Undercarriage rust question - 1984 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to understand the best rust repair solution for my 1984 Cruiser, Maya. Manly concerned with the rust in her undercarriage and a bit by the roof racks.

As an addition, I live 3 blocks from the ocean in SF - any recommendations on a cover that will protect her from the elements would be incredible!

Take some pictures of the areas of concern. High resolution and good lighting will allow people to offer advice that can help.

Once you have your rust issues in check there are different coatings that can be sprayed on the underside to help reduce corrosion. If you don't mind the smell of wet sheep you can have the underside sprayed with waxoyl. If money isn't an issue you could get a used clean chassis and get it hot dip galvanized. Then the frame would outlast you and the rest of the truck.

I used a good quality car cover for 6 months when my cruiser was stored at a home a few blocks from the beach. It was the first time I had ever used a cover (it wasn't mine, the homeowner had one that fit my car) and it helped a ton keeping the cruiser dry and clean. Every morning there was lots of salt dew condensation but my cruiser stayed dry.
A car cover definitely works. I was impressed.

Last edited:
I used a good quality car cover for 6 months when my cruiser was stored at a home a few blocks from the beach. It was the first time I had ever used a cover (it wasn't mine, the homeowner had one that fit my car) and it helped a ton keeping the cruiser dry and clean. Every morning there was lots of salt dew condemnation but my cruiser stayed dry.
A car cover definitely works. I was impressed.
Condensation? I would think a cover would catch and hold and not actually be a good idea.

Condensation? I would think a cover would catch and hold and not actually be a good idea.

I thought they were made to breathe, similar to Tyvek? it is not a plastic tarp.

I think it depends on the type of cover. A friend of mine stores his cars in the garage and he has some quilted fabric looking covers that I don't think are waterproof but they keep all the dust off and cat footprints etc. I am sure there are El Cheapo plastic covers that could cause more issues than benefit. The only other option to outside storage and lack of car cover is regular bathing. a car wash every week to clear off the salt.

Trying to understand the best rust repair solution for my 1984 Cruiser, Maya. Manly concerned with the rust in her undercarriage and a bit by the roof racks.

As an addition, I live 3 blocks from the ocean in SF - any recommendations on a cover that will protect her from the elements would be incredible!
Took me a while to get back here! Took pictures of the rust that i'm more concerned with along the rain lip on the top of the car - any suggestions would be amazing - wondering how deep this is any how to fix before it hurts the structural integrity of the car. I have a weather-proof fitted car cover I use every night fwiw as well

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3812_LI.jpg

This is the kind of rust usually referred to as cancer, it always get way worse before it gets better. The paint needs to come off, the bad metal gets cut out, good stuff welded in and then resealed repainted. sanding it, treating it and bondo/ fiberglass are a cheaper option and are DIY if you don't have access to grinders and a welder.
IMG_3813_LI.jpg

This one is seems a bit too linear , looks like a good sized crack, almost like a previous repair that failed, but the new repair process is the same as above. as far as structural integrity , in this spot you no longer have any, and if the rust up top is this bad, I would also look at the rear of the frame and the other areas that are prone to rust on 60's.

View attachment 2696768
This is the kind of rust usually referred to as cancer, it always get way worse before it gets better. The paint needs to come off, the bad metal gets cut out, good stuff welded in and then resealed repainted. sanding it, treating it and bondo/ fiberglass are a cheaper option and are DIY if you don't have access to grinders and a welder.View attachment 2696779
This one is seems a bit too linear , looks like a good sized crack, almost like a previous repair that failed, but the new repair process is the same as above. as far as structural integrity , in this spot you no longer have any, and if the rust up top is this bad, I would also look at the rear of the frame and the other areas that are prone to rust on 60's.
Thank you!

I just did that repair.. mine is not for show but rather to seal it up from moisture as I live on the beach as well. Here is what it most likely looks like under that bubble once cut…

55FB701C-8AB1-45AF-AC7D-581BB258ECED.jpeg

3CB934D1-1710-41AB-9E6D-307C9656D2A4.jpeg

27C1BF3D-F5C8-4500-9E03-75E507F48111.jpeg

61F9B3DB-23CE-4DCC-82EE-D7F5390946C2.jpeg

E37CE40D-F431-42A2-9F96-3DD2A8E70B61.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom