Uneven Tire Wear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SipLife

Cruiser Pickin’
SILVER Star
Threads
Have a set of K02s on my 40 with 3000 miles or so on them. Noticed the tires have a slight uneven wear on the edges compared to center of the tread. Difficult to capture via photograph. I’m running stock disk brake rims and 33x10.5x15 tires. Have been told that the tires may be too wide for the stock rim creating a “cupping” effect and the uneven wear pattern I’m seeing. Odd to me considering others out there are running this combo on stock rims. What say you Mud? Any others experience this?

Under-inflation maybe. Have you done a tread pattern check?

Way off target for load index. It is like the support of a bicycle-tire-profile rather than the four-corners of an inner and an outer radial sidewall. The wheels are far too narrow for those treads to be getting even wear, and a whole host of other benefits. So braking and traction are compromised for the added clearance and ability to get thru the soft stuff.

Last edited:
Under inflation would be my guess as well.

I run mine at 30psi, which is low, but I'd rather tear up tires than my butt with the rougher ride.

Under-inflation maybe. Have you done a tread pattern check?
Tire pressure?
Under inflation would be my guess as well.

I run mine at 30psi, which is low, but I'd rather tear up tires than my butt with the rougher ride.
I'm running 40 psi currently. Too low?, IIRC max psi is 50. By tread pattern check do you mean depth check with a gauge? Am at college atm and don't have a gauge on me. Can do the old penny depth check.

Try about half of that pressure. Stock cold inflation is anywhere between 21 and 31 psi, on a (29x8.5) H78-15. I'd shoot for 18psi or less with your set-up just for traction. Go up if you are sustaining speeds in warm weather.

I'm running 20 psi in the same setup.

Edit- I'm actually running the Maxxis Razrs on my 40, I had confused my tires on my truck with the ones on my 40. Either way I'm not one to gauge tire wear patterns off of. My Dodge is a Dodge, it eats tires like a fat kid at a buffet, my 40 had some feathering going on, straight up alignment issues, and some slack in the wheel bearings.

Last edited:
I'm running 30 psi on the same tires and stock rims; my 40 is on the heavy side though.

I'm running 22psi front and 20 psi in back and the outside of my tires still are just at the outside of contact patch. The sips (aka whiskers) aren't even getting worn. Max psi is for running a full weighted load i.e. towing. A lot of folks confuse max psi and recommended psi.

Checking tread wear via the chalk test. Chalk the tread of tire and adjust pressure so all chalk touches ground/wears off so you have a good contact patch touching the ground.

^ @firemanj92 chalk test. You can also drive a wet tire over dry smooth concrete or wrapping paper to get the tread pattern. Truck should be at payload. 40psi doesn't seem like under-inflation though on a max 50-psi tire.

What's the weight rating? I'm running E, not C

On my pickup that same tire would be at 60-75 psi

Last edited:
Time to ditch the 5.5" wheels? Match the wheel to the tire is a good place to start.

Today, I saw a white 60 wearing these and some Klever 33xskinny, it looked awesome! I didn't take not of what diameter they were.

40 should be adequate, and well within the operating envelope.

I could be wrong, but over inflation, should wear the center of the tire more.
Under inflation, the center makes a cup and the edges wear more.

I've got 265 KO2's on a 7" wide wheel. So basically the same width, but a wider wheel.

40 should be adequate, and well within the operating envelope.

I could be wrong, but over inflation, should wear the center of the tire more.
Under inflation, the center makes a cup and the edges wear more.

I've got 265 KO2's on a 7" wide wheel. So basically the same width, but a wider wheel.
How's the alignment?
Yep, that is correct. I believe a factory 40-wheel is only 5.5" wide. I'll play around with getting the right contact patch first as others have suggested, but if it comes to it, I suppose I could widen the factory wheels or move to a wider R16 wheel. Don't have exact alignment numbers, have only adjusted the toe in/out using the tape trick. Tracks straight enough and has no wander after the caster correction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom