Unconventional OBA Setup - Help me think it through! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys and Gals -

I decided to go with the Puma compressor but with a larger 2.5 gallon tank underneath the rig. I'd like to mount just the compressor portion of the Puma beside my drawers in the back and plumb nylon tubing down to the tank and then onwards (manifold for ARB solenoids, chucks for air, etc.). My rationale is that doing so will 1) keep it dry but 2) keep it from being in sight and occupying space above the drawers). I would love your help thinking through this before I go deeper to avoid pitfalls... Here goes:

I made flip up wings to access the areas beside the drawers - the idea is to mount the Puma compressor here. Some concerns are heat (will it get hot enough to melt the panel to the right, carpet to the left)?

Untitled by jeff elliott, on Flickr

Next idea is to mount the pressure switch near the drawer opening such that, when you open the drawer, you can actuate the pressure switch on and off. I realize this means the ARB switches won't actuate the compressor - the alternative would be to find a relay and use an electric pressure switch (which I have) on the tank to trip the relay on and off. Thoughts?

Tank situation is pretty standard - made a bracket out of angle iron that mounts to the cross member of the frame - used rubber grommets to act as shock absorbers.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Jeff

I have burned my hand on my Puma, but I think if it's not actually touching the carpet or plastic, and has at least 1/2" clearance it shouldn't melt anything.

I have envisioned and sort-of planned a similar setup for my Puma, but I know little to nothing about wiring and air systems, so I'll follow along for everyone else's ideas here :)

Guys and Gals -

I decided to go with the Puma compressor but with a larger 2.5 gallon tank underneath the rig. I'd like to mount just the compressor portion of the Puma beside my drawers in the back and plumb nylon tubing down to the tank and then onwards (manifold for ARB solenoids, chucks for air, etc.). My rationale is that doing so will 1) keep it dry but 2) keep it from being in sight and occupying space above the drawers). I would love your help thinking through this before I go deeper to avoid pitfalls... Here goes:

I made flip up wings to access the areas beside the drawers - the idea is to mount the Puma compressor here. Some concerns are heat (will it get hot enough to melt the panel to the right, carpet to the left)?

Next idea is to mount the pressure switch near the drawer opening such that, when you open the drawer, you can actuate the pressure switch on and off. I realize this means the ARB switches won't actuate the compressor - the alternative would be to find a relay and use an electric pressure switch (which I have) on the tank to trip the relay on and off. Thoughts?

Tank situation is pretty standard - made a bracket out of angle iron that mounts to the cross member of the frame - used rubber grommets to act as shock absorbers.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Jeff
I am planning on doing exactly the same with my Viair pump but I want to mount the tank just below where the compressor sits inside. I quess due to heat it should be mounted on the box or a separate bracket.

As for heat, leave space and it'll probably be fine. I'd put it under the hood or vehicle myself though. I personally put it inside on a previous vehicle, and now hate the noise a 12v compressor makes with a passion.

Regarding your controls, yes, wire the dash switch in series with your pressure switch contact to activate a relay. Use the relay output contacts to operate the pump. Fuse circuits appropriately. Safe and efficient.

why not mount the pump underneath where the tank is?
I thought about this and it would simplify things greatly - that said, I am worried in that it's an electric motor that will be getting a lot of mist / moisture from rain on the road. I thought about fabing up a box to mount underneath to keep most of the splash off but that seemed like more work than putting it inside.

Happy to hear anyone's view on the pro/cons

Really depends on how much space you need inside and what those priorities are. But these are twin 24v 333-IG's on a 6 gallon pancake. Power is controlled by switches on the dash and switches on the gauge panel. And yes, highly recommend the fan to move some air around.

7496384971908601425.jpg

-8711217083321389368.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom