Typical 3B oil ussage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Typical 3B oil usage?

Just wanted to run a quick check.
Between burning and leaking what are most people "using" in oil between changes, say 5000 miles.

I am just a tad over a quart down at 4000+ miles. I am running Amsiol 10W40 100% syn, and I am sure the PO wasn't. I think the engine has slightly over 80,000 miles.

Tim

Last edited:
300,000km's on the clock. I went through about a quart every two fill ups before I replaced a couple gaskets, now I don't use any. Gaskets replaced were exhaust manifold gasket, and left side (standing in front of truck) engine/valves/whatever it is cover plate gasket. Exhaust manifold gasket appeared to be the main one.
Yours sounds young... (rebuild I assume)... are there drips where you park?

When I haven't done something retarded, like plug my breather, I don't use any. Or at least not enough to notice.

Exhaust manifold gasket appeared to be the main one.
Sorry, I might be having a brain cramp, but what does a leaking exhaust manifold gasket have to do with losing engine oil?...:confused:

hey

200 and change on the clock as best i know and i usually gain a bit on the stick between changes and i do them at less than 3k. she is a dirty dirty girl at 500 km in on new oil.

Erm... you gain oil between changes?? Just a shot in the dark here, but im going to guess what you are gaining isnt oil... doh.
Mines got 420K and burns none. Course I change the oil when I feel like it, which is fairly rare.
G

Mine's two less than a three bee (a B engine) and it's done 240,000kms.

I change the oil every 7000km (or yearly - whichever comes sooner) but it is overdue for a change now (too busy). I can't remember the last time I had to top it up between oil changes - so it uses negligible oil.

:cheers:

Hey. The revamped site means I have to select "black type" to see it on a white background. I bet I won't see it when I hit "submit" cos then it will be dumped on a black background again! --- Let's see

Last edited:
i don't like what I am hearing....er....reading......

well, you kinda knew this is what we were going to say. no engine is designed to chow on a quart in 4000 miles...

i don't like what I am hearing....er....reading......

OK. Probably my last post was misleading (-- perhaps deliberately too - since most of us like to portray our vehicles as being in top condition) Tim.

My oil level doesn't stay constant between oil changes. If I'm about to change it after 7000km and haven't topped it up since the last oil change, the dipstick certainly wouldn't be showing full. And it could well take close to a litre to get it up to the full mark (if I were to do so).

And I think a litre is approximately a quart.

So my oil consumption sounds pretty similar to your quart in 4000+ miles (if my conversion calculations are correct).

Feel better now?:D

I don't think your oil use is cause for concern (any more than mine is).

:cheers:

BillieJean, try adding some moly and see if it helps. Moly is quite amazing. When I bought my Bj60 I added some. My mileage kept edging up the more I drove it. When I let the previous owner take her for a drive, he was amazed at how peppy it was.
Some reading I have done has indicated that it can plate, and marginally fill vertical scoring on cylinder walls. Just remember it doesn't work instantly, this all took place over about 2 months of continuous use. The biggest difference I noticed was with dry starts during this last winter. The engine turned over dramatically faster, even faster than previous trucks I owned when I did their battery cables.

No doubt some folks here will down play this as snake oil... but Ive used snake oil, this stuff is better.

Cheers
G

Product Menu

Last edited:
BillieJean, try adding some moly and see if it helps. Moly is quite amazing. When I bought my Bj60 I added some. My mileage kept edging up the more I drove it. When I let the previous owner take her for a drive, he was amazed at how peppy it was.
Some reading I have done has indicated that it can plate, and marginally fill vertical scoring on cylinder walls. Just remember it doesn't work instantly, this all took place over about 2 months of continuous use.

Interesting. If snake oil works, then I figure you might as well use it.:D Anybody else have similar results using this Moly stuff?

Of course my engine is not a 3B but it is the same old tech diesel design. I seem to be down about 500 ml to 1 L after 5,000 kms. It doesn't seem to move on the dip stick until I hit near 4,000 kms and then it seems to drop.

This past winter I used 0-40 synthetic and went through nearly a liter in 4,000 kms.:eek: Since changing oil in the beginning of Feb I have put on about 2,500 kms and the oil level has not budged.

Anyways, I am not too worried. The old girl has lost of pep and doesn't feel tired at all. I can live with adding a bit of oil between changes if that is my worst problem.

My 3b has 300000km's on the clock, and when I change my oil I always put it right at the top of the hash marks on the dip stick, and it's usually at about half 5000 to 7000km's later... I ocasionally see a few drips from the front of the engine on the ground, which is from the main seal...

Honestly, if you are concerned, get a mechnical oil pressure gauge, and as long as it isn't wrecking a nice driveway,or bothering you with big puddles, no worries man, alot of these old girls leave a few drips on the driveway

When i had mine, i changed it whenever i was down a liter of oil so about every 3 -4 months, no idea on the mileage i did, For you BC people, Drove around Vancouver, to Whistler, up to Kamloops every other weekend. Had 320K on it before i sold it. Never had a major problems. I did redo the Radiator and had the starter rebuilt. it never leaked oil either that i can remember.

Last edited:
My BJ 60 definitely leaks some oil with 360,00km on the clock. I do roughly 8000 km between changes (running dino 15-40) and don't have to add between changes. On my HDJ81 I run approx. the same mileage between changes (but I run Amsoil) and despite the truck not leaking a drop,by oil change time the oil line is in the bottom third of the OK area. The HDJ-81 is powerful, smooth, and quiet so I can't see anything wrong with her. There does seems to be quite a few stories like canucksafari's and mine suggesting that synthetic does seem to get "used" a bit more than dino. Before I changed to syn on the 81 I ran a few dino changes on her and I didn't use a drop between them. If you're concerned, why don't you try changing to "dino" for one change and see if consumption goes down. Cheers, Tony

Just wanted to run a quick check.
Between burning and leaking what are most people "using" in oil between changes, say 5000 miles.

I am just a tad over a quart down at 4000+ miles. I am running Amsiol 10W40 100% syn, and I am sure the PO wasn't. I think the engine has slightly over 80,000 miles.

Tim

For a start I would not use syn oil in these motors to begin with.

Syn oil gets thinner as it gets hot and these motors especially the 2H it can cause low oil pressure or falling oil pressure at speed (I have tested this and experienced the problem)

I use a good mineral oil with not much detergents in it as detergent causes to many oil leaks also.

With the new ultra low sulphur diesel now available you find the oil holds up better now.

I have no oil leaks and burn no oil.

Thats my $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom