Ultimate Trail Tool Kit (carry on for off road) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

r2m

Richard
Threads
This is something that I've been meaning to do for some time, put together a secondary tool kit to grab when I'm heading off pavement.
So what I'd like to do is see what the consensus is on what and/or how many tools to carry along when wheeling/overlanding.
I'd like to have a few categories:
Just minimal Metric tools (okay so I can be a little narcissistic and let the Jeeps fend for themselves). I don't need every bloody size metric socket in every depth and point (6/12 point) in every drive size (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2).
So for this section I know we must have:
Hand tools:
  • 3/8" Drive
    • drive ratchet
    • Various adapters: 1/4" to 3/8"; 3/8" to 1/2"; 3/8" to 1/4"; 1/2" to 3/8"
    • 3/8" extensions
      • one short
      • one long
    • 3/8" breaker bar
    • 10mm
    • 12mm
    • 13mm
    • 14mm
    • 17mm
    • 19mm
    • Universal socket: Amazon product ASIN B08DCVR5SB
    • ?
  • 1/2" Drive
    • breaker bar
    • short extension
    • 12mm
    • 14mm
    • 17mm
    • 19mm
    • 22mm
    • 35mm
    • XXmm for lugs
    • XXmm for wheel hubs
    • XXmm for crank pully
    • ??
  • Screwdrivers
    • Philips
      • Long/large tip
      • Medium/medium tip
      • Short/medium tip
    • Flat
      • Long/large tip
      • Medium/medium tip
      • Short/medium tip
    • Bit driver with assortment of bits, could replace not having screwdrivers, Torx or Allen set.
  • Wrenches, combo open/box end
  • Allen Wrench set, basic metric sizes
  • Hammer, any or all listed below
    • Claw
    • Ball peen
    • Dead blow
    • Baby/small sledge hammer
  • Pliers
    • Linesman
    • Needle Nose
    • Slip Lock, large
    • Vice Grips
  • Wire cutters
  • Wire Stripper/Crimper
  • Cheater bar, pipe to fit over breaker bar
  • Pry bar
  • Tape measure
  • Reamer (to enlarge hole sizes)
  • Gloves, heavy work type
  • Bottle jack accessories
  • C-Clamp (size ??)
  • Multimeter maybe with thermistor (and extra batteries)
  • Valve stem tool with extra valve stem cores (removing valve stem cores)
  • Drill set, small basic sizes for drilling metal
  • Ratchet straps
  • OBDII code reader, OBDII donggle and an app for your phone will do the same and more.
  • Silicone funnels
  • Sawzall (cordless or corded if you have an inverter) for trail brush
  • Loppers (tree trimming) for trail brush
  • ??
Power/air tools:
  • Air drill
  • Air angle cutter/grinder and extra wheels
  • Air ratchet (great for tight places when you can't swing a manual ratchet)
  • Air impact wrench (?? maybe not)
  • Air sawzall and blades
  • Air hammer
  • ??
Replacement Parts (not for the tool bag):
  • Belts
    • Serpentine
    • Accessory
  • Hoses
    • Lower water
    • Upper water
  • Lug nuts??
  • Extra common metric screws and nuts
  • Tire repair kit
  • Fuses, various sizes
  • Wire crimping connections: butt, ring, spade, 3-way
  • 10, 12, 14 gauge electrical wire say ~6'-10' long
  • Valve stem cores and caps
  • ??
Some necessary materials (not for tool bag):
  • Bailing wire. Not very strong but good for use on items that get hot, e.g. mufflers, things close to the exhaust under the hood, etc.
  • Duct tape, e.g. Gorilla Tape or whatever your favorite is.
  • Electrical tape
  • Cable ties (zip ties), long and strong, reusable if possible
  • WD40 or equal
  • Hose clamps, various sizes
  • Towels, e.g. rags, blue paper shop towels, micro fiber cloths, toilet paper, wet wipes
  • Fast setting JB Weld
  • Permatex Gasket Maker (Gasketing – Gasket Makers - https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/gasket-makers/?locale=en_us )
  • Small tarp (for working/laying on)
  • Maybe Tyvek bunny suit (jump suit), again for ground work.
  • Starter fluid
  • Ratchet straps
  • ??
First Aid:
  • Army IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit)
  • Ibuprofen (or other anti-inflammatory)
  • Trauma kit
  • Blood clotting material (may be in a trauma kit)
  • Cynoacrylate (yes, superglue) for closing wounds. You can even get medical grade, but I've always just used what's off the shelf.
  • Neosporin, if it's not already in your kit
  • Band-aids, keep extra, there usually is never enough in a first aid kit.
  • Alcohol wipes
  • Tweezers
  • Scissors, if you don't already have a set on you.
  • Sutures (if you think you have the stomach to do it)
  • Smelling salts (may be in trauma kit)
  • Cotton swabs
  • ???
Recovery Gear:
Tool list to fill out the factory tools missing from the rear door tray:
20230314_182406-jpg.3272454

Any other categories??

I will try to edit this post as people respond with additional items.
I know this is a very incomplete list, but I just banged this out to get it started.
The biggest question is what are the essential sockets needed on our rigs? I know we don't need to carry an entire Crsftsman 1500 tool Mechanics tool chest. So just how little can we get away with and still be able to self service most issues on the trail, excluding broken axles, cracked heads, blown diff's?

Last edited:
List looks good, also add shop towels, blue paper shop towels, micro fiber cloths, toilet paper, wet wipes, disposable gloves and Gorilla Tape. I carry a dead blow hammer along with the standard claw and small sledge. Another useful item is the fast setting JB Weld, this comes in handy with the motorcycles as well.

List looks good, also add shop towels, blue paper shop towels, micro fiber cloths, toilet paper, wet wipes, disposable gloves and Gorilla Tape. I carry a dead blow hammer along with the standard claw and small sledge. Another useful item is the fast setting JB Weld, this comes in handy with the motorcycles as well.
Thanks! I've added that to the list.
Any thoughts as to the best/most often used socket sizes?
I forgot to add wrenches!!
Looking for best wrench and socket sizes to have without including every increment.

I think you've added the right ones, I'd put 12, 17, and 19mm in there as well. It'll all be dependent really on your mods such as bumpers and suspension as those can be different across the board.

22mm wrench for tie rods. 35mm socket for axles.
I carry a vice grip style crescent wrench that works great.
I forget the front diff fill plug size 8mm or 10mm hex.

Your list includes a lot more than I typically take, but I don't plan for every possible breakage, just the most likely or most crippling things I expect to experience and can even possibly begin to repair on the trail.

I don't take air tools or as many pliers, specifically, but that's just me.

Some thoughts on additions:

- thread locker
- I second JB weld (plastic and metal friendly) and some mesh exhaust patch kit stuff (I've repaired a few of mine and my friends oil pans with this stuff).
- Small/medium Ratchet straps, again...these and some creative rigging can fix a lot of suspension issues or hold together body panels/bumpers with trail damage.
- Allen and torx sets of common sizes
- gas siphon (useful for many things other than gas)
- code reader
- spare fuses, relay and a few feet of 14 awg electrical wire
- fluke voltmeter or circuit test light
- spare u-joints (usually keep one or two of each common size when refreshing them to new)
- 6-8" c clamp (for u-joints among many other uses)
- if it needs to be said, a good knife

That's all I can think of at the moment.

What do you you think about the 6 ton bottle jack versus the farm jack? The bottle jack is a lot lighter. I have added so much weight that I am looking to reduce when possible.

What do you you think about the 6 ton bottle jack versus the farm jack? The bottle jack is a lot lighter. I have added so much weight that I am looking to reduce when possible.

I saw someone here suggest a bottle jack kit like this one and am contemplating switching to it. Looks like it'd handle the needs I have from a jack.

Takes up more space than
I saw someone here suggest a bottle jack kit like this one and am contemplating switching to it. Looks like it'd handle the needs I have from a jack.

My dad has that same jack in his travel trailer, it's a nice piece of kit. I'd really like to carry another Pro-Eagle jack like I had in my Power Wagon but they take up some space.

I think you've added the right ones, I'd put 12, 17, and 19mm in there as well. It'll all be dependent really on your mods such as bumpers and suspension as those can be different across the board.
Added
Your list includes a lot more than I typically take, but I don't plan for every possible breakage, just the most likely or most crippling things I expect to experience and can even possibly begin to repair on the trail.

I don't take air tools or as many pliers, specifically, but that's just me.

Some thoughts on additions:

- thread locker
- I second JB weld (plastic and metal friendly) and some mesh exhaust patch kit stuff (I've repaired a few of mine and my friends oil pans with this stuff).
- Small/medium Ratchet straps, again...these and some creative rigging can fix a lot of suspension issues or hold together body panels/bumpers with trail damage.
- Allen and torx sets of common sizes
- gas siphon (useful for many things other than gas)
- code reader
- spare fuses, relay and a few feet of 14 awg electrical wire
- fluke voltmeter or circuit test light
- spare u-joints (usually keep one or two of each common size when refreshing them to new)
- 6-8" c clamp (for u-joints among many other uses)
- if it needs to be said, a good knife

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Added!
Added! Never seen these before, I can see this coming handy!
!
22mm wrench for tie rods. 35mm socket for axles.
I carry a vice grip style crescent wrench that works great.
I forget the front diff fill plug size 8mm or 10mm hex.
Added!

We (should) already have the bottle jack that came with our vehicles, and if you're serious enough about your adventures, you should also have a HighLift or equal too!
Although I did add the accessory kit, that's pretty cool! Which brings up the point that this list is not intended for recovery, just when something goes sideways in the middle of nowhere.

Thinking about it, I think I may create another post for suggested recovery gear.

ALSO STILL LOOKING FOR MORE COMMON SIZE SOCKETS AND WRENCHES IN METRIC TO ADD! 👍

Adding this as an easy addition to those still using stock bottle jacks. Bottle Jack Adapter. Cheap addition and supports one of our forum vendors.

What's everyone using for tool storage?
Yep, I'm familiar with LandcruiserPhil. He posts a lot of great stuff on the 100 series forum when I had my old Landcruiser.
And yes, great little option to have stuffed in ones bag! I'll add it.

This is something that I've been meaning to do for some time, put together a secondary tool kit to grab when I'm heading off pavement.
So what I'd like to do is see what the consensus is on what and/or how many tools to carry along when wheeling/overlanding.
I'd like to have a few categories:
Just minimal Metric tools (okay so I can be a little narcissistic and let the Jeeps fend for themselves). I don't need every bloody size metric socket in every depth and point (6/12 point) in every drive size (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2).
So for this section I know we must have:
Hand tools:
  • 3/8" Drive
    • drive ratchet
    • 3/8" extensions
      • one short
      • one long
    • 3/8" breaker bar
    • 10mm
    • 13mm
    • 15mm
    • ?
  • 1/2" Drive
    • breaker bar
    • short extensions
    • 22mm
    • 35mm
    • XXmm for lugs
    • XXmm for wheel hubs
    • XXmm for crank pully
    • ??
  • Screwdrivers
    • Philips
      • Long/large tip
      • Medium/medium tip
      • Short/medium tip
    • Flat
      • Long/large tip
      • Medium/medium tip
      • Short/medium tip
  • Wrenches, combo open/box end
    • 10mm
    • 13mm
    • 15mm
    • ??
  • Allen Wrench set, basic metric sizes
  • Hammer, any or all listed below
    • Claw
    • Ball peen
    • Dead blow
    • Baby/small sledge hammer
  • Pliers
    • Linesman
    • Needle Nose
    • Slip Lock, large
    • Vice Grips
  • Wire cutters
  • Cheater bar to fit over breaker bar
  • Pry bar
  • Tape measure
  • Reamer (to enlarge hole sizes)
  • Gloves
  • ??
Power/air tools:
  • Air drill
  • Air angle cutter/grinder
  • Air ratchet (great for tight places when you can't swing a manual ratchet)
  • Air impact wrench (?? maybe not)
  • Air sawzall
  • ??
Replacement Parts (not for the tool bag):
  • Belts
    • Serpentine
    • Accessory
  • Hoses
    • Lower water
    • Upper water
  • Lug nuts??
  • Extra common metric screws and nuts
  • Tire repair kit
  • ??
Some necessary materials (not for tool bag):
  • Bailing wire. Not very strong but good for use on item that get hot.
  • Duct tape, e.g. Gorilla Tape or whatever your favorite is.
  • Cable ties (zip ties), long and strong
  • WD40 or equal
  • Hose clamps, various sizes
  • Towels, e.g. rags, blue paper shop towels, micro fiber cloths, toilet paper, wet wipes
  • Fast setting JB Weld
  • ??
Any other categories??

I will try to edit this post as people respond with additional items.
I know this is a very incomplete list, but I just banged this out to get it started.
The biggest question is what are the essential sockets needed on our rigs? I know we don't need to carry an entire Crsftsman 1500 tool Mechanics tool chest. So just how little can we get away with and still be able to self service most issues on the trail, excluding broken axles, cracked heads, blown diff's?

14 mm, 12mm, 17mm

I’ve never used a 15mm on my truck

I also carry have a mikwalkie 1/2 inch Impact I bring for busting lose the hard stuff

Last edited:
No 14 mm, 12mm, 17mm

I’ve never used a 15mm on my truck

I also carry have a mikwalkie 1/2 inch Impact I bring for busting lose the hard stuff
Done!

Spare, cheap cv axle
Hummm. Not sure I'd add that. I'm trying to avoid the over the top type of repairs like axles, brakes, diff's, etc.
Because then the list can go crazy, like extra birfs/cvs, drive shaft and u joints, brake pads, every hose and belt, every kind of fluid, yada, yada, yada, One can go short of a full rebuild.
Trying to keep this on the simple side, just one tool box or tool bag that can be thrown in the back when heading out on an adventure.
Also, I don't think a front axle would keep one stuck. I believe you can just remove it and you should be able to still drive out of wherever. Same thing with a drive shaft, if you have front lockers. Just remove the drive shaft and you should be good to go.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hummm. Not sure I'd add that. I'm trying to avoid the over the top type of repairs like axles, brakes, diff's, etc.
Because then the list can go crazy, like extra birfs/cvs, drive shaft and u joints, brake pads, every hose and belt, every kind of fluid, yada, yada, yada, One can go short of a full rebuild.
Trying to keep this on the simple side, just one tool box or tool bag that can be thrown in the back when heading out on an adventure.
Also, I don't think a front axle would keep one stuck. I believe you can just remove it and you should be able to still drive out of wherever. Same thing with a drive shaft, if you have front lockers. Just remove the drive shaft and you should be good to go.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can agree with what your saying, I still will wrap one up, I don’t have lockers and there are lots of hiding spots in the truck

I have spline drive lugs on my wheels a spare socket is also in my tool kit

Colby valve stem repair kit as well

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom