Uncontrolled Horn blowing SOLVED! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home today when suddenly the horn began blowing and couldn't be stopped (1999 with 330,000 miles and not rust issues). I finally disconnected both but am trying to find out what happened. It's both front horns so might not be the alarm horn on the side. It rained today (we're in Mass) and I wonder if that had an impact. I rarely use the horn and wasn't touching the center of the steering wheel. Has anybody else had this happen? I'm also wondering if maybe the relay is bad, which I assume is in the fuse box. Thanks for any ideas.
Ned

Last edited:
My bet is the rain. If you pull enough stuff apart to get to the fuse boxes (one on each side), I bet you'll find water/wetness in the vicinity. The fuseboxes are right under the windshield channels, and the front sunroof drains run right by there as well.

My 99 LC did this when it rained. It was water intrusion along the top edge of the windshield and getting the fusebox wet on the drivers side kickpanel. I would have to dry out my truck every time it rained with a dehumidifier.

Mine was rust related, hidden behind the windshield trim, but lots of stories on here about improperly installed windshields too.

As a joke, we wired a buddy's horn to his turn signal. Loads of laughs. #worthit Not helpful but relevant. Check your friends.

I had the same issue as you and it happened while a family member was driving it and it freaked them out. I ended up having my dad meet them and pull the horn relay. After that, no matter how much drying I did on the truck it wouldn't go away. I parked it in a garage for 2wks and had a couple fans and 2 dehumidifiers going continuous. Got everything down to 30%. After all of that, the second I plugged the horn relay back in it would go off and it's been like that ever since. I haven't really cared to dig into it too much since then, but I am currently driving around with no horn now:(

Water its leaking from the windshield drivers side molding to the left kick panel fusebox.
If you remove the a pillar trim you will be able to see evidence of water there.
Pull the windshield out, replace the molding, add more urethane, probably fix some of the rust and its all good.

Pilled up the carpet and it was soaked probably due to a stuck sunroof not being shut tight. Got it all dried out and it's working just fine. Thanks guys!! Now to figure out the sun roof issue. Ned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom