Ultimate Trail Tool Kit (carry on for off road) (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are you doing watching keep channels 😂

he does have a lot of good content
I know, I know... It was a weak moment and there wasn't anything on 150 series I hadn't already seen...
My bad. 😢

Just added Multimeter to the list.
Was just thinking that this could be an indispensable tool on the trail if one starts having any electrical issues.

Permatex Gasket Maker - I haven't needed it on the GX, but I used it this past weekend to seal a Chevy Trail Boss differential cover that got caught on a rock and deformed enough to lose all the differential oil.

Good list, thank you.

Reactions: r2m
Just added it to the list along with a link! 👍

This is something that I've been meaning to do for some time, put together a secondary tool kit to grab when I'm heading off pavement.
So what I'd like to do is see what the consensus is on what and/or how many tools to carry along when wheeling/overlanding.
I'd like to have a few categories:
Just minimal Metric tools (okay so I can be a little narcissistic and let the Jeeps fend for themselves). I don't need every bloody size metric socket in every depth and point (6/12 point) in every drive size (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2).
So for this section I know we must have:
Hand tools:
  • 3/8" Drive
    • drive ratchet
    • Various adapters: 1/4" to 3/8"; 3/8" to 1/2"; 3/8" to 1/4"; 1/2" to 3/8"
    • 3/8" extensions
      • one short
      • one long
    • 3/8" breaker bar
    • 10mm
    • 12mm
    • 13mm
    • 14mm
    • 17mm
    • 19mm
    • Universal socket: Amazon product ASIN B08DCVR5SB
    • ?
  • 1/2" Drive
    • breaker bar
    • short extension
    • 12mm
    • 14mm
    • 17mm
    • 19mm
    • 22mm
    • 35mm
    • XXmm for lugs
    • XXmm for wheel hubs
    • XXmm for crank pully
    • ??
  • Screwdrivers
    • Philips
      • Long/large tip
      • Medium/medium tip
      • Short/medium tip
    • Flat
      • Long/large tip
      • Medium/medium tip
      • Short/medium tip
    • Bit driver with assortment of bits, could replace not having a Torx or Allen set.
  • Wrenches, combo open/box end
  • Allen Wrench set, basic metric sizes
  • Hammer, any or all listed below
    • Claw
    • Ball peen
    • Dead blow
    • Baby/small sledge hammer
  • Pliers
    • Linesman
    • Needle Nose
    • Slip Lock, large
    • Vice Grips
  • Wire cutters
  • Wire Stripper/Crimper
  • Cheater bar, pipe to fit over breaker bar
  • Pry bar
  • Tape measure
  • Reamer (to enlarge hole sizes)
  • Gloves, heavy work type
  • Bottle jack accessories
  • C-Clamp (size ??)
  • Multimeter maybe with thermistor (and extra batteries)
  • Valve stem tool (removing valve stem cores)
  • Drill set, small basic sizes for drilling metal
  • Ratchet straps
  • Multimeter
  • ??
Power/air tools:
  • Air drill
  • Air angle cutter/grinder and extra wheels
  • Air ratchet (great for tight places when you can't swing a manual ratchet)
  • Air impact wrench (?? maybe not)
  • Air sawzall and blades
  • Air hammer
  • ??
Replacement Parts (not for the tool bag):
  • Belts
    • Serpentine
    • Accessory
  • Hoses
    • Lower water
    • Upper water
  • Lug nuts??
  • Extra common metric screws and nuts
  • Tire repair kit
  • Fuses, various sizes
  • Wire crimping connections: butt, ring, spade, 3-way
  • 10, 12, 14 gauge electrical wire say ~6'-10' long
  • Valve stem cores and caps
  • ??
Some necessary materials (not for tool bag):
  • Bailing wire. Not very strong but good for use on items that get hot, e.g. mufflers, things close to the exhaust under the hood, etc.
  • Duct tape, e.g. Gorilla Tape or whatever your favorite is.
  • Electrical tape
  • Cable ties (zip ties), long and strong, reusable if possible
  • WD40 or equal
  • Hose clamps, various sizes
  • Towels, e.g. rags, blue paper shop towels, micro fiber cloths, toilet paper, wet wipes
  • Fast setting JB Weld
  • Permatex Gasket Maker (Gasketing – Gasket Makers - https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/gasket-makers/?locale=en_us )
  • ??
Any other categories??

I will try to edit this post as people respond with additional items.
I know this is a very incomplete list, but I just banged this out to get it started.
The biggest question is what are the essential sockets needed on our rigs? I know we don't need to carry an entire Crsftsman 1500 tool Mechanics tool chest. So just how little can we get away with and still be able to self service most issues on the trail, excluding broken axles, cracked heads, blown diff's?
Question and comment:
I do not see anything about snap ring pliers in this thread. Is there any application on the GX 460 for snap ring pliers?
I carry Tyvek painter's coveralls in case I need to lay in the mud or snow. A small tarp could also be used.

Question and comment:
I do not see anything about snap ring pliers in this thread. Is there any application on the GX 460 for snap ring pliers?
I carry Tyvek painter's coveralls in case I need to lay in the mud or snow. A small tarp could also be used.
Just added them. In the medical device industry, sometimes we call those Tyvek suits "bunny" suits. :D

I just got an OBD II bluetooth code reader mostly to monitor my ATF, but I imagine it will be helpful if I get a CEL.

I keep a pack of these in my rig, reusable cable (zip) ties:
Amazon product ASIN B00YARJ14A
Great being able to lash something down and then remove it without always having to cut your cable ties.
Use them over and over, and never run out!

I didn't see first aid kit, specifically a real trauma kit since injuries can be larger with vehicles.
Water, bring it,
I saw blankets, space blanket, wool beenie, for the unavoidable overnight.
Dry snacks and something for fire.

Might add tubing for a siphon. But man, the list is getting long.

A good idea is every time you work on the vehicle, place the tools you use into a bag. Each new job may need another small item, but if you separate them then over time you'll realize just what you need instead of bringing an entire set of sockets and wrenches of different sizes.

My go to junkyard bag has mostly regular sockets in 3/8" with a 1/2 drive ratchet with 3/8 adaptor. I do have a small 3/8 in it but for most things the 1/2 does it all and I always have the option to run the larger 1/2 and 3/8 sizes. One set of wrenches, non ratcheting. They are smaller than ratcheting and fit better everywhere,

I didn't see first aid kit, specifically a real trauma kit since injuries can be larger with vehicles.
Water, bring it,
I saw blankets, space blanket, wool beenie, for the unavoidable overnight.
Dry snacks and something for fire.

Might add tubing for a siphon. But man, the list is getting long.

A good idea is every time you work on the vehicle, place the tools you use into a bag. Each new job may need another small item, but if you separate them then over time you'll realize just what you need instead of bringing an entire set of sockets and wrenches of different sizes.

My go to junkyard bag has mostly regular sockets in 3/8" with a 1/2 drive ratchet with 3/8 adaptor. I do have a small 3/8 in it but for most things the 1/2 does it all and I always have the option to run the larger 1/2 and 3/8 sizes. One set of wrenches, non ratcheting. They are smaller than ratcheting and fit better everywhere,
Great point! I'll add it to the list.
I have two IFAK's (Army for Individual First Aid Kit) on my rear quarter MOLLE panels.
I find I use Neosporin, band-aids and Ibuprofen the most. But I do have trauma applications too.

Just added a First Aid section with what I think should be carried along.
Feel free to comment and/or give suggestions to add!

Not sure if starter fluid and a ratchet strap are added but super helpful to reseat a bead
Good call! Although I imagine the starter fluid would work more for the first gen Toyota pickups and 4Runners that don't have fuel injection.

Good call! Although I imagine the starter fluid would work more for the first gen Toyota pickups and 4Runners that don't have fuel injection.
He's talking about using the starter fluid to re-seat a tire bead. You can skip forward in the video to about the 1:15 mark.

Last edited:
Ahhh! I've seen that trick before, but I thought it was lighter fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom