1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U-joint and SST question for a 62

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Sorry Dog, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Sorry Dog

Sorry Dog

I'm going to replace both rear U-joints in my 62 in the week (I'm chasing some highway speed vibrations) but the Toyota manual show using a SST-09332-25010 to push the bearing cap in (I assume ?) and to push the new ones in. Do I really need this or is it an accepted backyard method to pound (or hammer drill on chipping mode :D) out the old ones and in the new ones.

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    no need to a SST, you can pound them in but I prefer using a vice to press them on. ALso use the hamer or vice to press the old caps off, use a socket that is the same(or close) diameter as the cap, put it between the vice and cap........and press......the other side will come off, repete....

make sure when putting the U-joint together that the new zirt in it goes in the right postion, you want it to be under compression when turning, not spining with presure againt the zirt(that doesn make sense does it?). Just look at the old ones 1st and put it back like that...assuming they are correct

when putting the caps on the spider gear, make SURE the needle bearings stay on the sides of the cap and are not getting smashed at the back of the cap. The Toyota joints come with nice blue greese holding them in, but still take time to make sure they don't buggered up.

use a hamer and screw driver to take off old C clip.

also before you start mark the 2 halfs of the shafts so they go back in-phase

I feel that I am forgeting something?

I know I don;'t like the hamer method.....smashed my hand real bad last time ;)

3. Sorry Dog

Sorry Dog

Thanks.

I am starting to feel the need for a hydraulic press but I always end up having to move my shop setup every year or two. Maybe I'll settle down one of the days :beer:

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    bench vice works just fine :)

[quote author=Sorry Dog link=board=1;threadid=12649;start=msg116275#msg116275 date=1078586509]
    Thanks.

I am starting to feel the need for a hydraulic press but I always end up having to move my shop setup every year or two. Maybe I'll settle down one of the days :beer:
    [/quote]