ubolt flip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60wag

SILVER Star
Threads
Is the Manafre 4+ kit the only ubolt flip hardware available for SUA FJ60s? I need to replace my front shims and ubolts. With a set of 4 new bolts being close to $40, 150$ for the whole setup doesn't seem that expensive. Anyone else out there making a similar setup? TIA

MAF is the only one that I'm aware of at the moment.....but what do I know? ;)

-db-

I didn't find anything else when I did my homework on this but it was over a year ago so something else might have popped up on the market.

The MAF kit plates are so beefy it's like comparing apples to oranges when comparing to traditional u-bolt plates.

Very, *very*, happy with the MAF 4+ U-Bolt Flip.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Cahil

I went with the MAF setup front and rear and it seemed kinda expensive but I think you get what you paid for with the flip kit. They are very heavy duty and fit well.I am happy with them and glad I did it. The SOR ones from what I remember seeing are small and not as heavy duty. Don't think you are going to find a better kit.

Godwin said:
SOR u-bolt skidplates may distort once the u-bolts are torqued down well. Had a set and pulled them off once I noticed the distortion. I also had a little trouble keeping the rear shock pins tight.

I tried to install a set of these just this weekend. They distorted so badly that I was never able to get to the FSM recommended 90 ft lbs on the u-bolts. SOR was great about issuing an RA, and will credit me for shipping both ways as well. Great customer service on their part, but a lousy product.

Note though that there is an "extreme duty" version. Much thicker steel. But, at $100 (plus the cost of u-bolts) you might as well pop for a few extra bucks and buy the 4+ flip kit from MAF - clearly the most bomber set-up available.

Did this recently on my Fj55, very beefy, very clean. Yup, lots of money, well worth it in this case.

Nial

My S$R skid plate (installed by PO) broke off at the shock mount!!! :doh:
Not sure how old it is, but it was somewhat rusted (the rest of the truck is not).

Go with Man-A-Fre.

:cheers:

Bruce,
I really like what the MAF flip kits do for adding clearance but they could be improved, IMO. The shock mounts stick out more than I think they should and the shocks don't mount very cleanly, either. The top plate will bend - see pic. Still, I'd do it again and recommend them.

Last edited:
overhanger said:
Bruce,
I really like what the MAF flip kits do for adding clearance but they could be improved, IMO. The shock mounts stick out more than I think they should and the shocks don't mount very cleanly, either. The top plate will bend - see pic. Still, I'd do it again and recommend them.
Wow, Steve, how'd you get those huge plates to bend? I put 110 ft-lbs on mine with no distortion.

One word of advice - figure on getting shorter shocks as part of the cost - the U-flip raises the lower mounts a good bit above stock.

Still, you'll get almost an inch more clearance at the spring pack, which is a good thing.

Cruisergreg said:
Wow, Steve, how'd you get those huge plates to bend? I put 110 ft-lbs on mine with no distortion.

Yeah I am surprise to see them distort that much. I really torqued mine down too with no bending.

Cruisergreg said:

Beats me. These were torqued to 90 lbs when the pic was taken last fall after they had been on the truck for a full wheeling season. Wrote MAF and they replied it was the first time they had ever heard of that and that they should still be fine. They don't appear to have changed since then and are on the front axle with OME mediums. The rears, with OME heavies, are fine. Weird.

overhanger said:
Beats me. These were torqued to 90 lbs when the pic was taken last fall after they had been on the truck for a full wheeling season. Wrote MAF and they replied it was the first time they had ever heard of that and that they should still be fine. They don't appear to have changed since then and are on the front axle with OME mediums. The rears, with OME heavies, are fine. Weird.

Over Hanger ... those plates should be replaced ... IMO. Something is not right. Either the metal is defective (not tempered correctly) or something else is going on but it's clear those bent plates are not kosher. 90 ft/lbs is no where near enough pressure to bend that thick metal if the plate was correctly machined and tempered.

See if MAF will send you replacement top plates.

Cheers,
Cahil

I have to agree but it was in an email conversation with a MAF rep, I think it was Steve-O, that I was told that it was okay to keep running them and replacement wasn't necessary, nor were they offered. Does the pictured install look like yours?

Another thumbs up from me on the 4+ units. And no bending on mine, torqued toi 100lbs...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

overhanger said:
I have to agree but it was in an email conversation with a MAF rep, I think it was Steve-O, that I was told that it was okay to keep running them and replacement wasn't necessary, nor were they offered. Does the pictured install look like yours?

how much lbs of torque you put on them when you installed . ?

Tapage said:
how much lbs of torque you put on them when you installed . ?

90 ft/lbs by hand with accurate torque wrench, not impact wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom