Builds Ugly Duckling Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SteveNJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Just realized I never actually started a build thread, had one for my HG but not much else.
So here goes:
1997 FZJ80 just over 110,000 miles (had 98,000ish at purchase).
Bought in June 2013 from a no longer active mudder. Had it remote inspected, including oil analysis and discovered HG on the way out. Got the truck for less than advertised :grinpimp:

It had a lot of issues both inside and out. Here is what it looked like when PO first bought it:

fj80011.jpg fj80006.jpg

Nice and pretty.
Here is what it looked like when I bought it....not nearly as pretty:

selling the cruiser 027.JPG
selling the cruiser 042.JPG
selling the cruiser 043.JPG

Yes, he painted the half the interior with a black leather paint. BTW it didn't work out so well. :doh:

So I bought it and immediately had to do the HG. (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/headgasket-job-started.749230/)

During this time I did:
All the gaskets/ seals as part of the HG job
New plugs/belts etc
Manifold to tail pipe exhaust replacement
PHH
Finished deleting rear heater. I think this caused the HG, not all the hoses were right so it had to be blowing coolant.

To be continued cause I can't put more pictures in this post..............

Last edited:
So I finished the work above in time for the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic.
Then I took a wrong turn and tried to be a boat:
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

2013 wheeling ended without any major issues, though I didn't push too hard, was still open/open and hadn't really dug into the truck.

Winter of 2013-2014 saw the truck once again under torn apart in the garage.
Added:
New 12k winch
Complete 3rds from Just Differentials with 4.88s and Front and rear ARBs
The big ARB double compressor
ARB fridge slide
New rear Blue Sea fuse panel

Compressor and Fridge slide mounted into 3/4 plywood before mounting into truck (using the 3rd row seat holes):

IMG_0586[1].JPG

Also took care of the wheels and tires:
IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

During the down time also did:
full front and rear axle service
Replaced the rusted up ebrake parts
all new stainless brake lines and some new rubber ones too
replaces some brake hardlines
new LSPV
4inch Ironman lift
MetalTech caster correction plates
Front/rear adjustable panhards
Upper and lower rear arms
Rear sway bar drops
Slee drag link
new calipers/pads in all 4 corners

Last edited:

Is that some sort of Bedliner on the body? What is the color called? Looks tough.

It is LineX Pro in Black

It is LineX Pro in Black
It's my understanding that all Linex products must be sprayed on by one of there dealers. Has anyone heard of or used the Linex Body Armor product? (also dealer applied)

It's my understanding that all Linex products must be sprayed on by one of there dealers. Has anyone heard of or used the Linex Body Armor product? (also dealer applied)

Yeah, this one was done at a shop in PA somewhere. Never heard of the body armor.

The Body Armor coating is available in more colors. Nice no doubt but probably spendy. What did you coat your rims with?

They were blasted and powder coated with a hammer tone finish

They look real nice. I would like to do mine but the paint will get beaten off by the rocks on the trails we run here in northern CA. Then they would just look stupid.

They look real nice. I would like to do mine but the paint will get beaten off by the rocks on the trails we run here in northern CA. Then they would just look stupid.

I've got 2 sets of them, one with street tires (Duratracs) and the other for wheeling. I've beaten up the outer edges but for the most part they are still good on the wheeling set. Little bit of touch up now and then if I feel like it.

Finally have almost gathered the whole new (to me) interior. Replaced all 4 door panels already
Found a new (old) shifter console, waiting on my center console to come in.
Decided to go with a LX450 interior, mainly because they seem easier to find than an FZJ80 part out.

Also deleted the rear heater (lines were full of holes, part of what caused the overheat that caused the HG to go, I think)
Old carpet out, you can see the Dynamat and Dynaliner everywhere here:

IMG_0657.JPG

New (to me carpet in)
IMG_0658.JPG

The cargo area is still all in black. I'm not sure if I'll change it, I'd have to pull the whole plywood mount for the fridge and compressor plus all the wiring for the fuse block back there etc.

I figure for now if I don't see it, it won't bother me :p

Last on the list is what to do with the seats. Changing out the leather doesn't seem like it'll happen with all the issues Metric has and Lseat I think only has the interior for LX450s (I think the seats are slightly different.
I may just switch out the black Wet Okoles with a 2 color set, brown inside, black outside or something.

Before and after of the B Pillar plastic. If anyone needs to know: KleenStrip Aircraft paint remover for flexible plastic, works great. I can also pretty much guarantee it contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer :smokin:

IMG_0659.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom