u-bolt flip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok i tried to search and all it came up with was spring flips and soa. im wondering if anyone knows where i can get a kit to flip the rear u-bolts on my 40. i know i can get skid plates but i want to flip the bolts.

thanks
-miles

that's the kit I have - very beefy.

Hate to say it, but I used to run the MAF 4-Plus and they were awesome. Nicely made and best SUA suspension mod I could remember at the time... Any version would probably work - so if you can say money over the 4+ cost it's probably all the same.

I'd run the ones without the built in rear shock mounts - I bent mine up something fierce. Mount some pins on the axle - I had flipped springs so I was able to just plug a spring pin into the stock hole on the spring hanger that's welded to the axle.

Hate to say it, but I used to run the MAF 4-Plus and they were awesome. Nicely made and best SUA suspension mod I could remember at the time... Any version would probably work - so if you can say money over the 4+ cost it's probably all the same.

I'd run the ones without the built in rear shock mounts - I bent mine up something fierce. Mount some pins on the axle - I had flipped springs so I was able to just plug a spring pin into the stock hole on the spring hanger that's welded to the axle.

Agreed on both counts. I made my own shock mounts by welding angle iron to the lower plates and getting the shock pins up tight, but below the axle. This helped rock clearance without outboarding the shocks too much or cutting down on travel length with shorter shocks.

Pic here: IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - U-bolt flip w/ GM plates build-up

BTW, that OK doesn't look anywhere near as pro as the MAF kit, and almost the same price. What's up with that?

Best

Mark A.

I have the MAF/4+ set with the spring pins, they are nice and beefy

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg
DSC_0091.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg

well i found the ubolts i need but does anyone have a part number for the gm top plate? or jsut a year and model they came on? the u bolts are only 15 bucks for an axle set so im happy about that. if i cant find gm i guess im gonna have to go with so fabrication.

well i found the ubolts i need but does anyone have a part number for the gm top plate? or jsut a year and model they came on? the u bolts are only 15 bucks for an axle set so im happy about that. if i cant find gm i guess im gonna have to go with so fabrication.

Pirate, posts #39 and 46

:D

i74kl1.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
do you have a part number for those u-bolts? im having trouble find anything today hah.

thanks
-miles

Pirate, posts #39 and 46

:D

i74kl1.jpg

That's my rig.

I ordered the u-bolts from Stengel Bros. The big note here is that I'm running Hell Creek Springs. These are narrower than stock, 2.5" wide I think. If you note in the pic, I still had to grind the inner corner of the spring perch. You will also need a bottom plate. I fabbed mine but I think you can buy them from Foothill Off road.

Here is more info:beer:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/145438-u-bolt-flip-w-gm-plates-build-up.html

i just ordered my u-bolts, 3" wide, i hope thats correct.. and im thinking instead of buying that gm plate ill jsut adapt the stock plate to work on top of the axle. will that work?

thanks
-miles

Last edited:
well i got my u-bolts today. 5/8". i also have a big piece of 3/8" plate to make my axle plates. i think ill jsut copy the MAF design. ill post up some pics tommorow once i get them done.

Lookin' forward to it! Thanks for sharing.....Cheers

i got them made. they aren't pretty but im not much for looks anyway, ill sacrifice beauty for the fact they cost me a grand total of $55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom