Uncle. Knuckles and brakes, how to find the right mechanic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. Especially with the FSM and the in depth information available on a 92 FJ80.

But, I give up. Did the knuckle job. New birfs and of course all normal replacement parts per the FSM and with good ol OTRAMM’s video to assist. The knuckles are bone dry, the previously perfect brakes are now working but intermittently mushy, and it pulls to one side where it was tracking perfect. (The steering was actually noticeably good for any vehicle, much less a 30 year old truck.)

I’m clearly not taking to a Toyota dealership, so what’s the normal path to find a shop that won’t make it even worse than I did? Cruisers aren’t a “thing” where I am in NW Florida so there’s no obvious choice.

Didn’t know of any but great idea. I just posted and reached out to a couple of possible ideas. Thanks!

"The knuckles are bone dry, the previously perfect brakes are now working but intermittently mushy, and it pulls to one side where it was tracking perfect."
You mean the ball wipers are working or...? Anyway I like to give the ball a light coat of grease after putting in new wiper felts to minimize wear. The pulling to one side sounds like it may be related to the intermittant mushy brakes - most likely air in one side. Any garage can sort that out for you.

I don’t think so? But it’s my first attempt. It’s like there’s nothing to wipe. They are as bone dry as they were after disassembly and cleaning on the lift. Could be correct, but that seems really odd?

I’ve bled them enough that the fluid is beautiful and clean - so I guess that’s a good thing lol. Just no change in the brakes. I’m clearly doing something wrong.

You make a fair point, for sure. Any shop should be able to sort a brake bleed. (Of course I thought I could, too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom