U-POL Tintable Raptor Lining Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all this is sort of a work in progress but I just shot the underside of my tub (and soon to be inside) with the U-POL tintable raptor lining.

First off I got the product (4 liters and a shutz gun) for $100 shipped off some obscure online website - arrived in two days. The urethane basecoat i got from TCP global as a match to 653 Olive Green. It was around $75 shipped for a quart. so a total of $275 to bedline the inside and outside of my rig to match the body color

I can't give any feedback on how well it will hold up as I just sprayed the bottom last week but I thought I would start this thread and build upon it.

My only question from the whole experience is how the hell to mix everything properly.. I ended up with a lot of activator left over...

here are the directions
http://www.u-pol.com/countries/en/downloads/tds/raptor tint.pdf

"FILL hardener to level A (see diagram above) of the bottle (this equates to 250ml of System 20 Hardener).
Add basecoat tinter to level B indicated in the diagram above (this equates to 10% of basecoat tinter by volume).
Replace cap"

I took this to mean a total of 250 ml of activator and 100 ml of color... that didn't fit in the bottle though.. so i ended up just doing it visually.. activator to the first indent in the bottle then color up to almost the top so I could shake the bottle. Anyone have any ideas about this? (a tech guy for U-POL said i'd be okay with using less activator it just might take more time to dry than the 6 hours it normally takes) ..I don't know what he meant by dry it was dry to the touch in 2 hours and could be handled by 6 and I had almost a third of the bottle of activator left over (youre supposed to use it all)

IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
first step was prep.. which everyone always says is key.. i had a coat of primer on it already.. but had some patches that needed priming.. I also seam sealed EVERTHING... so here is before.. after seam sealer and epoxy primer.

taped everything off with generic blue painters tape from home depot.. used that same tape to twist and put in all threaded holes

Last edited:
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG
to shoot i used 60 psi.. i have a 16 gallon husky compressor for homedepot and it did just fine. I also too my tiny regulator and water trap and hooked them up to the gun.

so all you have to do is mix.. shake.. and shoot.. it really is that simple...

if you want two thick coats for the underside all the way up to the firewall I would get an extra bottle or two (they are $20 each) 4 liters got me to do one coat then the underside of the tranny hump and then pretty much i went around and hit where I wanted it to be a little thicker and where I had missed the first go around. Overall the position the tub in was good but I still missed a few spots where the gun couldn't get to.. I used a brush to get in some more spots but I still missed some.. (after you are done with each bottle you can usually pour a little that is left into a cup to use with a brush

granted it was only a few days when i did a comparison but my friends rhino liner in his bed of his pickup looks and feels a little tougher than the raptor lining.. but it also costs 8x as much..

Last edited:
I started to pull my tape up after the second coat had dried for about an hour. Used pliers to pull all the tape out of the threads.

I just taped behind large holes (like grommets or steering wheel hole or heater blower hole) then peeled the tape off afterwards.. no issues.

Nice work Anthony...looks great. I'm currently looking for a good solution for the underside of the troopy tub.

Couple questions:
- Does the Raptor liner feel hard or soft once cured?
- How thick did you apply it?
- Is it similar to Hurculiner or Rhino liner?

Thanks

don't know about hurculiner but it was kind of like rhino lining... my friends pretty beat up rhino liner seemed to have more of a smooth finish.. but then again that could be because it was my first time doing something like this.

The truck is out for paint right now so honestly I don't know what it is like when it is full cured. I will let you know when I do get it back. As far as thickness I could only do 1.5 coats... I would get 6 bottles to do a 40 underside from rear sill to top of firewall.

I'll give you an update when i get the truck back.. it might be a while

Its been a while now....any updates?

I saw the stuff at an auto show last summer and was pretty impressed with it. Looked much better than Herculiner and the other DIY products I've seen. Not quite on par with Rhino or Line-X, but pretty damn close. No idea on prolonged use, but for the cost difference I'm willing to give it a try.

Going to pick some up this spring to work with. Best price on it that I've found is at TP Tools - but it is cheaper to buy the whole kits (with gun) than the individual bottles. Particularly when a bottle of the hardener is enough for four (or more, according to antFJ) bottles of the base.

I've used U-pol on the interior of 2 Landcruisers (one was tintable and was just black) and love it. Depending on how you shoot it, you can get different texture. The main differences I see is that you have to buy more than 1 Upol kit (2-3 kits) to get the thickness of Rhino or Linex, and Upol isn't quite as 'rubberized' as the big name brands. At the Rhino/Linex shops, they shoot a lot more product onto the rig than comes in 1 kit of Upol.

At the Rhino/Linex shops, they shoot a lot more product onto the rig than comes in 1 kit of Upol.

That's a very valid point. I was really impressed with the display that I saw last summer, but I have no idea how many coats they put onto it. That's definitely a question I'm going to ask them when I buy it.

I just bought the tintable kit and was wondering about the base color. It says that it has to be a urethane color base. Is the only source of this the auto paint store or can I get a can at Lowes/HD?

When I used the tintable, I got the base color from the auto paint store. But, that's also when/where I bought the UPol kit. I'm not sure about HD/Lowes paints.

I just bought the tintable kit and was wondering about the base color. It says that it has to be a urethane color base. Is the only source of this the auto paint store or can I get a can at Lowes/HD?

I hope I can get a small amount mixed up. I'd hate to buy a gallon and only use a couple of fluid ounces.

The main differences I see is that you have to buy more than 1 Upol kit (2-3 kits) to get the thickness of Rhino or Linex, and Upol isn't quite as 'rubberized' as the big name brands. At the Rhino/Linex shops, they shoot a lot more product onto the rig than comes in 1 kit of Upol.

It would take 15 to 20 gallons of any DIY bed liner to equal the thickness that can be sprayed with Rhino or Line-X

I just ordered a black kit to do my MT tube fenders with. I wanted something thinner and harder so this should do the trick.

Just a question that I haven't seen answered anywhere for you guys. I'm planning on doing the outside of my rig in this stuff, and was wondering about the roughness. I want some texture, but was hoping to have it not be abrasive. I've seen a few trucks done in Durabak and Herculiner, and it was so rough on the side that you would scrape skin off if you brushed against it. I wheeled with a dude who had his CJ done up inside and out with Armorthane and it seemed like the perfect thing. I know you can adjust the texture by how thick you can lay it on, but I'm just curious with what you guys think on the texture. Looks like some good stuff going on in this thread for sure though.

Just a question that I haven't seen answered anywhere for you guys. I'm planning on doing the outside of my rig in this stuff, and was wondering about the roughness. I want some texture, but was hoping to have it not be abrasive. I've seen a few trucks done in Durabak and Herculiner, and it was so rough on the side that you would scrape skin off if you brushed against it. I wheeled with a dude who had his CJ done up inside and out with Armorthane and it seemed like the perfect thing. I know you can adjust the texture by how thick you can lay it on, but I'm just curious with what you guys think on the texture. Looks like some good stuff going on in this thread for sure though.

The texture is not ruff. Just lay it down pretty thick using higher pressure and it will lay down pretty good. I love the texture compared to others I have seen.

The texture is not ruff. Just lay it down pretty thick using higher pressure and it will lay down pretty good. I love the texture compared to others I have seen.

Good to hear, sounds like it should be the perfect stuff. I just ordered some and it should be here early next week. Got my urethane paint to "tint" it yesterday, so I should have a much nicer looking truck here soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom