u-haul won't reant trailer to tow a 40 w/an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to rent a trailer to tow my 40 from New Braunfels to Brownsville,Tx

Uhaul says that the 94 FZJ80 doing the towing it's not allowed to tow because not enought weight on to pull the trailer w/ the 40 on it

What class of hitch does the 80 comes with? ours has a U-haul sticker on it?

Is it class 3/ 5000lbs?

how can I do it? my 40 it's not in good conditions to drive 5 1/2 hrs. I have not driven it for 6 months?

I know there was a post before on this one

I need help!

You can rent a truck and a trailer.

Or you can tell them it's a Toyota truck. They have a listing for Toyota truck that can be towed by an 80.

I would not recommend the latter, especially if they ask specifically if it's a pick up truck. Then you would have to outright lie and might be in big troble in case of an accident.

you can lie, or truck and trailer. the 80 probally has class 3 5000lb hitch. that is the "standard" hitch. u-haul sells hitches for the 80that are class 2 or 3

Why don't you get a tow dolly instead of a trailer and just remove the rear driveshaft on your 40. This is how I brought mine back, but I only drove for about 100 miles.

Those U-Haul trailers are sketchy. I rented one locally once and was not impressed that it was well maintained.

I did a little search for you...at Uhaul, using a Ford f250 to haul a '75 FJ40 from Zip 78130 to Zip 78520 on a car trailer cost $350 for the rental. DAS auto shippers will handle the whole thing for you using their drivers and equipment for $350, up to 750 miles. Sounds like an easy decision to me.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/ShortMileageMove.aspx

That's weird. I just towed a 4,400 lb gross weight 6x12 uhaul trailer with my 80. What are you talking about here? 3,000 lbs of FJ40 and maybe 750 lbs of car carrying trailer?

That's well below the rated tow capacity of an 80. Heck, they'll let you tow that 6x12 as long as the tow vehicle is at least 3,500 lbs, and you've got a ton on that.

Any time you get something stupid in customer service try another person (maybe call u-haul's 800 # first).

Nay

3000 for an FJ40??? Are you sure, I thought they were heavier.

Uhaul has changed something in their computer within the last couple of years.
Using their online reservation system I trailered my 40 about once a year starting in 99. In 2005 I tried to rent using the same set up and it kicked it back as not an acceptable combination.

Not that it helps much, just adding to the info pool.
CAS

I remember having the same problem when I rented a trailer to tow my 25 with my 80. I don't remember how it was resolved (6 years ago), but I drove from AZ to ID with the 25 on the trailer plus a bunch of other junk. No problems.

Towing capacity

IIRC, when I last rented a Uhaul tandem trailer, the empty trailer weight was 1475lbs. They may actually be right depending on what they have listed as the 40 weight. If you have the owners manual, you can show them the GVWR of an 80 with trailer, that should help. As listed in the manual, assuming you have a class 3 hitch (2x2 reciever), the trailer weight limit is 5000lbs and the GVWR of truck and trailer is 11525.

IIRC II, trailer liability goes with the vehicle towing it. Or, find another Uhaul store, and tell them a different story.

Scott Justusson

Gumby said:
There is no flippin way a 40 weighs 3000 pounds.

A quick ck around shows it pretty well documented that the early FJ40 was 3265 curb and the later 40/45's were 3500-4000lbs curb.

Again, if you print off documents (FJ80 towing capacity and 40 curb weight) that adds up to less than 5000lbs including whatever is stamped on the trailer as empty weight, you should be fine. Sounds like you are right there, but not over. The standard sofware Uhaul uses probably lists the highest 40 class weight (worse case scenario).

Scott Justusson

Last edited:
U-Haul car trailers are HEAVY. I heard something like 1500lbs. With a 4000lb 40 that puts you over your rated towing capacity.

Actually, a friend just rented a U-Haul car trailer to pull a Nissan P/U behind an AstroVan. They wouldn't rent it to him, so he picked up the trailer with a 4 ton flatbed, then switched the trailer to the AstroVan at home and proceeded to attempt to haul the Nissan.

U-Haul said their trailer was just under 2000 pounds. Yeah.

His AstroVan blew the engine at the top of the first long grade out of Phoenix. That's when I got involved- I drove 140 miles to pick up the trailer, him, and the Nissan, brought that home, then went back for the van. No doubt the 80 was overloaded with the Astrovan, and the Nissan was pretty close. FWIW, I felt pretty good about the whole thing, the 80 handled it well.

-Spike

book the rental on-line.

I rented a double axle flat bed tow trailer and towed a 60 behind my 80 on it's maiden voyage.

Don't tell me a 40 weighs more than a 60 either.

Well I spoke with someone from uhaul and said that I was about 20 lbs off on the 80 weight but that I would be fine. so he reserve the trailer for me to be pick up on Friday.

Bro-in law said that Penske also rents trailers & cheaper.
has anybody used Penske?

Just for different input!

I'll keep you guys post it and thanks for the info & support

Uhaul sux. I'd go with the Penske if they do turn out to be cheaper, or, why not buy a used trailer then sell it when you're done with it? You can get a decent car hauler for $800-1500 pretty easily.:)

Penske wont rent a trailer alone, you have to use one of thier trucks.

Well, After all I rented the auto transport from U-haul. made it back Sunday.
I got lost on the back roads on Friday going to Beevile,Tx & then to New Braunfels.

I lost my map, well my kids lost it ate it hid it god knows.
I had to relied on directions given by the clerks from gas Stations. It was a nighmare & a good adventure.

Nobody got hurt except for a headache that I got from dealing w/a 3year old that talks a lot & an 18 months old kid that was bore.

hard to entertain the little guy & drive.

It was fun to spend time with the family.

live & learn next deal like, this towing the 40 I'll more then likly do it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom