Type of U-Joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to replace the front drive shaft U-Joint that goes into the front differential and I am being told by the parts guy that there are 2 types of U-joints for the 1997 LX450 ...so how can I determine the accurate one.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Thanks beno - I am only going to replace the one in the front that goes to the diff.

Is this going to be an issue if I only do one of them???

The reason I am doing this is that I am getting a front noise even after the outer and inner bearings were replaced on the DS and serviced (repack only) on the PS and after a close inspection of the U-Joint I noticed that the spider is not holding the grease I pump into it as it is oozing it out from the bottom of one the bearings….I already have the Spider Kit you referenced on the shelf and I was wondering if I have to replace the sleeve yoke as well?

It won't be a problem, but personally, I would replace both, have the shaft balanced and know that you are in good shape for another 100K miles.

Thanks Beno - I am also being told that Toyota have 2 kinds of sleeve yokes...any idea how I can detemine that as well...or is there a toyota universal sleeve yoke that I should go with like the spider??

It's normal for a u-joint to ooze grease past the seal when you grease it, by the way. That grease is under a lot of pressure when you pump it in. Just because the seal has failed, doesn't mean the u-joint is bad.

Thanks Birfmark - But I am also still getting a groaning noise type with a slight vibrations as soon as I hit 40 Miles/Hour and stays with me at all speeds thereafter, so the only logical thing that I have not touched or ever changed since new is the U-joint (over 125K on the ODO now)

Keep in mind that I do service all U-joints regularly at every oil change (5K Miles Intervals)...and since I noticed the grease ooze from the spider I declared it failing and the source of the noise I am having.

If you have any thoughts or places to look please share with me …Thanks

Thanks Beno - I am also being told that Toyota have 2 kinds of sleeve yokes...any idea how I can detemine that as well...or is there a toyota universal sleeve yoke that I should go with like the spider??

There is a difference between front and rear driveshafts/ujoints: rear's are bigger, thus requiring a different yoke.

For the front, you just need the part number I posted above, and any reputable drive shaft shop can swap them out, balance your shaft.

That's really all you need to have done.

hey Al, I'm out on ST disability and if you wanted to drive up we could look at it and I have the OEM joints in the garage if need be.

I'll need another couple of weeks to re-coup a little and you would need to do all the wrenching.

Thanks Beno - So I will work on replacing the spider only at this point. Why throw parts at it and I would rather save the $150 if the part is not broken.

Hey Rick - I hope you are doing well and I am sorry to hear that you are on Short Term Disability. Considering all the work load you have been doing for the last few months it was forth coming as it is really exhausting and eventually we also humans tend to break down at some point.....

I will work on replacing the spider here in my garage and if the freaking noise persist then I might give you a shout.

Please take care of your self and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Al.

Thanks beno - I am only going to replace the one in the front that goes to the diff.

Is this going to be an issue if I only do one of them???

The reason I am doing this is that I am getting a front noise even after the outer and inner bearings were replaced on the DS and serviced (repack only) on the PS and after a close inspection of the U-Joint I noticed that the spider is not holding the grease I pump into it as it is oozing it out from the bottom of one the bearings….I already have the Spider Kit you referenced on the shelf and I was wondering if I have to replace the sleeve yoke as well?

I have no problem with replacing just one. Have done that tons of times, including my front shaft, one of the joints was messed up from the factory. If they are properly greased, they are very durable, some possibly lasting the life of the rig.

As long as you match mark everything and reassemble in the exact same orientation as it came apart, I see no need to balance. Simply replacing a u-joint with another of the same isn't going to signifacantly change the balance.

It's common for the grease to not come out all of the seals, depending on angle, load, etc. Not something that I would worry about. I look for joints that bind or have play, as signs that they need replacement.

Thanks Tools - I think the groan noise I am hearing is coming from the front passenger side...Also I noticed the rig wonders on the highway to the left a bit….oddly enough I had serviced the bearings 2 weeks ago on this side (Only Repack) and replaced the outer and inner on the driver sides as the noise was more pronounced and not to mention the outer bearing race was scored which was courtesy of the Lexus dealer botched install some 30K miles ago.

It appears that when the tech was pressing the race he accidently missed the edge and scored the race very significantly…he might have been using something other than a brass round punch and it looks like the edge of a screw driver that caused it if you ask me…so instead of replacing the race with a new one he decided to keep going which caused the high pitched wine from the driver side only within in the last month or so as at the beginning it was faint and I chalked that to new bearing getting set in their position.

I will go in again and replace the bearings and the races on the PS and that should address the noise. As for the vibrations I am almost 100% sure it is a U-Joint related and once I get the spider replaced the same way you stated then I should be OK.

I was searching and reading about the U-Joint replacement and like you stated if you mark everything properly then I should not worry about balancing the drive shaft...this is of course assuming that it goes back the same way it came out.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom