Ugly Exhaust Pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wxm

Threads
While I was rinsing off the salt under the truck the past weekend, I have noticed nasty look of my 96 LX exhaust pipes - very rusty between the front and rear, and so is the rear to the back of the pipe. (pictures below). The truck has 92K on the clock. It drives very smoothly, no code or anything. So I want to consult your expert opinion - Is that something I should worry about now, or I can just leave it alone. Again, the truck drives fine, and of course there is a possibility of me breaking something assuming these bolts maybe too rusty to be removed. :whoops:
IMG_2023.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg

Mine looks about like that. I wouldn't worry about it until holes appear.

yep just wait till you hear funny noises

Looks about right. IMHO don't worry about it.

Only thing I would say is that sooner or later, and I think one bolt from the front cat is already gone, that the bolts will break off, like they did on mine recently, giving you a very unpleasant, and very loud exhaust.

Won't cost anymore to fix later though. I would not pay more then $50 to have all the bolts replaced and the doughnut gaskets on the cats. I think there are nine bolts total.

Thanks guys.

Won't cost anymore to fix later though. I would not pay more then $50 to have all the bolts replaced and the doughnut gaskets on the cats. I think there are nine bolts total.

Do you buy any chance remember what kind of bolts are they? I may not replace them now, but at least get the bolts ready for the inevitable.

You should be able to break them off when the time comes, hit the hardware store and quickly find what you need.

Sorry I actually paid to have it done. Which is quite rare for me. But it's exhaust work and the last time I replaced an intermediate pipe on my Civic, which should have taken maybe two hours tops, I was at it almost all day drilling out broken bolts from the cat.

If you can, I'd just pay a shop to do it, but call them ahead and tell them what you have, and if they start quoting you hundreds of dollars call another shop. It's a super simple job for someone who has a torch handy, and a s***ty all-day job for a guy who would have to go to the hardware store, drill out broken bolts, then a quick trip to the emergency room after you get some rust in your eye, et cetera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom