Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be kicking myself for years for passing on this fine example, yet excited that you'll be a member and using MUD resource. It's got to be exciting to be able to follow and document its purchase and able to give it its new home.

Congratulations.

Shane

Uglina has arrived!

She arrived yesterday morning. Picture shows her in her new home, before unloading the spares that came with the car. Started and ran great. A real head turner People were taking pictures of the car when I got gas. Hard to keep a low profile in this ride. I couldn't be happier unless TEQ was closer for consultation.:) More to follow.
2013-01-27 10.19.36.jpg

She arrived yesterday morning. Picture shows her in her new home, before unloading the spares that came with the car. Started and ran great. A real head turner People were taking pictures of the car when I got gas. Hard to keep a low profile in this ride. I couldn't be happier unless TEQ was closer for consultation.:) More to follow.

Is that a TX TEQ license plate?

SouthBostonFJ said:
Is that a TX TEQ license plate?

Nah, that's the plate that was on it in Washington.

TexanFJ40,

Did it sneer at the FJC when you pulled it in the garage? :)

Great build up thread, mine was pretty close to stock all over except for the Man a Fre Safari 4" reverse shackle lift. Also a '78 Freeborn Red and desmogged.

Sweet ride!
Thanks, Mickey. She is still running great. About the only thing I have done besides tune ups and oil changes is rebuild the speaker boxes in back and fix the ambu door latch that wasn't working as well as I wanted it to. I drive it to work about once a week. The car has been stone reliable - no doubt because of the work that TEQ did in rebuilding a lot of the mechanicals. It still turns a lot of heads.

Hi all.

I still miss Uglina. I've been trying to get ahold of the guy who bought it from me but he's apparently fallen off the face of the earth.

I've been enjoying the past few years focused on E28 BMWs. I now own two of them. Vlad is an Zinnoberrot 1987 535is that my son and I built a new engine for. Vlad's my daily driver. I've done tons to it, including E34 sport seats. Right now it's undergoing a euro bumper conversion.

9811485354_1f282b5975_b.jpg

The other is Maytag, a Alpine White 1987 528e. I bought it as a stand-in while Vlad was getting the engine transplant. Since then Maytag has been improved greatly getting a 5-speed swap (it was an auto) as well as a new interior. I'm doing almost all the work myself on these cars... what I learned fixing up Uglina gave me the confidence to go much deeper.

16949207939_9de040d813_b.jpg

Someday I'll own an FJ40 again. Maybe I'll buy Uglina back if I can ever get ahold of the guy who bought it. For now, I hope everyone here is well...this forum was a big part of my life for 6-7 years and you folks were great to me.

Cheers!

TEQ, love your beemers, I too have been obsessed with them since I was a teenager. Post more pics please.:beer:

TEQ, I didn't mean to hide from everyone. We moved from the burbs to some acreage north of Houston about two years ago and the outdoor projects have kept me from doing much to Uglina except drive her. I have kept her tuned with fresh fluids, repaired the ambu door latch, and rebuilt the boxes for the radio speakers. I have driven her weekly in nice weather, and she still runs like a champ. Thanks for trying to hunt me down - when we moved, I lost the old email address. I will pm you my new contact info. BTW, your project BMW's look great!

TEQ, I didn't mean to hide from everyone. We moved from the burbs to some acreage north of Houston about two years ago and the outdoor projects have kept me from doing much to Uglina except drive her. I have kept her tuned with fresh fluids, repaired the ambu door latch, and rebuilt the boxes for the radio speakers. I have driven her weekly in nice weather, and she still runs like a champ. Thanks for trying to hunt me down - when we moved, I lost the old email address. I will pm you my new contact info. BTW, your project BMW's look great!

Awesome! Glad to hear you are well and that Uglina is too.

Post more pics please.

Ok :)

In the middle of converting the red car to euro bumpers. Here's some progress photos:

Old (US) rear panel coming off:

"New" euro frame rail ends/tow hooks test fit. I'm using new OE parts for almost everything, but these guys are NLA and can only be found on scrapped euro cars.
17394258008_3c163e83ce_z.jpg

New euro rear panel on:
17841811641_7299c811e8_z.jpg

Test fit of the new front bumper and valence (taken this afternoon):
17841805631_2ba3b09acd_z.jpg

Discovered this cleaning up the hood in prep for paint. Ugh!
17656855988_108d6b1810_z.jpg

Last summer:

The M30B35 high-compression motor my son & I built:

Tons more in my build thread here:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=115049

White car's story here:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=121687

Well, well, well....

6 years later (today):

Uglina is coming home!

Well, sorta as home as far as she's concerned is Sandy, UT, where I now work.

She should arrive Monday and I can't wait to have her back.

I had the great pleasure of supplying the temporary (6 years) home for Uglina. I bought her from TEQ and he bought her back from me. It is great knowing that she went back to an member of the forums with a super build thread. There is no doubt that she is in great hands (again). In six years, besides oil changes and initial tuneup, I only replaced the front calipers, replaced the leaf spring & shackle bushings, replaced the RF axle seals & hub gaskets, and repaired a leak in the rear heater. Other than those few items, the car ran like a top for its weekly outings. TEQ did a great job putting her together. I look forward to seeing the further adventures of Uglina.

Damn, makes me happy and not even mine. Hated to see it go : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom