics of engine. For those in the know... what else do I need to source? @cruisermatt @brosky @thatcabledude

First off, what are these two holes for?

View attachment 2174912

Do I need to plug any of these holes?

View attachment 2174913

Came with fly by wire throttle body, so I need to get a cable mounted one. What car should I be looking for at junkyard?

It did come with a water pump! Will have to get the A/C bracket still.

View attachment 2174914

View attachment 2174915

View attachment 2174916
The big unthreaded hole is where the cam sensor goes. The threaded hole is where the oil pressure sensor goes. I adapted it to accept the factory Toyota dash sensor. GM ecm does not need data from the GM sensor.

I didnt like that water pump. The upper neck interfered with my intake. That may not be the case for you, but the later year model truck pump is lower profile if it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom