Under hood temp and compressor that won't run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever measure temps in engine bay after some heavy off-roading in summer. I only have stock gauge. Needle never goes above half. AC still blows cold and no noticeable issues. On highway needed is 1/8 from cold.

My issue is I had TJM pro locker and compressor installed. It stops working as soon as my LC sits for little while or I'm doing so slow driving. Thermal protection circuit stops it from turning on. Get back on the highway it's fine. Had local dealer swap it out and same issue.

I will contact them to get resolved but interested to know if anyone ever measured temp during heat soak?

20210405_151907.jpg

I've never measured the ambient underhood temps directly. I'd imagine that, in order to get an accurate measurement of the underhood air temperature, you'd need to install a sensor in the engine bay to measure this directly. If you popped the hood and used an infrared thermometer, you'd immediately vent all that hot air as soon as the hood opened.

On the other hand, I do routinely pull up intake air temp on my Scangauge, particularly in summer. In St. Louis, on a hot day (say, 95 deg F), my IAT will sometimes hit 140 to 145 deg F. I would speculate that the IAT--through the intake system--may be at least 50 to 60 deg cooler than the ambient underhood temp.

i measured 155 deg F under hood during slow trail driving. It was setting off the temperature protection on my under-hood SwitchPRO SP9100. I had to relocate all those electronics into the cabin.

I've never measured the ambient underhood temps directly. I'd imagine that, in order to get an accurate measurement of the underhood air temperature, you'd need to install a sensor in the engine bay to measure this directly. If you popped the hood and used an infrared thermometer, you'd immediately vent all that hot air as soon as the hood opened.

On the other hand, I do routinely pull up intake air temp on my Scangauge, particularly in summer. In St. Louis, on a hot day (say, 95 deg F), my IAT will sometimes hit 140 to 145 deg F. I would speculate that the IAT--through the intake system--may be at least 50 to 60 deg cooler than the ambient underhood temp.
Thanks for the info. That's what I am also thinking on temps. Thermal cutoff on the larger TJM compressor is 220 so I'm guessing the metal body is absorbing heat and getting over that causing it not to come on.

Thanks for the info. That's what I am also thinking on temps. Thermal cutoff on the larger TJM compressor is 220 so I'm guessing the metal body is absorbing heat and getting over that causing it not to come on.

Or...the 'thermal' is inaccurate.

Or...the 'thermal' is inaccurate.
This was what I assumed. Had them install new compressor and same issue. Either this small prolocker compressor has substandard thermal for under the hood or my LC is just hotter than most using this comp. Seems like someone else would have had the issue from AUS and it would be known to TJM. They seemed to think it was just a bad compressor and swapped it out. I don't have obd2 on my GCC spec LC so will try tech stream today and see what temps it may give. Will also pick up laser temp to shoot comp when it fails.

Not that happy either way that needed locker and few times and it only works at home with cool engine. Haha

Found 1.5 inch gap in fan shroud same side as compressor. Shop didn't clip bottom in on that side I guess. Who knows how long it's been that way. Maybe it was circulating air from engine/headers back over compressor? Temps are cooler while sitting in traffic but it's not a hot day. Will monitor with infrared laser gun and see what TJM says if it's an issue they have seen. Hottest temp it got to today was 150f and worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom