Tyre squeal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, so having a bit of an issue I'm trying to diagnose... I'm experiencing front end tyre squeal when the steering wheel is at full lock from a standing start. It's almost as if one of the tyres isn't moving and is being dragged. Any help is much appreciated. I hope this is the right forum to ask

K

Are you sure it's coming from the tire? Under inflation can cause a squeal while cornering.
But air in the steering system is more common. Dirty contaminated steering fluid can also cause a squeal.

Are you sure it's coming from the tire? Under inflation can cause a squeal while cornering.
But air in the steering system is more common. Dirty contaminated steering fluid can also cause a squeal.
I assumed it was coming from the front end wheels, I did have a leak in my power steering that was recently patched...

Tyres at full lock and trying to move forward will squeal on some surfaces - especially concrete. The tyres are dragging a little on such a sharp turn, Try it on a loose dirt road, if it still squeals then it's not tyres.

cheers,
george.

^^^ Follow George's advice above to rule out tyre squeal on a firm surface.
If the squeal is still present on loose road surface, have a look at the steering fluid for low fluid level or bubbles.
Since you recently had a steering system leak, I would recommend trying to bleed air out of the system again. Simply jack up the front axle so both tyres are off the ground, then with the engine running, turn the steering wheel lock to lock many times until no squealing is heard and you don't see any bubbles or foaming in the steering reservoir. Remember, the steering system takes the same ATF fluid as the automatic transmission. Synthetic fluid helps as well.

What year 80? I‘m not sure about overseas models but on my 97 the TC had a seized viscous coupler that was like driving the the center differential lock. Lots of front wheel scrub in turns and it was really noticeable on hard surfaces.

^^^ Follow George's advice above to rule out tyre squeal on a firm surface.
If the squeal is still present on loose road surface, have a look at the steering fluid for low fluid level or bubbles.
Since you recently had a steering system leak, I would recommend trying to bleed air out of the system again. Simply jack up the front axle so both tyres are off the ground, then with the engine running, turn the steering wheel lock to lock many times until no squealing is heard and you don't see any bubbles or foaming in the steering reservoir. Remember, the steering system takes the same ATF fluid as the automatic transmission. Synthetic fluid helps as well.
Hi guys, so it turns out the sound is actually from the rear right tire, tried on a dirt road and almost sounds as if it's gripping at the surface, only when on full lock turning right, on paved roads tyre screeching is very loud even at low speed. fluid in the power steering have been checked and are fine (no visible air bubbles or debris)

Thanks

What year 80? I‘m not sure about overseas models but on my 97 the TC had a seized viscous coupler that was like driving the the center differential lock. Lots of front wheel scrub in turns and it was really noticeable on hard surfaces.

Hi guys, so it turns out the sound is actually from the rear right tire, tried on a dirt road and almost sounds as if it's gripping at the surface, only when on full lock turning right, on paved roads tyre screeching is very loud even at low speed. fluid in the power steering have been checked and are fine (no visible air bubbles or debris)

Thanks
Tire pressures also checked all at 35psi

Does it have LSD in the rear?
Do you have oversized rubber fitted?
Do you have additional wheel rim offset from zero?

Did this sound start recently or been there for how long?

Also, please provide full details of your 80, modifications, engine, transmission, etc. More info can get more accurate fault finding responses...

LSD was available in non-us 80 series, though it's generally pretty anemic, but maybe something is damaged inside. But that I would think would be noticeable on either rear wheel.

Assuming it's definitely the rear end:

Do you have disc brakes in the rear? If so, I'd be checking the inner/outer pads on both sides - on the rear the pads can shift/move around if worn down to nothing. Check the rear bearings as well, verify no rocking of the wheel vertical or horizontal.

cheers,
george.

Did this sound start recently or been there for how long?

Also, please provide full details of your 80, modifications, engine, transmission, etc. More info can get more accurate fault finding responses...

LSD was available in non-us 80 series, though it's generally pretty anemic, but maybe something is damaged inside. But that I would think would be noticeable on either rear wheel.

Assuming it's definitely the rear end:

Do you have disc brakes in the rear? If so, I'd be checking the inner/outer pads on both sides - on the rear the pads can shift/move around if worn down to nothing. Check the rear bearings as well, verify no rocking of the wheel vertical or

Hi George, stock 80 no mods, car has LSD and drum brakes in the rear I believe. I'll have someone take a look at the rear bearings as I suspect it's seizing on the rear right? sound started about a week ago.

Also check the suspension rubbers. A collapsed bush will rearrange the rear suspension geometry and might result in a scrubbing/squealing rear tyre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom