'Um.. is this the right room?' Nuub Troopy owner enters, crickets and stares ensue ;) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got an email from the seller--he says he has a deal pending for the body only, but will still have the chassis (with VIN + powertrain ) available if the deal goes as planned. @RHINO , you planning to build something special? Or are you not the "body only" buyer?

I am not, I want a whole truck

Last edited:
Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

It looks like a Middle East spec truck, at least from the hood ornament. On the other hand, it is in too good condition to be a South American (the other market that got the ornament) spec vehicle.

Given its condition, it should be better to stay with the 3F engine.

Juan

Welcome to the club. I think Martin forwarded you my quotes for Alucab install and the 1HDT swap. Let me know when you are ready to get 20mpg or double that interior space with a pop-top :D
To the OP, a 1hd swap of any sort will make yourself truck illegal in the US. The state emissions office down in denver is pretty strict about that here, so would likely not allow you to get emissions tests after the swap. Unless you can plate in Wyoming, or somewhere else that doesn’t test, you should stick to US compliant/certified engines for a swap. That 2.8 Cummins looks pretty cool, if you want diesel.

To the OP, a 1hd swap of any sort will make yourself truck illegal in the US. The state emissions office down in denver is pretty strict about that here, so would likely not allow you to get emissions tests after the swap. Unless you can plate in Wyoming, or somewhere else that doesn’t test, you should stick to US compliant/certified engines for a swap. That 2.8 Cummins looks pretty cool, if you want diesel.

Out of genuine curiosity, and because I ripped the 3F out of my personal troopy for a 1HDT, how is it illegal?

People out here doing engine swaps all the time and I've never heard of a seizure.

Out of genuine curiosity, and because I ripped the 3F out of my personal troopy for a 1HDT, how is it illegal?

People out here doing engine swaps all the time and I've never heard of a seizure.
The EPA exemption for importation only allows for stock motors to the vehicle, or engine swaps that use US compliant engines only. So a non US toyota diesel swap invalidates your exemption. You don’t hear of people having problems generally, because most places don’t look for it, or do emissions at all even. But the front range of colorado is pretty strict about it, and since he lives here, he should know, so he has a plan to plate it.

code E, in the attached pic.

1609955733053.jpeg

It’s a violation of the tampering provision of the Clean Air Act.
Over 25 year old imports have an exemption from EPA regs , but only if they’re in “original unmodified condition “. Motor swap=modification. Modification = no more exemption. Without the exemption, you’d need to meet EPA regs. You won’t.

Seizure is a whole other ballgame. Feds could, but unlikely they would. Not a big enough prize for them to bother.

Re: Denver emissions, OP only needs to be about halfway to Estes Park to not need to bother with Front Range emissions. Check the program area map online.

Last edited:
Over 25 year old imports have an exemption from EPA regs , but only if they’re in “original unmodified condition “. Motor swap=modification. Modification = no more exemption. Without the exception, you’d need to meet EPA regs. You won’t.

Seizure is a whole other ballgame. Feds could, but unlikely they would. Not a big enough prize for them to bother.

Re: Denver emissions, OP only needs to be about halfway to Estes Park to not need to bother with Front Range emissions. Check the program area map online.
I need to buy land in Estes! Honestly, I have thought about trying to get a super cheap cabin somewhere for this. But I’ve heard they look pretty hard at you here, for that also.

Over 25 year old imports have an exemption from EPA regs , but only if they’re in “original unmodified condition “. Motor swap=modification. Modification = no more exemption. Without the exemption, you’d need to meet EPA regs. You won’t.

Can you explain this quote from diesel toys website? It is part of their FAQ for conversions.

Regarding EPA certification: a popular myth is that because an engine is not sold in this country it automatically fails. This is patently FALSE. A NON-EPA certified engine simply means that it has not been certified by the EPA and may be subject to emissions testing (where applicable). Now, if it fails the emissions test, then it WILL need to be brought into compliance (sometimes at considerable expense).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom