U Bolt Flip Kit Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finishing up this install and just wondering if it’s suggested to cut down the excess length on the u bolts after they’re installed.

They’re not even cause I have caster shims installed…(backwards apparently)

B8F03994-DA70-4ED9-9EA5-A7006B9482FA.jpeg

Last edited:
I snug them down as much as I can with a regular wrench and then cut them flush with the nut, and then torque them down after (always with the vehicle weight on the springs/axles) which usually results 2-3 threads past the nut.

There shouldn’t be a big difference in the u bolt length past the upper plate whether you have caster shims or not, loosen up the rear u bolt and tighten up front front one.

do you have the thick part of the shin facing backwards? Are you trying to decrease your caster??

Gosh dang it. Glad you caught that @cruisermatt I was in a rush to get everything done before a storm hit and installed them backwards. This is great cause I literally just finished putting the other side back together in the rain, came inside and looked at my phone and saw this. :(

Well got the u bolts and mounts back out. But it’s getting to dark and wet to do much else tonight. I’ll have to wake up early and finish this tomorrow. Again @cruisermatt thanks for catching that.

BC3F16FA-21C0-4E0C-AAAA-C1D44960AB43.jpeg

Got the shims in the right direction and the u bolts trimmed. Used a sawzall to do the trimming, went with @cruisermatt’s suggestion on just tighten them then trimming and then torquing them down. Could have cleaned up the cuts a bit better, but was in a time crunch to clear up driveway space for other projects.

Didn’t have time to hit everything with a coat of paint, plus it’s still wet and humid out, so I just ended up spraying some fluid film on everything.

7B268FB4-A103-4B68-A8F5-4FBCC77BC6B4.jpeg

I would. I like to put an extra, skinnier nut on and cut off the top of that, just to leave some threads and a clean cut.
That’s how all the high current terminations were done in the underground substations I used to work on
Never used spring washers as they can break and fall out.

Trimming the u-bolts also makes it easier to torque the nuts with the wheels on. You'll want to re-torque the nuts a few times. The springs will settle after some use.

That looks better trimmed up. Can you snap a pic of the shock mounted to the flip kit? Wonder if they provide any protection for the shock/bolt.
I keep forgetting to grab a pic. But the shocks are mounted higher up. They raised above the lowest point of the bottom of the mounting plate. So there’s no danger of them snagging on a rock or something.

I keep forgetting to grab a pic. But the shocks are mounted higher up. They raised above the lowest point of the bottom of the mounting plate. So there’s no danger of them snagging on a rock or something.

I have pics and measurements in my build thread, here:

- Brian

@poptart did you do the rear kit also? I just installed this flipkit today , the front ubolts look just like yours.. but the rears are looking crazy with all the threads showing. I still have to trim them down but it just seemed different with all those threads. I was getting worried i would run out of threads while tightening everythig. Did yours look similar in the rear?

Screenshot_20210619-153214_Gallery.jpg

@poptart did you do the rear kit also? I just installed this flipkit today , the front ubolts look just like yours.. but the rears are looking crazy with all the threads showing. I still have to trim them down but it just seemed different with all those threads. I was getting worried i would run out of threads while tightening everythig. Did yours look similar in the rear?

View attachment 2708610
Only did the fronts. Only reason I did them now is because I need to put the shims in and didn’t want to bother doing everything later on again.

Only did the fronts. Only reason I did them now is because I need to put the shims in and didn’t want to bother doing everything later on again.
Wish i had done this flip kit a long time ago.. when i first went to OME stuff.. been through many ubolt sets overthe years..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom