Events/Trails UC Over the Mountain Tour (OTMT) 2019 - 8/22-25 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those that are coming from a different way and don’t want to backtrack we will be pulling into Gorges State Park around 2.
Gorges State Park Visitor Center
976 Grassy Ridge Rd, Sapphire, NC 28774
(828) 966-9099

When you get there just go Down the road to the bottom parking lot and wait for us.
So by "bottom parking lot", A, B or C?
GSP-map.JPG

So where do I need to be on Friday night ?

sounds like fun, Things will be different around here next year, I should be there.

Weather update still holds highest chance of rain is during the day when we will most likely be driving. Camp should be rain free but consider that the ground will be wet. Saturday looks fantastic at the top. NOBODY WEAR YOUR SHIRT EARLY AND JINX IT!
1566304877135.png

More info for first timers:
Thursday's access road to camp is described briefly from an online source as, "No Rav4's or other such 4x4 wannabe's. You must have 8" of clearance or you will be paying a hefty tow bill to drag your stupid self and what's left of your vehicle out of there." Dang @jvalex :oops:. The road in can be rough in patches, though the recommended use of 4lo is primarily for descent control to preserve your brakes. The only spot that I recall where wheels have spun was graded last year, but I personally have not been back since. Nice drive through the woods so enjoy it.

Saturday - Please give this video a like. I found the first version yesterday when looking for something about the area. It had just been posted and was very descriptive about the location (name and even grid coordinates). I commented about the potential abuse to the area and crowding concerns expecting the typical internet response. Instead he replied that he agreed, pulled the original video, then reposted this. Deserves at least a thumbs up.

Yeah I was out anyway, so no worries. I am trying to get lost on a river somewhere else in the state. Brain needs reprieve.

I do technically have that clearance but zero interest in testing anything when I'm already stressed to the max. Y'all either let drunken beer fairy ride shotgun or fairy flies elsewhere. ;)

Also I'll be gone Thursday Friday Saturday from the brewery so the beer thing gets complicated. If anyone will be nearby Wednesday, I can do it - otherwise, sorry. :(

I did but I just can't do it. Work has been crazy, my ex has been a dick, life is taking its toll. I'm gonna go do self care weekend. I love y'all.

Also that subproject43 YT'er did a nice video of Carolina Beach - same location in which Low Country hosted a Low Country Boil back in yonder days. And I'd love to know where in N. GA this one was shot.

And I'd love to know where in N. GA this one was shot.
From comments: "This is a private road near Blue Ridge. It is beautiful up there!" Looks like Dick's Creek area, which was shut down last year due to damage from crowding.

What radio frequency will we be on?

I’m pretty sure Rob and I have decided to go and camp tomorrow night at the first spot to make sure we have it secured. Who is planning on meeting us at ingles thursday at 1pm?
If no one is meeting me there I won’t come back and we can meet a gorges state park. I’m okay with whatever. Also if you want to join us tomorrow night let me know. Also know the park locks the gate at 9pm. I’ve had a long week already and just need to get out in the woods.

I’m pretty sure Rob and I have decided to go and camp tomorrow night at the first spot to make sure we have it secured. Who is planning on meeting us at ingles thursday at 1pm?
If no one is meeting me there I won’t come back and we can meet a gorges state park. I’m okay with whatever. Also if you want to join us tomorrow night let me know. Also know the park locks the gate at 9pm. I’ve had a long week already and just need to get out in the woods.
I can meet you guys tomorrow, what time and where? I'll be done moving my daughter in at USC by 2:00 and can head on up.

I will be at the Ingles rally point tomorrow at the designated time. From there we will make our way to Gorges and pick up anyone that may be waiting at the south parking lot to drive into camp.

Last weather post. Rain chances are scattered and typical for summer pop-up showers. No long soaks forecast.
1566389020591.png

Somebody tried on their shirt. Weather at elevation has changed to be more normal for the location. Still light but expected. Pack accordingly and it will be an enjoyable trip.
1566389523778.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom