U.S. Steel Wheels from Summit Racing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm interested in getting some aftermarket wheels for my FJ40 and have been reading the numerous posts. Seems like Summit Racing is a good place to go (as opposed to 4WParts) to order the wheels with the proper 3.5" backspacing. One thing I'm not so clear about is the finish of the wheels when they are special ordered. Is it "raw" or are they painted/chromed, etc? If they come raw, what is a good estimate of the cost to powdercoat them?

Mike

I just bought my wheels from Summit a couple weeks ago--so it's kinda fresh in my memory. If you're only getting 3.5" backspacing, it will not be a custom order (and be sure not to say the word "custom" while you're on the phone placing you're order :slap: ) I talked directly with a rep from U.S. Wheel twice now and each time they said that they can go as much as 3.0" (or was it 3.25") backspacing without needing to reverse the wheel outer (and thus becoming custom). If the Summit operator gives you s***, hang up and call back and talk to some one else, or demand that they get a US Wheel rep on the phone with ya. BTW, the Summit rep I talked with was super cool and petty much knew what he was doing. Anyway as to the finish of the wheel, if you don't get "custom" ones, they should come painted (black or white or whatever for whatever series you order). But, if indeed you order them with small amounts of backspacing and the outer needs reversed, and thus becoming custom, then they will come unpainted or "raw" (mine are sittin' in my shed in this condition as we speak). And as for a good estimate for getting them powder coated, if you have a Les Schwab Tire around, they told me they do it for $22 per wheel. I didn't wan to pay that, so I checked some local powder coat businesses and I got $20 per wheel... Needless to say, I ain't gonna pay that price when I can just rust-o-leum them for $4 a can and it shouldn't take more than 4 cans I think...

-Ferg-

Thanks for your response... Good to know that the 3.5" backspacing isn't considered "custom". Wonder why they don't list it on Summit's website... Anyway, thanks again!

Does anyone know if these wheels will fit ove disk brakes in the rear (el dorado calipers)? I know with the stock wheels it is pretty tight.

I wondered the same thing about why they weren't listed on Summit's website...never bothered to ask though either...

As to whether or not the 3.5" works with disc brakes, I'm not sure, but I bet if you searched the LCML Archives you could find the answer in there...

-Ferg-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom