TX 68 FJ40 Three Speed oil seal question please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trippster

SILVER Star
Threads
I just added oil for the first time in seven years to transmission and transfer case. I noticed leak coming from Extension housing oil seal. There was no leak 7 years ago!

My question: can this seal be replaced while Trans and transfer case is mounted to vehicle? Or will I need to pull T/T and then replace?

It hasn’t leaked in the last 5 hours?????

Thanks to you all!!!

Ben, 7 year frame off, getting close to making motor noises!!!

B6266F0A-3E37-4EF4-BE0B-7478BEA70F6C.png

AAE50CB3-71DD-404C-A6A3-6E8748D3BC06.jpeg

664BF50F-7685-482A-B228-AFF5A9128333.jpeg

You can change it in the vehicle. Parking brake assembly has to come off. You can pull the parking brake drum and see if there’s a groove where the seal rides. If not, could’ve just been a little dry and had a seep out. New seal is available at Toyota and is now a double lip.

You can change it in the vehicle. Parking brake assembly has to come off. You can pull the parking brake drum and see if there’s a groove where the seal rides. If not, could’ve just been a little dry and had a seep out. New seal is available at Toyota and is now a

You do not need to pulled the parking brake to change the front output sesl.

Yes Sir, I already changed the seal behind brake assembly with double groove. I wish I would have replaced the front when I had it on the bench!

Disregard everything I said in relation to this thread. I looked at that diagram and for some reason was thinking rear.

That’s okay I appreciate you! The question still remains…..can I change the front seal, I’m guessing I will need a puller??

Yes, you can change the front seal without pulling the transfer case.

Method #1:
Drain the gear oil from the transfer case, or flood your garage floor with gear oil.
Drop the front driveshaft, remove the cotter pin and castle nut, and pull out 25 and 26 from your diagram. To remove the existing seal, you'll have to pry it out, or use an oil seal puller, or use a chisel to cave it in to the center of the opening to get it out. I would put a thin coat on the outside edge of the replacement seal with FIPG. Don't forget to put multipurpose grease on the lip of the seal before re-assembling 25 and 26.

Method #2:

You can actually remove the front extension housing as a unit, disassemble the guts of the housing and remove the seal. You'll have to deal with replacing the gasket #22 upon reassembly. Note this doesn't disturb the bearing preload on the transfer output shaft, since removing the extension housing just takes out the shaft #28 from the front of the output shaft. #28 rides inside the output shaft on a needle bearing.. If you pry out the retaining ring #30, the bearing #29 can come out with the shaft #28, and you can put the extension housing on the bench to remove the seal.

Upon putting it back together, make certain the collar #27 is properly oriented, and the needle bearing has some gear oil on it.

I can’t thank you enough, great info and instructions. I like option 1, it sounds more my speed. Will #26 joint flange come off pretty easy or will I need a puller for that as well? If this thing keeps leaking l, I’ll get after it! I built most my 40 with Harbor Freight tools 😀😀

New seal install! Now I wait to see if there are any drips overnight. It wasn’t that bad. I wish I had a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom