Undercoating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

macneill

Rollin’ on 33s
Threads
Anyone done it to their 60? Recommend it? Any other options?

Done it and NEVER AGAIN. The WORST mod ever done. I've been removing it ever since it was applied. Krown Rust Treatment yes!! Undercoat NO.

If the frame and underbody components are rust-free right now, and you plan on being in an environment where things tend to rust due to road salt, salt air, etc, then go ahead and rustproof the underside. There are good products and bad products and unfortunately I can't recommend any. If you already have rust under there I'd take apass as the rustproof coating will seal in any moisture and allow the metal to continue rusting at a faster pace. I know guys here in the Chicago area that have had their vehicles undercoated at places like Ziebart and have kept their frames rust free for years on end. They also go back in yearly for touch ups to any areas where the coating might have come loose or off.

Underside is rust free, fortunately.

Back when my dad wheeled his old Jeeps on the beach, they used to spray the underside with used motor oil.

I'm sure that made for a nice mess.

My Grandpa would swear by a mixture of kerosine and heavy weight oil. Like 1:10 or something. He had this pressure sprayer and woudl just coat the whole underneath every fall. Let it dry overnight and other than a bit of oil residue never had any problems. this was Ohio/winter/salt... nuf said.

macneill said:
they used to spray the underside with used motor oil.

I did this too. Accidently. I changed the oil in my 60, left the drain plug just a hair loose, and took it for a drive down the highway. I was coated from stem to stern in oil.

I highly recommend it. :beer:

The p.o. did Ziebart--worked great, for the first few years. Then, inevitably, it began to separate from the frame/underbody wherever there was heating/cooling process (near exhaust, in the wheel wells). It wound up trapping a lot of moisture, now I've got rot in some hard-to-reach places. I would NEVER do any of those types of undercoatings.

What I've done since then is the old farmboy method--mix waste oil, ATF, and kerosene in equal parts, spray/brush where needed, let stand overnight (or drive down a dusty road, if you can!). That stuff "creeps" everywhere and seals things up. Of course, if you wash your undercarriage frequently with a detergent (I don't), you need to apply it more frequently.

Good luck. The sad fact is, eventually, all 60s in the northeast will rust to death.

Fearnofish! said:
My Grandpa would swear by a mixture of kerosine and heavy weight oil. Like 1:10 or something. He had this pressure sprayer and woudl just coat the whole underneath every fall. Let it dry overnight and other than a bit of oil residue never had any problems. this was Ohio/winter/salt... nuf said.

Is Jman your grandpa? Because he recommended the same thing to me a year or two ago. :confused:

I don't have a lot of rust underneath, and I've sprayed the crap out of it with some 3M rubberized aerosol can stuff, and it works well. I have to touch it up maybe once a year, but it's cheap and easy.

For the axles and springs, I use a Krylon rust eater primer and black spray paint in a rattle can. Cleans up nice and I haven't noticed any new rust, or have a rust problem. --Well, as little of a rust problem as you can actually have in an FJ60 that is. There's always room for rust.

Jman said:
The p.o. did Ziebart--worked great, for the first few years. Then, inevitably, it began to separate from the frame/underbody wherever there was heating/cooling process (near exhaust, in the wheel wells). It wound up trapping a lot of moisture, now I've got rot in some hard-to-reach places. I would NEVER do any of those types of undercoatings.

What I've done since then is the old farmboy method--mix waste oil, ATF, and kerosene in equal parts, spray/brush where needed, let stand overnight (or drive down a dusty road, if you can!). That stuff "creeps" everywhere and seals things up. Of course, if you wash your undercarriage frequently with a detergent (I don't), you need to apply it more frequently.

Good luck. The sad fact is, eventually, all 60s in the northeast will rust to death.

Damnit, you always post just before I do and ruin my jokes. :mad:

No. Doc is not my Grandpa (RIP) but they apparently both have some good ideas.

Quote: Is Jman your grandpa? Because he recommended the same thing to me a year or two ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom