Undercoat help-ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasLandCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
pin.it
Help! I need some constructive feedback how to prep the belly coating. TLC did the cruiser in 2012 and guy I bought from let numerous leaks go for some time and the coating in some places continues to have the petroleum come to the surface not allowing me to get a new coat. If you’ve seen I’m doing a frame on minor cleanup and this is kinda the last thing. Spoke to several restoration shops and body shops, feedback ranges from acid wash and roll on bed coat, high pressure steam to melt it out and on and on. I’ve cleaned it over and over and won’t let a coat dry hard, it stay wet. I’ve got some areas where the restored tan coat is good, oil soaked black to last owner spraying black paint on the oil soaked they cleaned up. It’s a mess but not pulling the body and not taking a scrapper to it. Any feedback is welcome. I’m in north Texas and willing to drive it within the 5 state area to get this fixed. If you have a process that’s worked please help. Also last owner sprayed that black rubber on some of the frame and the only thing that will touch it is break cleaner but that takes it all off including the frame paint I need for base. Any kind of wire wheel just melts it and pushes it around and hardens up in a different formation. This seems so trivial, I can fly a plane to the edge of space but rubber coating is stumped me. Also last question what is the type of coating used in the picture, is that rubber or what, don’t know how to address and y o u t u b e has nothing but crap responses. Frame takes it well

1269B6D5-CAA5-4BE4-8242-D317300FF16D.jpeg

224F577C-9E2F-4C5C-8FA2-1EE37BE5CA34.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw your post on Instagram - no help there for sure.

Which degreasers have you tried so far?

And I have to say, not really sure what we are looking at here - is the black rubberized underbody paint sprayed over the tan?

This seems so trivial, I can fly a plane to the edge of space but rubber coating is stumped me.
I hear you! LOL! First, what is on the frame? The grey paint looks really good.
Second, I'd maybe try TLC and ask what they would have used back then. Alot of the anti-corrison rust protectors are designed
to never go solid, stay oily to preserve their ability to fight off contaminants. ie: Rust Check is an eastern antirust coating.
What's bothering you? Just the inability to clean this stuff up, or the inability to continue with a product you can't duplicate?
Unless you want a painted type surface the best rust corrosion inhibitors should never set and go hard, that is what makes them
effective

My 60 is pretty good underneath. In a year or so I plan to repaint. I got a tintable spray on bedliner which I hope to spray on.
I want to colour match the floor with the body as much as allows.
But first, I plan to blast as much old paint off, then prime, seal, prime and paint. Then cover with the spray-on bedliner.

Saw your post on Instagram - no help there for sure.

Which degreasers have you tried so far?

And I have to say, not really sure what we are looking at here - is the black rubberized underbody paint sprayed over the tan?
Cleaner wise I’ve tried all the degreasers, anything stronger melts it. Yes to your question, the tan is what TLC put on, last owner used black rubber here and there; looks like a zebra underneath. Some of the black is stain from oil. When I scrubbed what I thought was all of the oil off and get it down to paintable I undercoated a section and petroleum came through and the stuff I put in turned to goo.

I hear you! LOL! First, what is on the frame? The grey paint looks really good.
Second, I'd maybe try TLC and ask what they would have used back then. Alot of the anti-corrison rust protectors are designed
to never go solid, stay oily to preserve their ability to fight off contaminants. ie: Rust Check is an eastern antirust coating.
What's bothering you? Just the inability to clean this stuff up, or the inability to continue with a product you can't duplicate?
Unless you want a painted type surface the best rust corrosion inhibitors should never set and go hard, that is what makes them
effective

My 60 is pretty good underneath. In a year or so I plan to repaint. I got a tintable spray on bedliner which I hope to spray on.
I want to colour match the floor with the body as much as allows.
But first, I plan to blast as much old paint off, then prime, seal, prime and paint. Then cover with the spray-on bedliner.
That’s a grey epoxy base that’s in good shape, then tan TLC with last owner crappy attempt to cover up their shortcomings

Thanks guys, didn’t intend to do all this work, but one day was under it and picked at a scab and 3 weeks later I’m halfway to restoring underneath. Braided hoses, new clamps and bolts, strip the frame and drive now the undercoat. Local detail guy said best bet is to start with steam and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom