Undercoating and winter tips.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be moving North to Ohio this summer, having grown up there I know that the salt laid down on the roads in the winter will be hell on my FJ60 body. It looks like some of the under coating has worn thin in the wheel wells as well as a few more spots on the under body. I've talked to a few guys that recommended byeing the spray on under coatings from Wal-mart or the likes. I'd like to ask the forum what you would recommend and offer any other advice for what else I can do to winterize my Cruiser and prevent a rotting nightmare.

1984 FJ60

Don't know much about undercoating, but I grew up in Minnesota where they also salt the roads. Best advice I can give is to spray it off regularly, paying special attention to the areas where the road grime/salt would accumulate underneath the rig where you can't see it.

NEVER use the traditional undercoating. It is primarily useful for sound deadening and will actually encourage rust formation! I've spent the last 10-15 years removing peeling undercoat from my truck. I'd recommend the stuff that is misted into the body and frame cavities annually, or more frequntly if possible.

I am in Ohio

The best method so far is to spray the underside with oil yes some cheap 30wt. and a Spray gun will do the trick 2 x time a years and you are good to go. By far the best way to do it. As you know we love salt up here being so close to all of the salt mines makes it just to easy to dump on the roads. What part of OH?

cruiser_guy said:
NEVER use the traditional undercoating. It is primarily useful for sound deadening and will actually encourage rust formation! I've spent the last 10-15 years removing peeling undercoat from my truck. I'd recommend the stuff that is misted into the body and frame cavities annually, or more frequntly if possible.

I think that there are places in Canada that do this process, but I don't think that they do it in the US. Any ideas?

Zack

MJM,
I'm moving up to the Lorain, 20 mins west of Cleveland. I'm looking forward of finding some good places to ride. Where are you located?

Thanks for the tips.

Scott

Waxoyl

Google "Waxoyl"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom