UCAs - suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm on a FB Tundra group where it seem every day there is a moog LBJ posting about a failure. I put them on my Tundra probably 7 years back with no issues at all. Someone mentioned the company was sold a few years back is the quality has gone in the crapper, but I did not confirm.

how long have the original ones lasted?
chances of any aftermarket lasting half that long in the stock application are nill
I've considered that also...past few years I've been REALLY disappointed with the lack of quality/longevity of replacement parts in general. Which is why I try to buy severe duty aftermarket parts when it makes sense(suspension/brakes/overall performance enhancement).

I just took my own advice and bought the UCAs from IMPEX in Japan along with the TREs and a few special service tools and replacement weatherstripping that has some sun damage.

Soon I'll be ordering LCAs as part of my front-end refurb.

I think Toyota makes some that will fit.

I’ve seen some threads about some other manufacturers but if you’re not gonna lift, just go OEM, right?
Will OEM UCAs hold to a 2" lift? Was about to delete my AHC on the 2006 LC100 due to corrosion and replacing with Foam Cell Pros, was thinking of going OEM since I really not go rock crawling mostly long dirt roads and the horrible roads of Boston.

Will OEM UCAs hold to a 2" lift? Was about to delete my AHC on the 2006 LC100 due to corrosion and replacing with Foam Cell Pros, was thinking of going OEM since I really not go rock crawling mostly long dirt roads and the horrible roads of Boston.

I’d argue ‘Why bother with a 2” lift, for long dirt roads, and Boston potholes?’.

You’re just taking away droop (from the front suspension especially) and in doing so making the vehicle ride worse over washboard roads and potholes…

Yes, the OEM will work, but I agree with @jLB - Why a 2” lift for nothing that stock form couldn’t handle with ease?

Reactions: jLB
I’d argue ‘Why bother with a 2” lift, for long dirt roads, and Boston potholes?’.

You’re just taking away droop (from the front suspension especially) and in doing so making the vehicle ride worse over washboard roads and potholes…
JlB: thank you for the advice!

Reactions: jLB
JlB: thank you for the advice!
Just an honest opinion from someone with 3x 100 series in the driveway. One with ~1” lift, another with ~1.5-2” lift, and a third with 2.5-3” lift, all with (expensive) aftermarket extended shocks, and three different brands of aftermarket UCAs (to maximize droop). Take a wild guess which one rides the best, and is my DD.

@JunkCrzr89 and I tend to disagree on the value of aftermarket UCAs and aftermarket shocks, but I think that we agree that an IFS UZJ100 “lift” is generally overrated (and bourbon doesn’t have to be expensive to be good). It doesn’t really allow for larger tires, it just changes the resting point of the suspension, and it is really all based on the rear coil spring height.

My personal observation, from the vehicles in my driveway , is that as “lift” increases, ride quality decreases, and trying to compensate for that, gets expensive, with diminishing returns. Then again, I’m not looking for Instagram likes 😁

Last edited:
@JunkCrzr89 and I tend to disagree on the value of aftermarket UCAs and aftermarket shocks, but I think that we agree that an IFS UZJ100 “lift” is generally overrated (and bourbon doesn’t have to be expensive to be good)
I think I love you.

Just an honest opinion from someone with 3x 100 series in the driveway. One with ~1” lift, another with ~1.5-2” lift, and a third with 2.5-3” lift, all with (expensive) aftermarket extended shocks, and three different brands of aftermarket UCAs (to maximize droop). Take a wild guess which one rides the best, and is my DD.

@JunkCrzr89 and I tend to disagree on the value of aftermarket UCAs and aftermarket shocks, but I think that we agree that an IFS UZJ100 “lift” is generally overrated (and bourbon doesn’t have to be expensive to be good). It doesn’t really allow for larger tires, it just changes the resting point of the suspension, and it is really all based on the rear coil spring height.

My personal observation, from the vehicles in my driveway , is that as “lift” increases, ride quality decreases, and trying to compensate for that, gets expensive, with diminishing returns. Then again, I’m not looking for Instagram likes 😁
Thank for the reply! lol I have decided to go no lift. Ordered all the parts to swap the AHC to OEM. Also some bushings are being replaced. Getting her fresh!

I'm doing a full front end rebuild on my '98 soon, and I'm leaning toward the nitro UCA+icon stage 1 long travel combo kit as a best compromise between lift and ride. For the money, I can't seem to find a better option. Normally, Icon would be 3-4 on my list, and I never even knew nitro made a 100 series UCA. Anyone on here running the nitro UCA or this combo? Very curious to get some input before I pull the trigger on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom