Ultimate Trail Tool Kit (carry on for off road) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can agree with what your saying, I still will wrap one up, I don’t have lockers and there are lots of hiding spots in the truck

I have spline drive lugs on my wheels a spare socket is also in my tool kit

Colby valve stem repair kit as well
Added the valve repair kit!
I have a space up there for a lug nut socket, but I haven't measured my lugs yet to get the size.
I'd suggest a thin wall, deep socket also. We ran into this issue last weekend off roading in Anza Borraga. A Navy sailor was out there with his Tacoma and bent his rim. He had after market rims where the lug was counter bore. In short, the factory lug wrench wall was too thick to fit in the count bore and needed a thin wall socket to fit in there, which none of us had. We wound up leaving his truck there and drove him into town so he could get a buddy to help him the rest of the way.

Yea the lugs and wrenches are often over looked with aftermarket wheels. I use the spline style lugs so that the lug key can be used with a tire iron or socket in order to get them on/off.

Reactions: r2m
Yea the lugs and wrenches are often over looked with aftermarket wheels. I use the spline style lugs so that the lug key can be used with a tire iron or socket in order to get them on/off.
I did the same, now I need to carry a 19mm for the spline key

do we have any real issues with hoses on the gx, for example the PHH on the 80

are there any know issues with the truck where a simple spare should be carried?

Personally, I have not had or heard of any hose issues. And I don't ever keep hoses in my kit anyways, but I know some people like to have the kitchen sink so I added to the list. ;)

This is a really good list. I kept thinking of things, only to find that they were already on the list. What about a C-clamp or other types of clamps?

This is a really good list. I kept thinking of things, only to find that they were already on the list. What about a C-clamp or other types of clamps?
Hmmm. I've thought about that and the reasons to and not-to have them.
+ great to use as a "press" in a pinch.
+ trying to get two of whatever pulled together.
+ temporarily holding something together.
+ somewhat cheap unless you get a really big one
- just how large a c-clamp to have?
- heavy and take up a lot of space in a tool box/bag

So I think it may come to how large is your box or bag and do you have room?
I'll add it as an option.

I keep a C-Clamp in my bag for brake calipers.

What do you you think about the 6 ton bottle jack versus the farm jack? The bottle jack is a lot lighter. I have added so much weight that I am looking to reduce when possible.
The Hi Lift (farm jack) is not for maintenance, you can use it to lift the vehicle but you will need to support the load (shore) at the frame or axle. A bottle jack will be necessary if you have modified the vehicle with suspension and tires as a factory jack will be to short.

Multimeter, a few pieces of 10,12,14 gauge wire say 6-8' long, butt splices, electrical tape, fuses of all amperage and sizes. Coveralls, mechanics gloves, hand cleaner. I carry the kitchen sink. Being a mechanic by trade I always get roped into a repair.

Multimeter, a few pieces of 10,12,14 gauge wire say 6-8' long, butt splices, electrical tape, fuses of all amperage and sizes. Coveralls, mechanics gloves, hand cleaner. I carry the kitchen sink. Being a mechanic by trade I always get roped into a repair.
Done! Thanks! Sorry, but I didn't add the kitchen sink. Wasn't sure what size and if you preferred a one basin or two basin style and garbage disposal.

Added some handy universal tools along with valve stem cores. 👍
The universal tools (sockets and wrench) seem like a good idea, but on the other hand they look like they may not work in tight places.
But for the price and how much room they take up on the tool bag, Maybe??

Added an air hammer also.
I just went onto Harbor Freight and was looking up many of these tools and found them to be significantly cheaper then Amazon.
Okay, so it is Harbor Freight, but for a second took kit, I don't want to spend the money on expensive tools. I've done that once already.
And if they are used once and break on the trail, fine, as long as it gets me home.

Added an air hammer also.
I just went onto Harbor Freight and was looking up many of these tools and found them to be significantly cheaper then Amazon.
Okay, so it is Harbor Freight, but for a second took kit, I don't want to spend the money on expensive tools. I've done that once already.
And if they are used once and break on the trail, fine, as long as it gets me home.
How are you powering the air hammer?

How are you powering the air hammer?
Onboard air. My ARB CKMTA12 (dual compressor) can handle that.
Also anyone that uses Power Tank, SCUBA tanks or equal will have not problem with any kind of air tool. ;)

Onboard air. My ARB CKMTA12 (dual compressor) can handle that.
Also anyone that uses Power Tank, SCUBA tanks or equal will have not problem with any kind of air tool. ;)
Hmm I have one as well, not sure it would run an air hammer, I’ll have to try that out

I know it can run air tools, as I have, but there is no air volume

Hmm I have one as well, not sure it would run an air hammer, I’ll have to try that out

I know it can run air tools, as I have, but there is no air volume
Just did a quick search on Harbor Freight on their air hammers and they all state air consumption at about 4 CFM. That's really not all that much and easily doable for most compressors and definitely an air tank.
I'd used Harbor Freight just because that'd probably be the tool I'd carry on the trail. If it gets lost, stolen, accidently left behind or breaks, I won't miss it.

I was looking at a Youtube video of a guy doing rundown on how and what he has in his gear/tool bag for his Jeep. One thing that he carries in his bag that makes a ton of sense is ratchet straps! I can easily see how handy these could come in when having to just hold something broken together, strap down something, whatever. Just seem like a very handy catch-all.
I've updated the list above to include these.

I was looking at a Youtube video of a guy doing rundown on how and what he has in his gear/tool bag for his Jeep. One thing that he carries in his bag that makes a ton of sense is ratchet straps! I can easily see how handy these could come in when having to just hold something broken together, strap down something, whatever. Just seem like a very handy catch-all.
I've updated the list above to include these.
What are you doing watching jeep channels 😂

he does have a lot of good content

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom