UCAs - most serviceable, least likely to squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are your thoughts on the most serviceable and least likely to squeak upper control arms?

I won’t be doing an extreme lift or wheeling at the limit. I’m most concerned with longevity and maintaining OEM-like performance/ease of use.

I’m leaning towards Dobinsons because of the 555 ball joints and rubber bushings.

I had ordered a set of Nitro UCAs for a great price in October but they still haven’t shown up despite being marked as in stock when I ordered them.

my spc's squeek like a mofo on both the 1 and 2oo. Only in winter, when cold [ az cold, so like 50 ] I even drilled / zerk'ed them on the bushing and provide green grease, but they creak. It's what they do, even following install instructions to the letter. Folks will say otherwise, but I'm skeptical when they say they have no noise.

my spc's squeek like a mofo on both the 1 and 2oo. Only in winter, when cold [ az cold, so like 50 ] I even drilled / zerk'ed them on the bushing and provide green grease, but they creak. It's what they do, even following install instructions to the letter. Folks will say otherwise, but I'm skeptical when they say they have no noise.
I have over 60k miles on SPCs. No squeaks.

^^^ go get a lottery ticket at once or several.
Fwiw I’ve had the same result as @Bisho; got nearly 60k inching up on 7 years on my SPC uppers and still good. The pre 2015/16 SPC arms had some ball joint issues but once they redesigned them it’s been a pretty darn good product.

Proper installation is critical to a long lasting result- that is torque settings, the correct silicone lube, etc. Never had a squeak, or twisted bushing, never had the ball joint come loose from its camber setting.

I guess I'll buy a lotto ticket too because mine don't squeak after many miles. I also installed them so the inner bushings aren't distorted.... all caster adjustment happens at the balljoint. I can see the balljoint getting misaligned after a hard hit (negative camber). I torque mine to 175 ft-lbs. But if a problem, you can take measures to eliminate.

well shiit, guess i'm odd man out on two installs. is what it is. functionally good, but they creak.

I’ve got (previous gen) SPC, (previous gen) Nitro, and Trail Tailor. I’ve used Super Lube grease on the bushings of all of these, and never had a squeaking issue.

If you’re not off roading, don’t have excessive lift, looking for longevity, and looking for rubber bushings, why not OE Toyota/Lexus?

I’ve got (previous gen) SPC, (previous gen) Nitro, and Trail Tailor. I’ve used Super Lube grease on the bushings of all of these, and never had a squeaking issue.

If you’re not off roading, don’t have excessive lift, looking for longevity, and looking for rubber bushings, why not OE Toyota/Lexus?
I need to re-index the torsion bars (they’re currently cranked) to level (slight rake) and I think at the point I’ll be at 2 inches.

Maybe I’ll just do the diff drop?

Agree with @jLB OEM arms are good to just upto 2”- durable and long lasting, the don’t interfere with the shock at full droop even up to 2”of lift.

What you will loose with OEM is some range of caster by 1.5-2degrees but (from avg of 2 deg to 0 deg or slightly above)- if you max the adjusting bolts you might get close to 1deg +\~. Low or negative caster setting will feel light steering and minimal return to center, more caster just the opposite. With OEM UCAs as you lift the front, you loose some ball joint articulation- but if you aren’t crawling technical terrain, just running forrest or shelf roads- argument can be made for OEM.

I won’t be doing an extreme lift

I need to re-index the torsion bars (they’re currently cranked) to level (slight rake) and I think at the point I’ll be at 2 inches.

On an IFS 100 series, 2” (changing from stock 19.5” to 21.5” center of hub to fender, in front) of lift, could be considered “on the ragged edge of reason”. 😂

At 2+”, I’d probably lean towards Dobinsons (which I believe is a rebranded RoadSafe).

Last edited:
I'm a non-squeaker SPC user too!

Poly suspension components that squeak weren’t set up correctly. (Unless your driving a lifted jeep)

I’ve never had an issue with SPC making any noise either. Plus SPC is by far the easiest to service. You can change a BJ in the field in less than 15 minutes. No press needed. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom