Undercarriage Rust Prevention: Home Brew Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FMC80

SILVER Star
Threads
Cruiser heads,

My cruisers aren’t affected by rust as I don’t expose them to corrosive environments. If I take the cruiser to the beach, it gets pressure washed just for my peace of mind that same day. My current situation doesn’t require rust prevention but that may change in the near future.

Reading threads about what others have to do to mitigate rust as well as their preventive measures got me thinking if people use something other than wool wax, fluid film or another product entirely. Obviously, there are pros and cons; some products smell, some products get goopy and need to be wiped off, some are very expensive, etc etc.

Many on this forum are known for their wrenching prowess and “learning by doing” mentality which brings me to my question: Do any of you use your own type of rust prevention? A secret cocktail conjured up from the depths of your great-great grandfather’s garage?

Here’s a recipe I got from a member long ago. Back story: I wanted to buy his 200 but it was located in the rust belt and I, along with others wanted to see undercarriage shots. Well, he posted the undersides and it was immaculate. He said he used the cruiser as a family hauler and his family grew out of it. He didn’t indicate to me whether he did or didn’t drive the cruiser in the weather but I got the sense he used it year-round. He shared his “family recipe”with me that he and his family have been using for many years. Here’s the recipe & how to:

1. With truck on jacks and wheels off (in prep for rotation), power wash the underside and wheel wells

2. Let dry overnight

3. Spray with 2/3 CRC Power Lube & 1/3 ATF (I use any yard sprayer) - plan on about 1.5gal of mixture (so I buy 2 gal CRC and 2 qts of ATF)

4. Let sit overnight

5. Wipe excess off

6. You can soak just about everything, but I would advise against soaking the exhaust and cats - for obvious reasons.

It is messy. I pre-soak the driveway with water to keep the drips from soaking into the concrete (don't get the truck wet - obvious issue with applying oil to a wet surface). It's amazing mixture. The family has been doing this for years and it doesn't collect dirt - remains clean as can be.

Here are the pics of his cruiser. I also like that he said it doesn’t collect dirt.
9177FBC1-D51F-48DE-B0D2-3AAE470FAB19.jpeg

04C2ED49-2AED-4C59-AEAA-855AD0CB41C7.jpeg

Now, this is one man’s testament and it lacks robust study/analysis and empirical data but, I do have faith in the character of the dude that shared this with me. I’m sharing it with you now and when I get back to the CONUS, I will use this recipe and coat my cruisers. I’ll get back to you after a few winters and let you know how I fared 😉

I have some light surface rust on the axle housings that I need to deal with once it gets warm enough to apply paint around here. once I get them looking good, I can see my self applying some sort of "treatment" like this. Thanks for sharing.

Cool, home brew looks great.

A while ago I made a large batch of Ed's Red gun cleaning solution. So much I had to share it. Great stuff.
It's more of a cleaner but uses ATF and lanolin (which might be a nice addition to the undercarriage mixture).

I will be putting the Cosmoline stuff on my pickup. Hp-341 but i believe CRC has the same stuff for cheaper. From the people who have tried it. It stands up great to even pressure washers.

@FMC80 I had no idea this was a thing, but clearly I’ve been living in my endless baselining cave. I’ll continue to extend my list of ways to spend time on my cruiser:flipoff2:

If the OP doesn't mind (adding to above topic): while you're at it, for the interior body cavities/fenders/doors/hatch/liftgate/rocker panels, etc, there's 3M Cavity Wax, doesn't stink, same stuff as what the OEM's and Body Shops use ie: after a body panel replacement. Buy a few cans and the kit of different type/length spray nozzles which snap onto the can in place of the usual small nozzle ie: so you can apply the wax deep into a panel/cavity.

FWIW.

Last edited:
If the OP doesn't mind (adding to above topic): while you're at it, for the interior body cavities/fenders/doors/hatch/liftgate etc, there's 3M Cavity Wax, doesn't stink, same stuff as what the OEM's and Body Shops use ie: after a body panel replacement. Buy a few cans and the kit of different type/length spray nozzles which snap onto the can in place of the usual small nozzle ie: so you can apply the wax deep into a panel/cavity.

FWIW.
Kernal, thanks for the additional info; this discussion welcomes your experience and inputs to combat and mitigate corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom