Undercarriage Rust - LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey 👋

I'm thinking of buying a 2000 LX 470 with 130K miles on it. Price is 13K.

Car looks clean inside and out.

Seller shared the following pictures of the undercarriage. I really don't know if this rust level is considered bad or OK considering the age of the car. Please let me know your thoughts 💭

Appreciate your time and input.
received_207800898464442.jpeg
received_936223350896052.jpeg
received_511762761135663.jpeg
received_727042522395660.jpeg
received_543950097580729.jpeg

That’s like a 8 year old chicago truck. Seen much worse.

Depends. You don't have a location listed, but in the rust belt that would be acceptable and/or even above average. If it's cheap then it's probably worth it.

Those hard brake lines over the rear axle aren't great, I'd be replacing them. It might be indicative of more stuff like that so include that work and more in your offer.

Depends. You don't have a location listed, but in the rust belt that would be acceptable and/or even above average. If it's cheap then it's probably worth it.

Those hard brake lines over the rear axle aren't great, I'd be replacing them. It might be indicative of more stuff like that so include that work and more in your offer.
Thanks for your input 🙂 I am in Chicago. The seller wants 13K. What would the cost be to replace the brake lines approximately?

That truck could be sprayed with a grease-type rustproofing and saved. But, see if all the cladding is falling off due to clips rusting. Lexus cladding traps salt, water, and dirt and doors/fenders rust out as a result. Don't just examine the frame.

RE: brake lines - anything rusty tends to be expensive to replace, because the rusty part is connected to another rusty part. You wonder about the brake parts around the parking brake drum.

Thanks for your input 🙂 I am in Chicago. The seller wants 13K. What would the cost be to replace the brake lines approximately?
No idea, you will need to have a shop inspect and quote their prices for the work

That truck could be sprayed with a grease-type rustproofing and saved. But, see if all the cladding is falling off due to clips rusting. Lexus cladding traps salt, water, and dirt and doors/fenders rust out as a result. Don't just examine the frame.

RE: brake lines - anything rusty tends to be expensive to replace, because the rusty part is connected to another rusty part. You wonder about the brake parts around the parking brake drum.
Thanks. I take it you are not impressed by the brake parts around the parking brake drum 😁?

Thanks. I take it you are not impressed by the brake parts around the parking brake drum 😁?

(Seriously) what I meant was that the drum, by nature, traps water and humidity, so it may be the worst area. If you pull a drum, be prepared to see a rust farm.

Also check the panhard rod mount on the rear axle.

One of your pix above also shows a severely rusted running board mount. Mine were pretty badly rusted in Colorado, so yours will be a lot worse. I know that midwesterners have to take a different view toward rust, but you don't want a truck that starts out in a hole, in that regard.

(Seriously) what I meant was that the drum, by nature, traps water and humidity, so it may be the worst area. If you pull a drum, be prepared to see a rust farm.

Also check the panhard rod mount on the rear axle.

One of your pix above also shows a severely rusted running board mount. Mine were pretty badly rusted in Colorado, so yours will be a lot worse. I know that midwesterners have to take a different view toward rust, but you don't want a truck that starts out in a hole, in that regard.
You are right. Thank you for your valuable input!! I don't think it is worth it then honestly at the price. The search continues..

If it’s got a decent maintenance history and if condition of the rest of the vehicle is decent, I’d be all over that for 13k especially considering the low miles. That rust really isn’t bad at all and as mentioned some fluid film would likely turn it right around.

If it’s got a decent maintenance history and if condition of the rest of the vehicle is decent, I’d be all over that for 13k especially considering the low miles. That rust really isn’t bad at all and as mentioned some fluid film would likely turn it right around.
The interior and exterior is all nice and good. Service history is a bit sketchy. Seller is a mechanic and did some stuff himself that he doesn't have documents for. Apparently changed the AHC to regular land cruiser suspension. I don't know... Probably best to pass on this.

The interior and exterior is all nice and good. Service history is a bit sketchy. Seller is a mechanic and did some stuff himself that he doesn't have documents for. Apparently changed the AHC to regular land cruiser suspension. I don't know... Probably best to pass on this.
A PPI will run you under $200 at the dealer. Could be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom