U-bolt cutting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I hope this don’t sound too awfully much like a dumb question.

:rolleyes:

I have my OME kit on and I notice that the U-bolt ends stick down pretty far. I want to cut those ends off. Cutting, as you know, makes things hot. Does heating a U-bolt damage it in any way? I guess I was thinking maybe these things are tempered or heat-treated and heating them might change something in the metal. I thought I’d cut ‘em with a sawzall right close to the nut and then clean ‘em up with a grinder.

Any thoughts? Any tips?

Thanks.

It should not be a problem. I would leave at least a half inch below the nut. After you cut it unscrew the nut to chase the threads. If you need to clean up the end of the u-bolt use a file instead of the grinder.

I hope this don’t sound too awfully much like a dumb question.

:rolleyes:

I have my OME kit on and I notice that the U-bolt ends stick down pretty far. I want to cut those ends off. Cutting, as you know, makes things hot. Does heating a U-bolt damage it in any way? I guess I was thinking maybe these things are tempered or heat-treated and heating them might change something in the metal. I thought I’d cut ‘em with a sawzall right close to the nut and then clean ‘em up with a grinder.

Any thoughts? Any tips?

Thanks.

A sawzall, port-a-band, hacksaw even an angle grinder with a cut off disc should all be fine. U bolts are actually not heat treated because they need to be kind of streatchy [sp] to absorb all the impacts the wheels are going to experience. I probably wouldn't cut them with an oxy-acetlyene torch- but that's not for fear of heat, that's just to keep it nice an clean.

Luke

I used a sawzall on mine. I dont think the heat is going to effect it. Not that hot...

As far as chasing the threads...Why bother unless you are planning to take em off. By the time they are due to come off the rust etc. will be as bad as any burrs.

Yup, angle grinder with a cutoff wheel works great, done it many times. Wear eye protection and gloves.

And I also wouldn't bother cleaning up the threads. The first time you go wheeling you will bang the stubs on all sorts of rocks anyway.

Thanks very much for the replies. I will go after them babies with a sawzall.

sawzall will take way too long. go at it with an angle grinder and cutoff disk. way faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom