Uh oh... broke a bolt... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Busted the bolt head right off of the x-member where one would bolt on their sliders on a 97 (passenger side)... and I can't get this out using a bolt-out bit I've got...need more power... these are the same outrigger design as George's...so whomever is familiar will know what I mean... any who... should I drill the hell of it out & rethread (if possible) ... or is there a heavier duty removal drill piece for this??? just asking before I maybe just let a body shop get it out... I'll try to get picks up of how they look, but everytime I try to post, they come up too big...even when I resize.... and I'm not that PC saavy... Thanks y'all...

I'm guessing that if you were cranking hard enough to break the bolt head off, it was either all the way in and way over-torqued, or the threads are cross-threaded. Either way, your threads are probably not ideal. Even if you get the bolt out and the threads look ok, I might chase them out to clean it up a bit.

If there is enough bolt left exposed to work with, you might take a small Dremel cut-off wheel and cut a flathead screwdriver notch in the bolt. I've had limited success doing that before. Of course, I've also broken off what little remained of the bolt doing that too, so maybe not the best advice. :doh:

C6H12O6 said:
If there is enough bolt left exposed to work with, you might take a small Dremel cut-off wheel and cut a flathead screwdriver notch in the bolt. I've had limited success doing that before.

I 2nd the Dremel idea. Had a similiar situation and used my Dremal to cut a notch in the bolt, wasn't the easiest way to do it but it worked.

Last edited:
ok...

Thanks... I hope I can have enough torque to do so...

Texus, if you can cut a small notch in it using a Dremel tool, then get yourself a manual impact wrench w/ a screwdriver bit, I think this would be your best bet for getting it out.

Also, soak the thing w/ PB Blaster or equivalent penetrating lube. If there is a nearby hole in the frame you might be able to soak the topside of it as well.

Ary

coo

thanks y'all will don the impact thang...didn't think of dat...well, hope I can get it in dere...

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Texus, if you can cut a small notch in it using a Dremel tool, then get yourself a manual impact wrench w/ a screwdriver bit, I think this would be your best bet for getting it out.
Also, soak the thing w/ PB Blaster or equivalent penetrating lube. If there is a nearby hole in the frame you might be able to soak the topside of it as well.
Ary

Are you talking about an impact driver that you hit with a hammer? That is what I would try.

Heat first. Acetylene torch would be best. I have had the best results with frozen fasteners by first using heat. I'm just guessing with the cruiser being in PA that rust may be a factor. If this is true, heat is your friend.

heat...

oh yeah...would always heat somethin like this... suprisingly... rust is not an issue for me here in PA (in know others have issues)...unless one has never taken care of the underside after winter drivin'... I have minimal and That is where pieces have been scratched. & whatnot.. other than that...pretty damn clean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom