Wanted Uber-early 40 and 25 FHT doors with pull window hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
Cross-posting from the general parts section:

I'm in the same boat ... I just bought a 1962 FST that has the pull window doors. The doors and in great shape, BUT the windows and hardware are missing. The truck is pretty complete overall, but I definitely need these window parts. I'm not very optimistic at this point, but here's hoping! Good luck!

Well… I DID get one piece on loan from @tahoe40/45 and sent it off to @thecrazygreek to see what he thought about reproducing them since he’s the only one with the know-how and cruiser passion to pull it off. Not sure yet what the verdict is, it’s a pretty challenging part actually. But he got the data all into CAD so at least we have that documented. How much demand for those might there be? If we only needed a couple sets, might be hard to justify his time (if they’re even doable). If a lot of people need them, it might make for a better case. Angelo, what were your thoughts on making that part?

0C7ABAD9-78D8-4551-B2EC-DB3BF4DE9DBF.png

1DB35795-D99A-4F72-B9BE-E22463F8D9ED.png

CB9D413F-EC63-4A97-B559-42A6B0260BF9.png

4E8AF2CC-FB68-4756-AFAD-CBB350F1DB25.png

CA369484-B57C-42FB-9927-2912ECC0EDDC.png

Hey there ! @scoobiedubes
Thanks for the kind words...

I'm thinking of prototyping this in 1/3rd scale with 3D printed parts. I have an ABS resin that can handle the wear and tear. That will allow me to refine things if I was going to build a full scale version.

If I do move forward with this, most parts would be done in CNC. And aluminum where possible.

As far as being financially worthwhile, I'm looking at other opportunities where this might be an option for a window where there is none. (Think half doors) 🤔 If you could mod a half door with this (or similar version) and use plexiglass I think some people might be interested.

Anyway, if I do move forward with this I'll let you all know!

Well… I DID get one piece on loan from @tahoe40/45 and sent it off to @thecrazygreek to see what he thought about reproducing them since he’s the only one with the know-how and cruiser passion to pull it off. Not sure yet what the verdict is, it’s a pretty challenging part actually. But he got the data all into CAD so at least we have that documented. How much demand for those might there be? If we only needed a couple sets, might be hard to justify his time (if they’re even doable). If a lot of people need them, it might make for a better case. Angelo, what were your thoughts on making that part?

View attachment 2871560

View attachment 2871561

View attachment 2871562

View attachment 2871563

View attachment 2871564

Wow, this looks VERY interesting! I'm not sure how big the market might be, but I'm definitely interested in supporting the effort to the extent that I'm able. I'm sure that even finding used parts at this point will be super expensive, so I'd be willing to invest some $ to get these made to the extent that I'm able. There's seriously not much missing from this truck, but these are definitely absentee. Heck, I've never even SEEN this type of hard door in person before! The doors are very nice otherwise, and I want to use them for sure! So, I'd love to see this move forward. PM me if I can help, etc.

Hey there ! @scoobiedubes
Thanks for the kind words...

I'm thinking of prototyping this in 1/3rd scale with 3D printed parts. I have an ABS resin that can handle the wear and tear. That will allow me to refine things if I was going to build a full scale version.

If I do move forward with this, most parts would be done in CNC. And aluminum where possible.

As far as being financially worthwhile, I'm looking at other opportunities where this might be an option for a window where there is none. (Think half doors) 🤔 If you could mod a half door with this (or similar version) and use plexiglass I think some people might be interested.

Anyway, if I do move forward with this I'll let you all know!
Interesting idea, I don't think I understood what you meant before but I do now - if you can lump the demand for these with half-doors maybe more could be produced? I'm not sure how many people want half door windows, or how many have these early FHT doors either for that matter. I could post a "gauging interest" post in the classifieds if you want? Maybe even with a poll to see what people were willing to pay so we could get an idea to see if it was worthwhile. But I know you've got a lot of other irons in the fire so if you don't want me to I completely understand!

Interesting idea, I don't think I understood what you meant before but I do now - if you can lump the demand for these with half-doors maybe more could be produced? I'm not sure how many people want half door windows, or how many have these early FHT doors either for that matter. I could post a "gauging interest" post in the classifieds if you want? Maybe even with a poll to see what people were willing to pay so we could get an idea to see if it was worthwhile. But I know you've got a lot of other irons in the fire so if you don't want me to I completely understand!
Sure! Why not?!

Alrighty, posted it - will see what kind of interest there is. Now I gotta figure out how to post a poll...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom