For Sale TX 1977 FJ40 - not mine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New to posting on the forum, have read for a few years. I’m in the Dallas area and considering taking a look. Any thoughts from more experienced forum posters? Thanks! The whole site is a treasure trove of info.

Still looking for feedback. Drives well, needs tires, good working AC, VIN’s match including frame. Engine starts right up w slight choke when cold, no smoke. Not sure it has all emissions gear. Very clean underneath. Have also seen additional pics of restoration with tub off, doors and windows off.

Anything I’m missing? Planning on inspection and compression check next week. Has later rims, might locate some steel rims if I move forward.

Nice looking 40 to me. Cool color. It is US spec correct? I don’t know if the price is too high or not but it’s really up to you. Hopefully more people chime in.

Thanks for feedback, I have used MUD posting of VIN codes to verify US Spec. Paint is very good driver quality, not quite show quality imo, but is fresh. Not able to detect any bondo and I do have 15-20 photos of restoration job with tub off, frame pics, etc.

Any feedback is welcome. I have an FJ80 and a 99 LX470. I have a great mechanic but I’m out of state, so using another Indy to inspect it that I got off MUD.

Nice looking FJ40. Seems a good restore job. I would be concerned with excessive Bondo. Price seems high, but the market is is pretty wide right now. If you are good with the price, go for it.

I'm also in the market for a 77 through 83 and have looked at that ad a couple of times. Agree with others that it looks like a nice job on the restoration. I would want more details on the AC and PS as I suppose neither was factory. Also I don't think that color is original; at least not if the color code chart in the 40 FAQ is correct. Medium Blue (857) wasn't available until two or three years later and that is definitely not Sky Blue (854). Personally I don't like the color but that's just my preference. You say you've checked the VIN so do you have a photo of the VIN and the Data plate (on the firewall under the hood)? That would give you the original paint code.

Lastly, the price seems high to me but the owner could easily have that much or more invested.

I'm also in the market for a 77 through 83 and have looked at that ad a couple of times. Agree with others that it looks like a nice job on the restoration. I would want more details on the AC and PS as I suppose neither was factory. Also I don't think that color is original; at least not if the color code chart in the 40 FAQ is correct. Medium Blue (857) wasn't available until two or three years later and that is definitely not Sky Blue (854). Personally I don't like the color but that's just my preference. You say you've checked the VIN so do you have a photo of the VIN and the Data plate (on the firewall under the hood)? That would give you the original paint code.

Lastly, the price seems high to me but the owner could easily have that much or more invested.

Great reply, thanks. I actually have a previous inspection report I can look at when I get home(only loads on my PC) that has photos of VIN plate on firewall. I’ll check it when I get home. Clearly, they were going for an early 80s color scheme w the white wheels.

Maybe I missing the better deals out there. Everywhere I look I find restored US model prices to be pretty high, even when I see them w the wrong top, etc. Even non restored models in good condition seem to be creeping into the 30s. I drove a really nice ‘68 locally, mechanically restored w a weak paint job, no rust, original F engine ran amazing, 3 on the tree wasn’t my favorite, nor the bench seat...but it was a real honest rig that needed an expensive paint job to be complete. But it was $32,600. I’m not embarrassed to offer less.

From what I see in the ad, Overton hasn’t even seen the mustard one in person. If the 77 was mustard would you feel the same, or is it just a color thing? I also won’t pay that for the blue one(I don’t mind the color). I’ll keep looking if it doesn’t come down some.

Anyway, the Mustard one is a good example of non restored over $30k...it looks nice, but who knows, including Overton if he hasn’t driven it. Appears to be rust in several places, unlikely it could get to same condition for difference in price.

Anyway, definitely appreciate the feedback. Just not as concerned about blue color. I like zero rust if I can get it.

Indeed. I guess you are having a similar debate to me. Do I buy something totally restored (dangerous word I know as most people don't really know what that means) and risk having to clean up someone else's mess or do you buy a project? My ideal would be a project as I want to do a complete frame-off but I don't want to replace 20% or more of the body in the process. I also don't want to replace anything on the frame....and I want the original drive train...and I don't want to pay more than $20k if I'm going to spend another $25k or $30k. I know, difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom