U-bolt/add-a-leaf question

Hello all,

I just installed add-a-leafs on all fours corners of my FJ62 and it's an immediate, noticeable improvement in ride quality. The extra 1.5 to 2 inches of lift doesn't hurt either. It was well worth the 10 hours (yes, I am slow) to put these on myself. By far, the most difficult part was lining up the hole in the axle to the spring pin head! Once I get the original OEM shocks replaced this week it should improve even more.

After installing the front add-a-leafs, the u-bolts are a hair too short for my comfort level and I am going to replace them with longer bolts.

My question is:

When I replace the u-bolts, do I need to jack up the cruiser or remove anything other than the u-bolt itself? My plan is to support the u-bolt plate (not sure of the exact name) below the springs with a floor jack and remove and replace the bolts one side at a time with the wheels on the ground. I just want to make sure this is safe and I'm not going to break anything.

Thanks for the help.

If you replace the U-Bolts one at a time, you should be good. Since there are two U-Bolts per side, there should be one in place at all times to hold things together if you replace them one at a time. Your jack under the bottom spring plate should hold it in place. You have already had this apart for the add-a-leafs, so you know what you are doing.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star
Obviously, be careful. The u-bolts hold the full weight of the vehicle. I would jack up one end at a time and put jack stands under the frame at a height to just allow the tire to touch the ground. That will keep the truck stable level and from falling on your head!

U-bolts are not meant to be reused, so you are doing the right thing. Far better to be safe than have one fail at a bad moment.

Thanks for the replies gents. You've pointed me in the right direction.

For anyone that wants step by step instructions shoot me a PM and I'll send them your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom