UPDATED: Underpowered acceleration and 02 Sensor Codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so, you replaced them yet ?

Definitely keep us posted! The more I drive, the more I'm experiencing the exact same sluggishness with the pedal part way down. Thanks for being the guinea pig :)

Absolutely, happy to. I'll keep updating this thread with my progress tracking it down whether I get responses or not.

Changing the fuel filter did seem to help clear it up, but I think theres another weak point in the system. It went from being potentially dangerous to drive, to just irritating. If yours is still running the stock filter, it's worth looking at.

Have you checked the dist cap for moisture? That was a culprit of a very similar symptom previously. I wish it were that simple this time around.

I recently just started experiencing this about a week ago as well after heavy rain and some deeper puddles. Time to start digging. Seems like you are on the right track. This thread came at the perfect time. Thanks

I recently just started experiencing this about a week ago as well after heavy rain and some deeper puddles. Time to start digging. Seems like you are on the right track. This thread came at the perfect time. Thanks
Right? I'm a little amazed at the odds with this one. I think my issue has to be electrical, so I'm going to take a look at the distribution cap.

Any update on this? Did you ever get your O2 sensors installed?

Any update on this? Did you ever get your O2 sensors installed?

I'm still waiting on the O2 sensors. I took a pretty good stab at getting the bolts off which included an Irwin extractor set, days of PB blaster, a torch and finally a dremel. No dice. The nuts have become one with the bolts. I have to take it by a muffler shop and get them to remove and replace the entire section of pipe.

I did however make a little progress in some other areas. After having the injectors flushed and fuel filter changed I noticed it cleared up about 30%, which was promising. I went ahead and replaced the fuel sock in the tank and that seemed to help a little more too. Problem is still there but it's not as severe. Im hoping to get the O2 sensors replaced this week and then continue form there.

The fact that the fuel filter/ sock replacement and injector flush helped makes me think at least part of the problem was a fuel delivery issue. It could be that the O2 sensors were getting bad readings and sending bad info to the ECU and the fuel system was too clogged up to handle it. Thats just wild speculation though...

Any luck with yours?

What did you flush your injector's with?

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the throttle position sensor. Definitely worth checking. The FSM gives fairly clear directions on how to test it, and adjust it.

Best to take the throttle body off the truck and do it. While you have the throttle body off, good to give it a cleaning (ensuring small orifices are very clean). Get new throttle body gasket and ensure accelerator cable and kick down cables are properly adjusted. (I've had to play with mine a few times before getting them to where I like them).

It's worth a shot and only costs you a throttle body gasket and throttle body cleaner...

I'm still waiting on the O2 sensors. I took a pretty good stab at getting the bolts off which included an Irwin extractor set, days of PB blaster, a torch and finally a dremel. No dice. The nuts have become one with the bolts. I have to take it by a muffler shop and get them to remove and replace the entire section of pipe.

I did however make a little progress in some other areas. After having the injectors flushed and fuel filter changed I noticed it cleared up about 30%, which was promising. I went ahead and replaced the fuel sock in the tank and that seemed to help a little more too. Problem is still there but it's not as severe. Im hoping to get the O2 sensors replaced this week and then continue form there.

The fact that the fuel filter/ sock replacement and injector flush helped makes me think at least part of the problem was a fuel delivery issue. It could be that the O2 sensors were getting bad readings and sending bad info to the ECU and the fuel system was too clogged up to handle it. Thats just wild speculation though...

Any luck with yours?

Nope. Been dealing with sick kids for the past week so I haven’t had time to even look. I’ll let you know once I can get under the hood.

I had this exact same problem. I replaced the front O2 sensor and the fuel pump and sock (I don't believe the sock or the pump where the culprit) - Problem went away after that. Chased the problem for about a month and its been well over a year since I fixed it.

There was a o2 code that I didn't write down when it all first started (was using my scangauge on dash) - I thought clearing the code would help and after I cleared it - the code never came back for the whole month of having the probelm and driving it. I highly suspect it was the front O2 sensor and also some days it would run fine, next time driving it would do the funky gas pedal.

So I THINK the problem is resolved. I've replaced the 02 sensors finally and the last remnants of the power loss appears to be gone. I haven't driven it from a super cold start yet, but after sitting an hour or so it appears to drive normal again. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow morning just to triple check.

I'm not mechanically intelligent enough to diagnose exactly what the issue was, but it certainly involved the 02 sensors, fuel filter and fuel sock (to some degree) and I'm just glad to see an improvement. Here's a pic of the 02 sensors for fun. Left is front, right is rear.

IMG_1230.JPG

Oh I missed that you had pulled O2 sensor codes! That would make the most sense... Nice and easy. Glad its fixed!

So I THINK the problem is resolved. I've replaced the 02 sensors finally and the last remnants of the power loss appears to be gone. I haven't driven it from a super cold start yet, but after sitting an hour or so it appears to drive normal again. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow morning just to triple check.

I'm not mechanically intelligent enough to diagnose exactly what the issue was, but it certainly involved the 02 sensors, fuel filter and fuel sock (to some degree) and I'm just glad to see an improvement. Here's a pic of the 02 sensors for fun. Left is front, right is rear.

View attachment 1921859
Thanks for following up. Where'd you end up buying the sensors from? Let us know how this morning's drive went.

Oh I missed that you had pulled O2 sensor codes! That would make the most sense... Nice and easy. Glad its fixed!

Yep. Which probably means I could have swapped out the 02 sensors right away and solved the issue. But if I did that I wouldn't have been able to start this fun thread and convince people to help me wildly speculate what the problem was instead of just methodically tracking down the issue and fixing it like a responsible adult. To be fair (to me) it only pulled the codes once, when my wife was driving it, and the car stalled which it never had before. I'd like to believe it was a combination of things, all of which have been addressed now, and I have emerged a slightly more well informed land cruiser owner.

Thanks for following up. Where'd you end up buying the sensors from? Let us know how this morning's drive went.

Everything went well this morning. At this point I'm calling it resolved. I ordered the parts from Amazon:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom