Underneath drivability "fixes"?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Process of elimination. I ruled out everything up front, including the TREs, wheel bearings, etc., then pulled the rear driveshaft. I took it to a driveline shop and they said it needed to be rebalanced, it might have been bent very slightly. That fixed the problem.
How much did that cost?

Not much, but it was a long time ago (more than 20 years ago), right after I bought the FJ60 from American Toyota in Albuquerque. The FJ60 was in very good shape, except for a not-too-good paint job, and I picked it up for less than $5,000 :). FJ60 prices have definitely gone up since then.

Not much, but it was a long time ago (more than 20 years ago), right after I bought the FJ60 from American Toyota in Albuquerque. The FJ60 was in very good shape, except for a not-too-good paint job, and I picked it up for less than $5,000 :). FJ60 prices have definitely gone up since then.
Yeah, when i got mine 5 years ago i got it for $10 bucks because Toyota told a family friend it needed a new transmission, which cost how much it was worth. I took it to a local trans shop and it was only $400 bucks, luckily the family friend felt bad since i was just heading to college and my '80 el camino got hit so he didnt make me pay more for it.

This is the only vehicle that has gone up in value my '80 el camino went up for a bit then went down.

How did you find out that the driveshaft was out of balance? I was working on my rear end when I accidentally pulled the driveshaft out of its sleeve, I thought I put it back in the same place but I might not have. I probably should double check that its balanced
8 bolts to remove if you want to have a driveline shop balance it. If you're not sure it went back together the same way it came out it sure seems like a good thing to verify. If the universal joints are "out of phase" it is likely that you refit it incorrectly. You don't need to loosten a single bolt to check that. Just a quick look.

When I first got mine it was a mess. Drove fine at high speed but around the 40 mark it was unpredictable. Tires were getting destroyed from daily driving. After doing the following mine is rock solid. First:

New steering stabilizer (OME)
New TRE set from CO
Alignment
Tires balanced

After the above things were improved but still had a slight wobble and steering was still somewhat unpredictable. I then did the following:

OME springs, shackles, and shocks with extended swaybar endlinks
Knuckle rebuild with new wheel bearings
Another alignment
New tires

The knuckle rebuild and bearings I think are really what helped me the most. My spring bushings were in rough shape too so replacing the springs was needed as well. Now it drives straight as an arrow and doesn't tear up the tires. Feels much more stable. If you lift the truck off the ground and wiggle the front wheels at 6 and 12 to see any play you can tell if the bearings need attention. Mine moved a lot so I replaced them when I did the knuckle rebuild. She is right as rain now. I didn't see where checking wheel bearings or the knuckles was done but maybe I missed it. HTH.

I agree with the driveline improvements and replacing the front end bushings. All that solved my issues on front end. I could feel different ride quality after 2.5 OME lift in the rear of the 60. So, after roaming all the suspension overhauls..whether is OME, Dobinsons, or SOR grocery getter something was obvious. FJ62 had rear sway bar mine did not, but my 60 has the tabs on the axle?

Well shopped the classifieds and.picked up a parts deal and scored complete setup for $75. My thoughts are Toyota wouldn't have set up my axle and then later made it stock if it was not safe and practical.

Best part I now have new suspension front and back, and the rig is stable while cruising at 65mph.

I think you should look at your castor angle and try a set of castor correction shims. I ran a 2deg shim and thought “holy gawk this is way better” then stepped up to 4deg “rock solid at 70+ mph”

Went + grabbed these finished Aspen stumps that im gnna use as clock pedestals....are HEAVVVVY. Prlly 800lbs total....truck seems to ride a lil smoother!! Made an appointment to have an underneath inspection!!!
20200118_175513.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom