Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While we're waiting for it to arrive in Utah, here's a little BMW E28 pron for you all. I've def learned a ton about working on cars since I started this thread in 2006.

This is Minerva. It is a 1985 BMW 528i (Euro) that I'm building from a bare chassis. Into it is going an S54 motor (from a 2006 M3) and 6-speed. Painted Porsche Arrow Blue....

33972090328_902d5bc354_b.jpg

33972091408_dc12db23aa_b.jpg

40882560743_2849728363_b.jpg

This is the red car (Vlad) from the posts above, it's now in Utah as my daily driver there:
30479064837_7828d0e079_b.jpg

Uglina and Vlad are going to get along very well, me thinks...

She's here!

I had a hell day. Started with landing SLC and my phone blowing up with text messages that my car (Q7), which I'd parked in the work parking lot over the weekend, had a smashed passenger window. I was able to get a glass guy lined up and by 2pm it was all repaired.

Then I had an all-day meeting at work that was intense. The transport guy called and texted me at 5pm saying "I'm here". I had a dinner at 7pm. I was able to get to my apartment from work, take possession of the rig, and drive to dinner. I showed it off to all my co-workers, many of whom are hard core car guys.

Impressions:

- Drives exactly as it did when I sold it 7 years ago... steering may be a bit looser. Starts easily, pulls hard. Shifts well. Everything feels buttoned up. I don't recall it stalling as much when re-started after cooling for a bit.
- Def has more patina, but it's nice soft patina. The rust bubbles that were JUST starting on the passenger door have broken through and are real rust now. Paint needs to be waxed. But besides that she looks great!
- Dash lights are inop. Shift knob is looser.
- All the parts that went with her, are now back with her: Brand new AATLASX seat vinyl set, half-doors, bimini, etc... Plus some new parts like a steering wheel center!

Jack, if you read this and are willing some questions:

- Did you have any transmission work done? Seems the gear shift knob is further forward than before.
- Did you put a new floor mat in? I don't recall doing so, but this one seems so new.
- Where'd that steering wheel hub come from? Why didn't you install it?

Starting my to-do list:
  1. Title and plates for UT.
  2. High-altitude tune - She still has the original carb that came on her when I bought her. If you have followed along you know that I also bought a Chenowth rebuilt carb that I never put it. I plan on taking it to a shop in the SLC area (suggestions? @cruiserdan?) and having them advise on best course of action.
  3. Get AC fixed.
  4. Finally fix the wiper washers. I should have done it before I sold it to Jack. He obviously never drove in the rain.
  5. Look at the steering looseness - Tons of play on-center.
  6. Install new seat upholstery
  7. Refurb steering wheel (that crack/split in the hub has always bugged me and has gotten worse; Jack apparently sourced a replacement but didn't install).
  8. I have a 'new' audio deck with bluetooth I may swap in.
  9. Take off the hard top and put on half doors for summer (challenge is figuring out where to store the top).
  10. Put that other bumper back on and get a winch.
My ability to wrench myself here in Utah is severely limited (apartment) and will remain so for at least a year. So most of this will be done by a shop here.

Last edited:
Fun going through all the crap I bought but never put on. For some reason I purchased two sets of stickers & plates...

This is really the tip of the iceburg...

Did my first 'fix' tonight.
  1. Fix dash lights (switch is going bad; a cleaning helped but I'm going to replace it, if I can find a new one?!?!).
  2. Plug in hard-top dome light (which I, apparently, never plugged in when I put the hard top on last; the wire was still zip-tied to the sun visor post).
  3. Title and plates for UT.
  4. High-altitude tune - She still has the original carb that came on her when I bought her. If you have followed along you know that I also bought a Chenowth rebuilt carb that I never put it. I plan on taking it to a shop in the SLC area (suggestions? @cruiserdan?) and having them advise on best course of action.
  5. Get AC fixed.
  6. Finally fix the wiper washers. I should have done it before I sold it to Jack. He obviously never drove in the rain.
  7. Look at the steering looseness - Tons of play on-center.
  8. Install new seat upholstery
  9. Refurb steering wheel (that crack/split in the hub has always bugged me and has gotten worse; Jack apparently sourced a replacement but didn't install).
  10. I have a 'new' audio deck with bluetooth I may swap in.
  11. Take off the hard top and put on half doors for summer (challenge is figuring out where to store the top).
  12. Put that other bumper back on and get a winch.

Gave Uglina a wax yesterday. I used Mothers Cleaner Wax. If I were in Washington with all my detailing tools I'd have used a better paintwork cleanser, claybar, and my go-to wax (One Grand Blitz), but here in Utah and the Apartment my choices are limited. I suspect Jack hadn't waxed the rig in the past 7 years. Regardless I got a fair amount of oxidation up. She shines up nicely and is looks GREAT at 10 feet (before she looked great at 20 feet). At least now she's better protected from the elements.

I also setup an appointment with a local shop to get a high-altitude tune (and to address the fact she stalls at idle when hot). Also to get the AC fixed.

I really hope I can find somewhere to store the top, because I'm itching to take it off!

Went to the auto parts store yesterday to get some supplies to fix the rust bubble that's forming on the passenger door.

Made a friend. '83 that's been owned by "Kenny" since '95.

Fun seeing all the upgrades that happened post '78...

Gave Uglina a wax yesterday. I used Mothers Cleaner Wax. If I were in Washington with all my detailing tools I'd have used a better paintwork cleanser, claybar, and my go-to wax (One Grand Blitz), but here in Utah and the Apartment my choices are limited. I suspect Jack hadn't waxed the rig in the past 7 years. Regardless I got a fair amount of oxidation up. She shines up nicely and is looks GREAT at 10 feet (before she looked great at 20 feet). At least now she's better protected from the elements.

I also setup an appointment with a local shop to get a high-altitude tune (and to address the fact she stalls at idle when hot). Also to get the AC fixed.

I really hope I can find somewhere to store the top, because I'm itching to take it off!
Very nice looking 40. I'm restoring a 78. I work right in that same area these photos were taken. I hope to see it around town..

Very nice looking 40. I'm restoring a 78. I work right in that same area these photos were taken. I hope to see it around town..

Flag me down if you see me! Always willing to shoot the sh*t about these rigs. Do you have a thread going for your rig?

Flag me down if you see me! Always willing to shoot the sh*t about these rigs. Do you have a thread going for your rig?
I didn't do a build thread.. Thought about it. I'm in a 1000 pieces right now. I'm getting the frame back from powder coating this week. Maybe I'll start from the frame up..

What shop did you find here in Utah?

Picked her up from Legend 4x4 today. Nick took care of installing the new seat covers I bought from @aatlasx about 10 years ago. We put all new foam in too. They look and feel great. Drove around a bunch in the Salt Lake heat and was disappointed to find that I still have a stalling issue at idle when hot. I'll be calling State Automotive tomorrow to have them look at it again.

My son is coming to visit Utah this weekend and we're going to do some light wheeling. Can't wait.

Charlie,

Sorry, I didn't seem to get a notice that you had posted to this thread again until today. To answer your questions above:
No transmission work was done while I had Uglina.
The floor mat is the same one that came to me.
I just never got around to doing the steering wheel hub install - at this point, I don't remember where I got it.
I replaced a tie rod in March, and the steering is much better than it was. I am not sure how much the steering feel had deterioriated before that though.
I was a bad owner - she was kept clean and not driven in the rain, but I never waxed her.

Great to see the dash lights working better and the interior lights working.

The stalling problem after a hot start seemed to be minimized by using premium gas (less ethanol). Also, for a couple minutes after a hot start, I'd use a little choke, until the fuel line had cooled enough that no more fuel was vaporizing in the line. After that, she'd run fine. Hope you are able to find a prettier fix.

I know now to check this thread regularly.

Glad things are going well with her.

Jack

I met up with TexanFJ40 it was fun comparing our two rides. I seem to recall the carb cooling fan was disconnected. Not sure if that’s still the case but if the cooling fan is still not working that could be causing a vapor lock when hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom