TYPE of lube in tcase ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this might sound retarted, but

I just rebuilt my 77 tcase. I have a 700 r4 and a AA adapter mated to the 77 case in my cruiser.

I know that you are suppose to run gear lube in the tcase, but could you run Dextron III?

The only reason I ask, Is I had a blazer that had a 700r4 and a 208, 205 whatever it was and I could of swore it had dextron III in it instead of gear lube. Why I don't know and my cheby buddy swore it was suppose to have the dextron III instead of the gear lube

Only reason I am thinking of this is if the sealed bearing would go out in the adapter, possibility of gearlube getting into the tranny and wrecking it. Just trying to reduce future headaches, or I am potentially creating one for myself?

Most late model trannies and t cases are designed to run on dexron III. But that t-cases was designed to run on 90 wt. I would stay with 90 wt.

THe NP can be run on dextron, my dad runs it in his NP208 on his Power Wagon. I run Amesoil 90wt synthetic in my FJ40, Frt/RR Axle, tranny, and the t-case. Worth the money..!!!!

later

Ryan

PabloCruise said:
Maybe the 205 is a chain drive unit? Not sure...

205- Gear drive, 80W90 gear oil

208- Chain drive, ATF

Land Cruiser one piece gear driven case, and split cases all use gear oil, and NOT atf.

Good luck!

-Steve

New transfer cases are designed with neadle bearings, and if they ran 90w in them, the bearings would fry. They use dexron III cause its a liter weight oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom