U joints vs. pinion strength (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm installing a Dana 300 in my 40, and and my head's spinning on what to do for driveshafts. I currently have 4 speed style shafts, and 79 axles with fine spline pinions. My original plan was to get some custom flanges from Tom Woods or High Angle for the T-case to mate up to the driveshafts. Now I'm starting to think I might just s***can that idea and get some domestic style junk yard shafts from a fullsize truck, since I might need a CV on the rear anyways.
So what I'm wondering is what u joint size, 1310,1330,1350, is comparable in strength to Cruiser fine spline pinions? I've been searching on the net and everything that involves 1350's is about 1/3 more expensive than 1310 or 1330. I can't really see as far as driveshafts go, paying more for 1350 stuff if the pinions are only so strong. What do you guys think?

Depends on which end you want to let go first. I would rather have the pinion end 'splode rather than the TC output end. It can become a polevault. So, I would use the weaker u joint on the pinion end. Just the opposite on the front.

JMO

Ed

I would use toyota stuff. Stronger than 1310 and more angularity..

Jesse at Highangle among others has D300 Toy flanges..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom